Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avengers 2 almost has to feature Thanos, especially if he is apart of Guardians. Otherwise we are looking at a six year tease. That is kind of ridiculous. It is not like Thanos can't show up, be defeated and then come back again, with his gauntlet.

The Mandarin has been teased for 5 years and now we're getting him. I doubt an extra year would matter all that much.

The Mandarin has been teased for 5 years and now we're getting him. I doubt an extra year would matter all that much.

There is teasing, and there is having the character show up on screen in the middle of your credits. Most people didn't even know the Mandarin was being teased. Thanos smiled at the prospect of courting death.

I think anyone who's still in the dark will understand that his influence goes all the way back to the first film once IM3 comes out. But if that doesn't fit you can always use the Emperor scenario from SW.

I'm also starting to think Thanos should be saved for Phase 3, but I also want Ultron to be the main baddie of Phase 3. I just don't know if saving Thanos for Phase 3 will make his character almost get boring, the only example I can think of is I don't want to see much more Loki outside of Thor movies since he has to be there, but I'm pretty over his character for now.

Well if you look back at Phase 1, we had one film prior to the ensemble film that introduced us and the audience the future main baddie for the Avengers: Loki.

If Thanos does show up in Guardians, then it makes sense that he'll be in the sequel since I can't think of any other character at the moment that's big enough to threaten the group, more so than Loki, that could appear within one of the upcoming Phase 2 films before the Avengers sequel hits theaters.

There is teasing, and there is having the character show up on screen in the middle of your credits. Most people didn't even know the Mandarin was being teased. Thanos smiled at the prospect of courting death.

Exactly.
Mandarin hasn't been "teased" at all in the IM series. Mandarin hasn't even *existed* until IM3. The only thing remotely hinting at his existence was, of course, the name of the terrorist group (Ten Rings). If they'd intended to tease Mandarin, they would've at least mentioned him by name, shown some shadowy silhouette, implied that there was one man who was the driving force behind Ten Rings, etc. Fav chose to do none of that; and Black even initially went into IM3 without any intention whatsoever of including Mandarin in this movie. (Ghost was the original villain of the IM3 script.)

OTOH, Thanos has not only an implicit presence in the MCU by now, but an explicit one as well. They're not going to string audiences along for 6 frickin' years before delivering a payoff.

I think anyone who's still in the dark will understand that his influence goes all the way back to the first film once IM3 comes out. But if that doesn't fit you can always use the Emperor scenario from SW.

I am sure they are going to make it more apparent, but there was no indication that he was a mastermind in the first two films. There just wasn't, especially for the general audience.

Thanos was more akin to the Joker card in Batman Begins or Loki and the cube at the end of Thor. Complete context that makes it very apparent to everyone involved what to expect next. If he is a big presence in Guardians, that will just make it more so.

Last edited:
Exactly.
Mandarin hasn't been "teased" at all in the IM series. Mandarin hasn't even *existed* until IM3. The only thing remotely hinting at his existence was, of course, the name of the terrorist group (Ten Rings). If they'd intended to tease Mandarin, they would've at least mentioned him by name, shown some shadowy silhouette, implied that there was one man who was the driving force behind Ten Rings, etc. Fav chose to do none of that; and Black even initially went into IM3 without any intention whatsoever of including Mandarin in this movie. (Ghost was the original villain of the IM3 script.)

OTOH, Thanos has not only an implicit presence in the MCU by now, but an explicit one as well. They're not going to string audiences along for 6 frickin' years before delivering a payoff.

I agree that we shouldn't have a six-year wait for Thanos to appear in an Avengers movie, but if he shows up in TA2, then who will they top as the Big Bad that follows Thanos' footsteps? Or maybe Thanos will win in TA2 (a la The Galactic Empire's victory in ESB), then TA3 will set up his eventual defeat? That could work, given how powerful Thanos is. That just means we will never get the Ultron storyline in the trilogy, though.

Anyone else going to be a little disappointed if
Tony never confronts the Mandarin during the final battle. I'm a little concerned especially since the IM series might take at least the next phase or two off and Avengers 2 is expected to feature Thanos. Don't want anothe situation ala The Leader from TIH
Don't worry. If Tony is incapacitated Pepper will take Mandarin on:

Those Extremis soldiers seemed like they're more powerful than Super Soldiers like Rogers. I mean, the ability to melt armors? Super strength? And there's an army of them? Sheesh!

Very true, but I figured that when we found out that IM needs an IM army to take them on,

I agree that we shouldn't have a six-year wait for Thanos to appear in an Avengers movie, but if he shows up in TA2, then who will they top as the Big Bad that follows Thanos' footsteps? Or maybe Thanos will win in TA2 (a la The Galactic Empire's victory in ESB), then TA3 will set up his eventual defeat? That could work, given how powerful Thanos is. That just means we will never get the Ultron storyline in the trilogy, though.

A movie franchise doesn't need to "one-up" itself with each successive sequel. A franchise is sustained not by making an even bigger threat with each episode; but by creating an even more interesting story each time. That can certainly be accomplished without having to make the overall threat bigger.

It's about the storytelling, not the fireworks.

Wow lot's of greedy peeps out there, whadda ya bet the theaters get over 15 bucks again in the next couple years?

Huh? I already purchased tickets from an AMC through Fandango. What does that mean for that then?
I'm sure they'll have to honor the ticket, but I'd call them to make sure the theater will take them

Yes a person with no training nor combat experience will take him down.
NO THANKS.

Pretty sure he was just joking when he said that, but devil's advocate here: I think there's a strong possibility that Pepper is extremis-ized. In that state, she could kick Mandarin's ass up one side of the docks and down the other.

Pretty sure he was just joking when he said that, but devil's advocate here: I think there's a strong possibility that Pepper is extremis-ized. In that state, she could kick Mandarin's ass up one side of the docks and down the other.

That would be a toilet break scene for me then.
No interest in ass kicking Gwen at all.

Was wondering why I couldn't get a ticket for my local AMC theater yet...

They better get this crap cleared up soon! I WANT MY IRON MAN 3 MIDNIGHT SCREENING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"