Age of Ultron The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

I like it, has a bit of the bleeding edge armor coloring to it

C'mon RDJ give the people what they want and do a Iron Man 4

Id happily ride the Marvel bus until people told me to get off. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity and the best one you could have right now as an actor.

RDJ should stick around awhile. People love that character. At least he can do Iron Man 4 and Avengers 3 first before he splits.

6V2wQsO.jpg

Like a freaking BOSS!!!

The entire "we'll just James Bond it" agenda from Marvel Studios (first Feige and now Russo) has always seemed like something of a false parallel to me. The James Bond flicks, for the most part, are a string of largely unconnected movies, simply with familiar characters. The MCU is its own living, breathing continuity-beast. Yes, Marvel Studios will face the challenge of replacing franchise center-pieces like Downey, Evans and Hemsworth in the future... but they'll have to go about it much more carefully than just "Bonding" it.

Yeah, I hate the Bond comparison. I want them to recast altogether, switching actors in between sequels and team ups would just be beyond stupid. When RDJ is done with the character, kill him off and switch the roster around with other characters, then eventually when they run out of important characters, start over. Start with the big ones again except try to make it even better.

So long as there are good stories to tell involving Stark why kill him off simply because the actor portraying him moves on?
Following up RDJ seems impossible but Marvel Studios have proven many times that they can cast brilliantly and it is just a much better idea than simply killing off all the best heroes each time a contract expires and also a better idea than rebooting the cinematic universe.

That was a great interview. The way that RDJ talked about working for Marvel makes you think that maybe he'll stick with the studio for a bit longer. "Sooner or later, they’ve got to start over and get somebody young. I’m not there with them yet. It really is the closest thing to being a beloved contract player with a big old-timey studio that there is right now. When you really think about it at the end of the day, these films are entertainment largely driven by young folks. There is something very honorable about that."

RDJ's birthday is April 4th, so he's getting a print of CATWS and inviting 50 kids over to see it. Movie stars' kids have all the luck. :cwink:

I think if the money works out, RDJ would gladly do an Iron Man 4. He seems to really love it and Marvel would make room for him, maybe even give it a Christmas release to squeeze it in with the other Phase 3 films. But at this point after backing up the Brinks truck for Avengers 2 and 3, I think they would have to give him a Jack Nicholson deal, as in a slice of the merchandise. He alludes to it in the Variety interview with the toys, so that would probably be the only thing to bag him for IM4.

That was a great interview. The way that RDJ talked about working for Marvel makes you think that maybe he'll stick with the studio for a bit longer. "Sooner or later, they’ve got to start over and get somebody young. I’m not there with them yet. It really is the closest thing to being a beloved contract player with a big old-timey studio that there is right now. When you really think about it at the end of the day, these films are entertainment largely driven by young folks. There is something very honorable about that."

RDJ's birthday is April 4th, so he's getting a print of CATWS and inviting 50 kids over to see it. Movie stars' kids have all the luck. :cwink:

I'm sure RDJ has a large home theatre room in his mansion to see the movie like he would at the AMC. It's very cool to see that he will invite 50 kids to see TWS with him on his birthday, and in the interview I think he does leave an open door to return even as he was discussing about leaving the character for good.

This looks great! I hope this suit is already past the prototype phase and is as durable and functional like the others. Also I hope it assembles on him like the mk 42.

Yeah, I hate the Bond comparison. I want them to recast altogether, switching actors in between sequels and team ups would just be beyond stupid. When RDJ is done with the character, kill him off and switch the roster around with other characters, then eventually when they run out of important characters, start over. Start with the big ones again except try to make it even better.

No, killing off Tony Stark would be beyond stupid. The Avengers and Iron Man movies have a combined 3.942 billion in the WW BO. And you think they should kill him off after the Avengers? Lol.

I hope this suit is already past the prototype phase and is as durable and functional like the others. Also I hope it assembles on him like the mk 42.

That's what I'm hoping too, and I think that's what we'll see if the on-screen armor resembles the Mk42 as closely as this costume does.

I'd also like to see some of the modular aspects of the Marvel NOW! armor incorporated with the Mk42 concept, where he could call other specialized pieces to him and integrate them into the armor he's currently wearing.

I wonder if this movie will have Tony's reaction to the fact that
his father was in fact murdered by HYDRA

I wonder if this movie will have Tony's reaction to the fact that
his father was in fact murdered by HYDRA

well i'm sure that he already suspected because of
the giant shootout between Hydra and SHIELD
at his dad's funeral.

No, killing off Tony Stark would be beyond stupid. The Avengers and Iron Man movies have a combined 3.942 billion in the WW BO. And you think they should kill him off after the Avengers? Lol.

:doh:
yes, because casting an entirely different actor for Avengers 4 and Iron Man 4 and pretending its the same guy will go over so well.

yes, because casting an entirely different actor for Avengers 4 and Iron Man 4 and pretending its the same guy will go over so well.

Recasting worked for Bruce Banner, Rhodey, Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne, Superman and many other characters, so why wouldn't it work for Tony Stark?

It worked for Bod, it worked for Jack Ryan and in the MCU itself it worked for Banner, Rhodey, Fandral and Howard Stark.
It's like saying 'Well, I hope after Stan Lee stops writing The Avengers they just kill those characters off. No one will accept a different writer for that book'
The opposite is true

It's more difficult in this case because Iron Man IS RDJ. It's not like RDJ is Iron Man.

The likes of Spidey and Batman and Superman are icons as characters. RDJ made Iron Man an icon. If it wasn't for RDJ no one would give a **** about Iron Man.

It's not impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult and there will be more problems than re-casting the likes of Spidey or Batman.

It's more difficult in this case because Iron Man IS RDJ. It's not like RDJ is Iron Man.

The likes of Spidey and Batman and Superman are icons as characters. RDJ made Iron Man an icon. If it wasn't for RDJ no one would give a **** about Iron Man.

It's not impossible, but it's going to be very, very difficult and there will be more problems than re-casting the likes of Spidey or Batman.

How about Dr. Banner and Rhodey? These were recast without any problem. As much as the fact that GA now identifies Tony Stark as RDJ, the same thing happened with Sean Connelly and James Bond but they still managed to recast this iconic role. You cannot expect Marvel to stop making anymore Iron Man movies just because RDJ decides to retire from superhero movies for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"