Daredevil The Inevitable Costume Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehh it doesn't really look cheap. The actual costume prop is probably quite pricey.

If he wanted to keep the home-made look he would have stuck with the black suit which really was that. But the show explained how he needed something more heavy duty.

i meant to say cheap when compared to an iron-man suit. :oldrazz:

Well Netflix have what? Hundred thousand dollar busgets? Marvel movie have multi million dollar budgets.

The new costume is roughly on par with what Cap has worn in the movies. I think it's a lot better than Cap's costume in the first Avengers film.

It's not a budget issue it's just the style the MCU seems to go with its street level hero's.

I would be curious to see what a Zach Snyder take on the DD costume would be?

The costumes in the current shows are all about functionality, practicality and ulitarianism over style and form.

I think the revised mask is a big improvement at least, so I hope they can continue making tweaks to get it better.

I'm personally indifferent to it. To me, it's not the strongest symbol around. It comes off as relatively uncreative (as if they needed to give him something because everyone else had something and they couldn't think of what else to do). To me, decluttering the costume (and getting rid of all that black) are priorities. I recognize the costume isn't ever going to be as accurate as Deadpool's costume, so then we have to decide what the priorities are.
And that's the crux, is there any real reason why not?

I think the red helmet, horns and lenses vastly improves the overall look of the costume. It holds it together. I'm alright with armored, practical looks in general for superheroes but the one at the end of last season was meh even among armored, practical looks. So I'm very pleased with how Cox looks in this one.

Punisher's skull isn't a deal breaker for me, though it does seem like he'll have it and same with Elektra by the respective ends of their stories.

redhawk23, I think from a storytelling perspective, audiences who haven't read these comics for years like we have need a valid reason for these characters to dress up in tights and masks. Because the prevailing belief is that like tights and spandex in live action look like some cheesy comic book character.

So the reason is that if a vigilante is on the streets, he needs to be wearing a costume for a reason. If Matt Murdock is facing thugs who have knives and guns and weapons, what happens when he gets hurt? Now realistically a monthly comic book doesn't have to deal with that a lot. Or if the character does get hurt or injured he pretty much usually miraculously heals up.

In a TV show, well the format is different. The style is sometimes a bit more visceral. So when you see these characters in flesh and blood, how do you deal with OK this character has been messed up and is hurt badly. He doesn't want to wear armor because it would slow down his fighting moves. But now he has a protective lightweight armor costume that provides him more full body protection in his war against crime.

I assume with things like Captain America, they tried to give him a suit that keeps the stars and stripes but looks more functional and utilitarian. It's more like something a soldier would wear but still has some of the iconic elements. But if he's a soldier shouldn't he wear a helmet with some armor instead of a cowl/mask?

That's my long-winded answer.

Deadpool's comic costume has a lot of similarities to the DD show costume.

They are both vague tactical jumpsuit type suits

DD's comic costume is just red tights and some boxing type trunks, harder to translate fully as Deadpool's comic costume for the reason I've stated.

It wouldn't make sense for him to go for tights/spandex. Nobu almost hooked him to death and Kingpin was pummeling his head in the finale. If the only difference in is costume was that he chose red spndex instead of the black suit his brains would all over Hell's Kitchen right now. Matt has super senses but he still has human limitations. He gets tired and his reflexes will ultimately slow down due to fatigue. he will be extemely prone to injury, the Russians almost knocked him out in the hallway fight. His tactical suit makes complete sense in the narrativee of the show and it also looks like DD especially wwith all the tweaks in S2.

new cowl is so much better. it looks like daredevil! so happy they changed it and that we got to see more of it in the new trailer.

this, this looks like daredevil to me:

ZxDXmWo.png

Looks heaps good in action too. The size and profile is perfectomundo. Arhgfh so happy they listened to all the complaints and changed it.

Yep a massive step in the right direction, horns are better, front is the same color and more natural looking. I like the way though that it evolves after showing the previous one break and in need of repair.

