Daredevil The Inevitable Costume Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone already did

I thought the suit looked awesome in the show itself. However, I think it could be improved if they made the cowl less busy (eyebrows... really?) and maybe made the black parts red... but those are just nitpicks, I really liked the final product.

Here's a manip I made:
CCVp3aJWMAAZIGD.png:large

I think it looks great. Of course, my only other exposure to DD is the 2003 movie, so what do I know? I think it's practical and works within the confines of the show. He's got to stay agile but at the same time, needs some physical protection. Also, stealth is one of his most important skills used throughout the show. Running around in a bright red suit just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, but kevlar and heavy padding don't make me think of acrobatic running and jumping off buildings. It reads as slow.

The cowl looks very weird. They should expose his nose a bit more, similar to the flash cowl.

I thought the nose guard looked kinda odd in some shots but it makes sense for a character like daredevil to have one.

I'd like to compare for a moment, all emotions and bad memories aside, the cowl/mask for each Ben's and Charlie's red costume.

daredevil_affleck.jpg

daredevil-red-1.jpg

I'm personally on Ben's side here. Very simple. Much more accurate to the comics.

I was very afraid that the costume would look bad. It turns out that while it doesn't look like a straight from the comics adaptation like Snyder's Batfleck or Reynolds Deadpool, it's still greatly functional and grounded, literally Marvel's version for TDK's Batman suit, and I love it. I think that they are going to streamline the costume to look more like in the comics in the second season, but I genuinely LOVE the overall design: the nose protection, the way that the costume blends with the darkness while in motion. It's just truly fantastic that Marvel has pulled Daredevil off the way they did.

Daredevil is truly one of the greatest achievements that Marvel has done in terms of live action adaptation of their comics, and I'm more than ready for season 2.

Yeah, but kevlar and heavy padding don't make me think of acrobatic running and jumping off buildings. It reads as slow.

The costume in no way looks like it has heavy padding. Also, how do you know he's wearing kevlar? What if he's wearing carbon fiber plating?

I thought the suit looked awesome in the show itself. However, I think it could be improved if they made the cowl less busy (eyebrows... really?) and maybe made the black parts red... but those are just nitpicks, I really liked the final product.

Here's a manip I made:
CCVp3aJWMAAZIGD.png:large

I like that a lot. I'm even OK with a darker red, so long as it has the same consistent color. I still like that it's fabric compared to Affleck's leather suit and I think the texturing does it good. Maybe cut down a bit on the abs. Although it's less molded than a Batman suit I don't think they're necessary at all.

It would be awesome if DD somehow gets in touch with SHIELD or something and they end up making a new suit for him that's much sleeker but still protective enough.

Frickin' loved the costume, comic accuracy be damned.

I don't think I've ever said or argued for "comic accuracy be damned" ever before. :funny: It's like this frickin' show put a spell on me or something. :funny:

Great job on the manip, but I like the direction they've taken with the costume. Yes, the helmet/cowl needs some work just like Cap's Avengers cowl needed work. But in-universe the current costume seems to make sense.

I have no doubt we'll get something in between the current costume and a more comic book accurate costume by the time Season 2 rolls around. But I don't think we'll ever go full Affleck-Daredevil costume, and for good reason.

They covered the nose because Cox has a funny nose, I reckon. He's a good-looking guy, but he has a cute little hobbit nose and not a straight classically handsome superhero nose, like your Ben Afflecks or Chris Evanses. They might have tried the other way and he might just have looked a bit funny.

In some scenes it looked like he had red lenses on? Was that just me? Especially while he was talking to the police sergeant after beating Fisk.

Finished the season last night, so good, but to be honest, the final battle in the suit I found to be the least interesting part.

The suit looked good, thankfully doesn't come across as bulky as the torso shots make it look.

Really it's just the torso that looks a bit bulky, the rest moves like a jumpsuit, I found.

That said, the final fight just felt so underwhelming compared to every other fight in the show so far.
Also, as well as he could move in the final suit, Cox was clearly no where near as fluid in it as he was in the black jumpsuit. Especially noticeable when he's grabbing his sticks, pulling them out of the holster, or attaching, or detaching them from each other.

Also, surprisingly, especially considering how dark the whole series was, I found they over lit the final fight. Yes, there were lots of dark shadows, but the light that there was, I think, was just too bright, and not the most flattering to both the suit, and the scene/fight.

Long story short though, DAMN excited for the next season, or The Defenders, whichever comes first. Not to mention the other 3 Netflix shows coming.

They covered the nose because Cox has a funny nose, I reckon. He's a good-looking guy, but he has a cute little hobbit nose and not a straight classically handsome superhero nose, like your Ben Afflecks or Chris Evanses. They might have tried the other way and he might just have looked a bit funny.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too.

One thing I noticed with the black mask was that, especially with where it cut across the face, you really wouldn't recognize him if you knew Matt in real life.
That also comes across in the red mask too.

I'm not minding the covering of the nose as much as I'm not a fan of the rest of the mouth cut out shape.
Too Batman. Aside from the exposed nose, DD's cowl has always had a less angular cut mouth opening. More like the Nolan/Bale masks really, though I really never liked that aspect of those masks, at least not on Batman/Bale.

I think it makes sense to cover his nose – in a brawl there's a good chance you're gonna get punched in the hooter, and Matt wouldn't be able to keep explaining away broken noses... blind or not!

I'm sorry to let you down, I have no other reason here but to comment on the two characters similarities to their suits.

sorry - wasn't meant to sound like I was having a go!

I loved the DD series, but more than a hint of the Bat's influence throughout the series!

Personally I quite like the suit, but think there's something a bit off with the cowl... I think it's because it has a nose and makes it look more like Batman... even the little nick on the cheeks are very Batman... more so than every screen Batman cowl to date!
My only other gripe (and it's a minor one) is why the makers are shying away from using a strong red colour. The Flash TV series has the same problem... it's like they're embarrassed to use actual 'red' and instead go for a dark claret colour.

He looks like the Flash.Why couldn't they give him eye lens,and make the horns stand out better and make the helmet not so bulky looking.Im expecting him to move super fast cause this looks like the Flash.

On reflection I suppose there's really no need for DD to have eye openings on the cowl, so something similar to the movie cowl would have looked pretty cool.

Rubbish costume. The series is much better than the movie except the red costume, which the movie costume absolutely destroys the TV version.

I had no real issues with the costume. It was actually better than I expected it to be all things considered.

I actually preferred the all black costume to the red mess at the end of the season.

On reflection I suppose there's really no need for DD to have eye openings on the cowl, so something similar to the movie cowl would have looked pretty cool.

You people do realise the costume doesn't have eye openings right? Look closer, it has lenses, they just aren't bug eyed like Afflecks.

Ive got no issue with the costume.

The black/red suit looks much better in action than the officially released stills which are possibly the worst shots of it. Doing several freeze frames of the suit in better light and the helmet from various angles it looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95