Iron Man 3 The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

I liked it when Tony lied to Killian about meeting on the roof later. It really helped reinforce the fact that Stark was a real a-hole before the events in IM1.

I don't think Tony was being malicious. I think its just because he had a short-attention span. I don't think he really meant to hurt Killian in that way.

Eh, it was a combination of things. He was drunk, he really wanted Maya, and he was a bit of an arrogant jerk back then. He hadn't gone through the whole "terrorists nearly killed me with my own weapons" character development yet. He blew off that award ceremony in Vegas in the first movie, after all.

Eh, it was a combination of things. He was drunk, he really wanted Maya, and he was a bit of an arrogant jerk back then. He hadn't gone through the whole "terrorists nearly killed me with my own weapons" character development yet. He blew off that award ceremony in Vegas in the first movie, after all.

Agreed.

I don't think Tony was being malicious. I think its just because he had a short-attention span. I don't think he really meant to hurt Killian in that way.

You're probably right. Still, it was a nice nod to how much Tony has changed. I can't see him doing something like that in the present.

I hate to say it, but,
[BLACKOUT]Ruffalo looked terrible in the post credit scene.[/BLACKOUT]

I hate to say it, but,
[BLACKOUT]Ruffalo looked terrible in the post credit scene.[/BLACKOUT]

Agreed. My brother couldn't even recognize him until I told him who that actor is. I hope he'll get in shape before TA2.

I've never seen an opinion of a movie so divided. It seems people either loved or hated it... very few 4-7/10 rangers.... I'm 8/10 Flawed but good

to be honest, and while i get peoples complaints about Mandarin, that's really the only major complaint people have. which, is actually pretty good. Also, i wonder how many people who complain about mandarin, actually know much about modern mandarin? and the whole Extrimis story arc?

I'm a bit torn on the subject. I felt for a movie the story was pretty genius, the parallels the hero commentary, etc.. all very brilliant. But it was indeed done at the expense of Iron Man's greatest enemy...

that also being said.. the story wouldn't have worked for anyone else in Tony's rogue's gallery.

Maybe we will get lucky and see more of a "true mandarin" in the form of Count Nefaria in IM4. Nefaria is pretty lame in general.. so combining him and Mandarin would be a decent idea.

make Killian be a major ruse or something i dont know... It'd be nice to have classic Mandarin, but they did a stellar job at modern mandarin imo

For me, I was just disappointed that an actor of Ben Kingsley's caliber, portraying a villain that is considered to be Iron Man's greatest foe, was turned into another comic relief character. I'm getting tired of how Tony seems to be living in a world where everything is a joke to him and all the other characters make idiots of themselves. It makes the drama and conflict seem artificial.

I mean, we had already had Happy, Rhodey, Jarvis and Tony himself as comic relief, did we really need another 'wacky' character? So far the only villain that Iron Man has faced that had any real menace was Stane. Killian's motivation combined with Guy Pearce's effeminate performance didn't quite cut it, as entertaining as it was.

Nothing in the film was bad, and overall I enjoyed it, the action in particular was great. But I consider this to be the MCU's first major misstep, because it shows an increase in the wacky comedy that until now was secondary to the portrayal of Marvel's rich characters.

i didn't think Killian was effeminate at all.. just a prick
He was both. Don't get me wrong, I liked the nuances in his performances, the sneers, the needless displays of authority that came from gaining power after years of being nerdy and crippled. I just spent the whole film craving a villain that exuded pure menace.

I kept seeing this practice every time... putting down another film to feel good about a preference to another film. This **** needs to stop.

:doh::doh::doh:

I like the music in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVohTmDYBM

Hey I liked TDKR :D It was just for comparison sake, the mandarin was never going to work on screen,what they did with him in the movie was the clever thing to do IN MY OPINION :)

to be honest, and while i get peoples complaints about Mandarin, that's really the only major complaint people have. which, is actually pretty good. Also, i wonder how many people who complain about mandarin, actually know much about modern mandarin? and the whole Extrimis story arc?

I'm a bit torn on the subject. I felt for a movie the story was pretty genius, the parallels the hero commentary, etc.. all very brilliant. But it was indeed done at the expense of Iron Man's greatest enemy...

that also being said.. the story wouldn't have worked for anyone else in Tony's rogue's gallery.

