Daredevil The Inevitable Costume Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why he changed his holster from his right hip to his left when he changed costumes.

Much better than expected. The motion poster did the suit no favors. Still hoping for an upgrade that will make the color more uniform instead of having black sections.

I know, and while I can understand that story point, it was unnecessary, IMO...especially when this guy lives in the same world as Black Widow, a woman who takes on trained killers and aliens in a body suit that looks less protective than the DD one.

The problem is Daredevil presents a world where Matt get's sliced open and you can kill a man with a blow from a hammer. He is not operating on the "I can get slapped by the Hulk and get up".

When I saw the first headshot I figured the suit would look better when you see the whole thing and you see it motion. I'm glad I wasn't wrong. I'm completely on board with this costume.

But I'll admit, I want the "DD" on the chest.

I dig the final costume but there was one thing about the mask the bugged the hell out of me that I couldn't put my finger on it until just now. They covered the nose. I bet they did that to keep it in line with the black mask. But it makes it look more like a Batman mask than a Daredevil mask.

I bet they'll be a few tweeks when the Defenders roll around, I recall Melvin Potter saying somethings weren't finished and I'm certain the D's will be added by then.

But overall I love the costume, it looks practical and doesn't appear to inhibit his movements.

Overall I think the costume is a bit too busy tho I like the practical aspect and the way they had it being designed by a guy who does vests from a special kind of cloth.

I think it's the cowl that looks weird to me. Overall I'd love them to go with a eyeless design to retain the black mask look (really liked that look) and to show the nose, yeah. It looks a bit too much like a red TDK batsuit atm.

I'm fully expecting the costume to continue to evolve in season 2. Something even CLOSER to the classic costume.

The problem is Daredevil presents a world where Matt get's sliced open and you can kill a man with a blow from a hammer. He is not operating on the "I can get slapped by the Hulk and get up".

That world is still within the wider world of the MCU....where again, a woman with no super powers, in an outfit with less armor than Matt's, is still skilled enough to fight off laser wielding aliens. Again, I get what they were trying to do, but it was unnecessary, IMO, given what we see normal heroes do in the MCU. I think you can have a dark, gritty show without completely militarizing outfits. But it is what it is.

I really don't mind the armored look, when done right of course, otherwise you end up with Deathlok, where it looks like a cross between cosplay and pyjamas.

Miles better than a ''costume'', so to speak. We've seen what Matt has to endure, he spent a lot of time on his ass and getting stitched up.

I actually love the liberties they took with translating the suit. I genuinely hope the only change they make is adding the "DD". I'll be disappointed if it's altered to lose any of the black segments or is brought "closer to the comics". I love that it's not head to toe red, and that it looks like it offers a good degree of protection to a street brawler taking on the mob and ninjas in back alleys where cops dare to go. I love that it's taken some cues from the rest of the MCU and decided not to just be a head to toe single bright color. Even the simplest uniforms so far, like Cap's suit in the first Avengers film, had multiple layers of protection and textural design. I also love that it has a hard helmet/head piece, with a soft neck. It's just begging to have scenes where he pulls it off like a hoodie, Nite Owl style. I can't praise the suit they came up with enough. It's iconically Daredevil without slavishly trying adhere to a 2 dimensional illustration. It breathes life into the comic book character while still allowing us to believe that character lives, breathes, survives, and defends night after night in a place like Hell's Kitchen. Kudos on another spot on character design Marvel Studios. You NAILED it, in my opinion.

I demand an interlocked DD on the right chest.

The suit really needs to evolve and be streamlined in the future. Especially with heroes like Black Panther and Spider-Man eventually running around in the MCU.

DscsdVQ.jpg

I don't think you can honestly compare any superhero's costume in the MCU and say they're like for like. Everyone should be judged on their own basis. I think DD's costumes works well within the story they told and seems reasonably within the means of the character. Maybe in the future someone like Danny Rand/Iron Fist funds development for an improved suit, but outside of that this costume feels appropriate in my view.

I already liked the costume.But after seeing it in action(especially that fight) I'm in love.

That world is still within the wider world of the MCU....where again, a woman with no super powers, in an outfit with less armor than Matt's, is still skilled enough to fight off laser wielding aliens. Again, I get what they were trying to do, but it was unnecessary, IMO, given what we see normal heroes do in the MCU. I think you can have a dark, gritty show without completely militarizing outfits. But it is what it is.

In the context of this tv show, Daredevil, as good of a fighter as he is, he's still a brawler. Black widow is an elite level shield agent in hand to hand combat, and regularly uses guns and other gadgets to fight her enemies to avoid taking unnecessary punishment up close. Just because Black Widow doesn't need heavier duty armor, does not mean Matt should be running out unprotected. Matt is just a regular guy, and gets punched, stabbed and prior to the red suit, gets injured way more regularly than Widow normally does. Hell, Cap wears a decent amount of armor in his suit and he has powers, so I think Daredevil having tough armor, that is still light weight, is reasonable.

I like the suit design overall especially as it providing an in story reason for him to not suffer nearly as many gruesome injuries in future seasons. They really did a good job of justifying him having that suit, without looking dumb like kick-ass.

Last edited:
I really hope we get a full suit promo shot or concept art soon

The suit really needs to evolve and be streamlined in the future. Especially with heroes like Black Panther and Spider-Man eventually running around in the MCU.

DscsdVQ.jpg

Early concept art usually isn't the same as the final costume. None of the Marvel costumes are as form fitting and "perfect" as the artwork of them.

Off topic: I hope they do stick with that mask for BP.

On topic: Agreed, nothing ever looks as good as the concept.

I hate the DD helmet/cowl almost as much as it's forebear the Avengers Cap Helmet/cowl otherwise the costume is just fine.

I'm not crazy about the mask, it looks like Batman's hard plastic mask.
jCUfp1v.png

85OgnNK.png

Finally got to the last ep. And wow that costume borders on looking like the worst of the overworked 90s nightmares.
Full of totally unnecessary straps, buckles, clasps, just for the sake of it, only missing the giant shoulder-pads(although hinted at), and pouches.
The black plastic ab elements are laughably embarrassing, like the costume designer insecurely felt they had to over-work it to justify their job.
The over-designing and unnecessary tooling lines on the helmet, which instead of highlighting the brow and eyes giving them expression, instead just runs geometric edges across them, rendering it lifeless.

That said, as long as it's in motion, and rarely fully lit, it reads fine as the DD costume.

Last edited:
Early concept art usually isn't the same as the final costume. None of the Marvel costumes are as form fitting and "perfect" as the artwork of them.

Off topic: I hope they do stick with that mask for BP.

On topic: Agreed, nothing ever looks as good as the concept.

If they use the same material DC is using for Batman's and Superman's costume, then yeah, it can look that good. And DD's oufit is pretty form fitting, if you look at his legs and arms. But then you have the chest, that looks all busy and armored.

But again, if they could tone it down to look more like this, I'd have one less complaint.

RXTvsy0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"