Looks even better in action too.

Deadpool's comic costume has a lot of similarities to the DD show costume.

They are both vague tactical jumpsuit type suits

DD's comic costume is just red tights and some boxing type trunks, harder to translate fully as Deadpool's comic costume for the reason I've stated.

Even then, Dead pool's costume is sleeker and made of larger panels rather than lots of little ones. Its a lot less busy and TDK-batsuit-like. There's no real reason to have black on Daredevil's costume.

It's funny the show really is the heir to the Nolan Batman films. Every time he goes through a costume change it's due to some practical reason that's presented in the plot.

This time around it appears he changes cowl's at least due to Punisher destroying his old one.

redhawk23, I think from a storytelling perspective, audiences who haven't read these comics for years like we have need a valid reason for these characters to dress up in tights and masks. Because the prevailing belief is that like tights and spandex in live action look like some cheesy comic book character.

So the reason is that if a vigilante is on the streets, he needs to be wearing a costume for a reason. If Matt Murdock is facing thugs who have knives and guns and weapons, what happens when he gets hurt? Now realistically a monthly comic book doesn't have to deal with that a lot. Or if the character does get hurt or injured he pretty much usually miraculously heals up.

In a TV show, well the format is different. The style is sometimes a bit more visceral. So when you see these characters in flesh and blood, how do you deal with OK this character has been messed up and is hurt badly. He doesn't want to wear armor because it would slow down his fighting moves. But now he has a protective lightweight armor costume that provides him more full body protection in his war against crime.

I assume with things like Captain America, they tried to give him a suit that keeps the stars and stripes but looks more functional and utilitarian. It's more like something a soldier would wear but still has some of the iconic elements. But if he's a soldier shouldn't he wear a helmet with some armor instead of a cowl/mask?

That's my long-winded answer.

Do they really any more? That's the kind of Early-Aughts, Ashamed of the Source Material approach I'm talking about.

Even then, Dead pool's costume is sleeker and made of larger panels rather than lots of little ones. Its a lot less busy and TDK-batsuit-like. There's no real reason to have black on Daredevil's costume.

There's a fair share of patch-work on the Deadpool suit.

ryan-reynolds-gregor-robertson-deadpool.jpg

Either way my point was why Deadpool's comic look is easier to translate than DD's.

Guys, you are comparing tv costumes to budget film costumes. I think that alone is a badge for DD:yay:. I think the costume as of now and with a DD symbol in the chest could easily stand it's own in Civil War and that's impressive. It's not as good as Deadpool but i can definitely see Daredevil

Deadpool is also a comedy. They can go as outlandish as they want with his costume. Tone is totally different.

Deadpool's costume isn't very outlandish at all though. It's pretty restrained.

If it had come out 10 years ago it might have looked like this:

deadpool2desktop.jpg

But superhero costumes these days have tended more towards being fabric-y and less sculpted.

No one is asking for his costume to be tights (although I don't want leather either). Instead, a slim-fit fabric would be fine. I think the movies feel a costume has to look "busy" to be grounded. Deadpool works because it is a product of the 90s, so it has straps and pouches galore.

All I want for Daredevil is to get rid of the black straps on his abs (it's hard to tell, but I think they got rid of some stuff on his upper chest). I don't mind the black around his neck and I actually really like the black around his arms, but I do wish the costume was more red and less cluttered.

With all the sleek and form fitting bike riding apparel and athletic wear people use out these days I don't see what's wrong with less busy. Also, this is all fictional and some sci fi so why can't materials and fabrics be explained away as being bulitt or blade resistant? And let's stop using the terms tights and or spandex, it's friggin 2016.

They don't need to change the materials, just the colours and the design. The same materials, but less busy and more organic/anatomical would be fine.

Brightened up for yous dudes to see them sweet deets

4haw43.png

Love that ol hornhead has legit horns on the mask. I liked the architectural looking ones in S1 but these are great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"