Maybe we will get lucky and see more of a "true mandarin" in the form of Count Nefaria in IM4. Nefaria is pretty lame in general.. so combining him and Mandarin would be a decent idea.

make Killian be a major ruse or something i dont know... It'd be nice to have classic Mandarin, but they did a stellar job at modern mandarin imo

There was a "true Mandarin" in the film. Killian was the true Mandarin. He even had powers and was able to go toe-to-toe with Iron Man without having to wear armor himself. The powers granted by Extremis weren't the same as those from the rings, but they were better in that they could be explained by comic book science and allowed Killian to be on par with Stark in a way that comic book Mandarin isn't. And he had a dragon, too, albeit in the form of a tattoo on his torso. Killian was the Mandarin, just as he said at the end, but he simply wasn't the dated, offensive Asian stereotype Mandarin from the comics.

JAK®;25778979 said:
For me, I was just disappointed that an actor of Ben Kingsley's caliber, portraying a villain that is considered to be Iron Man's greatest foe, was turned into another comic relief character. I'm getting tired of how Tony seems to be living in a world where everything is a joke to him and all the other characters make idiots of themselves. It makes the drama and conflict seem artificial.

I mean, we had already had Happy, Rhodey, Jarvis and Tony himself as comic relief, did we really need another 'wacky' character? So far the only villain that Iron Man has faced that had any real menace was Stane. Killian's motivation combined with Guy Pearce's effeminate performance didn't quite cut it, as entertaining as it was.

Nothing in the film was bad, and overall I enjoyed it, the action in particular was great. But I consider this to be the MCU's first major misstep, because it shows an increase in the wacky comedy that until now was secondary to the portrayal of Marvel's rich characters.

his effeminate performance? dude...he's been the toughest and most menacing villain yet!

I have to admit. I'm scratching my head to where someone gets effeminate from Guy's performance. I can list some flaws with the character and how he was portrayed, but I really struggle to think of any scene where he was effeminate. Geeky is about as close as I can think, but that's just the prologue really.

I have to admit. I'm scratching my head to where someone gets effeminate from Guy's performance. I can list some flaws with the character and how he was portrayed, but I really struggle to think of any scene where he was effeminate. Geeky is about as close as I can think, but that's just the prologue really.

This comes to mind...

36679436.jpg

his effeminate performance? dude...he's been the toughest and most menacing villain yet!

Yeah, there were points where Killian and his Extremis soldiers were positively horrifying. Their powers were chillingly brutal. I'd like to see some survivors or perhaps unrevealed Extremis test subjects pop up in future MCU films.

Maybe it was the long, stringy hair? Because that's all I can think of that someone would think of as effeminate in Killian's appearance. :whatever:

One thing I loved about Pearce's performance was that he was somehow able to make himself look geeky and less attractive just by facial expression after his ugly duckling-to-swan transformation. There were moments when he was talking to Tony that his face fell into the sort of odd expression he had when disabled an you could see that sickly man again, underneath the attractive veneer. It was odd and quite brilliant.

Yeah, I loved Guy Pearce as Killian. Pearce is a fantastic actor and still hasn't got the proper recognition he deserves; I hope Killian changes all that.

And people complain that Kingsley was a "better" villain because he was more in-your-face, out there, charismatic and over the top, while Killian was a quiet storm. They fail to realize that the whole plot absolutely dictated that it had to be that way, because the whole point was that Kingsley had to be the distraction that Tony and Iron Patriot and the US and everybody would focus on, so that Killian could continue his nefarious deeds in the shadows. If Killian had been the kind of villain he becomes in the climax, then the whole scheme falls apart immediately.

Maybe it was the long, stringy hair? Because that's all I can think of that someone would think of as effeminate in Killian's appearance. :whatever:

He was talking about his performance though, not appearance.

I just got an email telling me that my concept art book has just been dispatched!

I know people are determined to disagree with me, but my use of the term 'effeminate' was not a criticism as such, so you can all chill out. I feel that he was effeminate because of his mannerisms, the way he bobs his head and smiles. I thought it was effective because it reflected a sense of vanity that he had attained through Extremis after years of being nerdy and crippled.

So there was nothing wrong with Killian, I just wanted to see a more classically menacing villain, like the Mandarin appeared to be in the trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"