Age of Ultron The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

As long as the movies stay quality, then there's zero reason to complain.

Thats the main goal. If they do Iron Man 7, 8 9 with a new Tony Stark and the movies kick ass, Ill be back to apologize for my crazy rants :woot:

Who gives a **** if he's had 6 movies, 10 years of exposure! Should they retire Batman just becuase he's been on film since the 40s, with atleast one movie each decade since? Same with Spider-Man, he's going to have almost 20 years of being in motion pictures from Raimi until Webb.

Another thing this has been the most popular Iron Man has ever been. From 1963-2008, Iron Man was in zero live action movies and tv shows, one decent animated series that only lasted one season, the one before it was abysmal, never took part in any major comic book cross over event (he was there for Secret Wars, but Rhodey was in the suit and made Iron Man look like a dumbass in the eyes of a lot of hereos there), never had his own video game, and pretty much took a back seat to most characters. He's now finally getting some spot light after all these years, has movies being made that the general audience is loving and finally has merchandise that people are buying, and they should just kill him off at the height of his popularity? Nonsense. :whatever:

Theres ONE key difference between Batman, and James Bond, and all The other characters that have been recast... They do not exist in an ongoing cinematic universe where other characters are getting their own films.
Yes. They should kill him off when RDJ retires(for a while at least), it makes more sense story wise than endlessly recasting him in the MCU just to be able to sell more toys continuously.

Why keeping make Iron Man 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, when they could make a Black Panther film? Doctor Strange? Inhumans? Give the character a freakin' breather. We don't need to see him every year.

Last edited:
They've only sratched the surface of Tony Stark as far as character development goes, so killing him off to prevent a recast would strike me as a wasted oppurtunity.

Plus, I think the character is being given a breather considering that, at this juncture at least, it seems likely that we wont see an IM4 in Phase 3. So after AOU next year, we probably wont see Stark until Avengers 3 around 2018, out side of maybe a cameo somewhere. And then there is the possibility that we may not see Iron Man at all in Phase IV in order for Marvel to esablish other characters.

RDJs birthday party/Cap 2 screening for his kids and friends

CfZCDid.jpg

I'm ready for see more Tony Stark. I'm sure they'll have him suit up again, regardless of what happened at the end of Iron Man 3. Speaking of such, I have the urge to watch that film again. I've only seen it a few times, but remember liking it quite a bit.

I would think they'll head toward Tony Stark: Director of SHIELD.

This could be a good way to retain RDJ in MCU by giving him a role that will not be physically demanding to do.

he could take Senator Stern's old job. lol.

That makes Tony's committee meeting comments in IM 2 even cooler now that we've seen who Sen. "F*** you Mr Stark" Stern really works for. :word:

Do you think theyll actually keep SHIELD going? I dont. The Avengers will take the place of it so theres no chance of it being infiltrated again. Hence the A on caps suit.

Last edited:

I don't see that happening. The MCU Stark is far less politically minded than comic book Stark. Plus
SHIELD probably doesn't even exist anymore after TWS.
I mean, I know everyone asks for a civil war movie, but I don't think movie Stark would ever be pro-registration. Also a civil war movie would be stupid for other reasons also.

Iron Man's journey as a character has gone on for 50 years, staying true to the character would be Tony Stark continuing on as Iron Man for as long as they keep making these movies.

This isn't Rorschach from Watchmen where there's a beginning and ultimately an end to the character.

Thank goodness Feige is running things and has confirmed that Tony Stark story will continue with different actors and not people with your mindset.

If Coulson who got a spear through his heart and Bucky (I haven't seen TWS, I assume he dies and comes back somehow) come back from the dead then there is no way in hell Marvel/Disney will kill off Tony Stark.

I don't even know why it's even up for debate or why I'm still talking about it. I'm done.

While I do like this mindset, if say, the big names from A1 all choose to retire from their roles in A3, I would very much enjoy it seeming like the end of an era/ series. Similar to how the comic book world gets soft reboots every generation of readers or so.

Then with all new actors you can have a world where the events from all the films between IM-A3 occurred in some fashion, but not necessarily exactly how it was shown previously.

I think that strikes a nice balance between having a nice, open and closed story, but also just representing the first chapter.

They need to keep the timeline of the MCU the same and just recast the actors. Itll be weird and offputting if they try to erase things that have happened already.

It just occurred to me that Tony still must have his suits. When Pierce says to Fury "You gotta get Iron Man to go to my granddaughter's birthday party. And not just a fly-by, he's gotta mingle."

Apparently the clean slate protocol wasn't totally a clean slate.

I'm sure he started building suits again shortly after IM3. He and Pepper healed from their respective conditions, he took some time off with her, and then they each got back to business. While Pepper brings home the bread as CEO at Stark Industries Tony began work on more suits.

Maybe he even rebuilds his hall of armor, with a gold-titanium replica of the Mark I...

Last edited:
I'm sure he started building suits again shortly after IM3. He and Pepper healed from their respective conditions, he took some time off with her, and when then they each got back to business. While Pepper brings home the bread as CEO at Stark Industries Tony began work on more suits.

Maybe he even rebuilds his hall of armor, with a gold-titanium replica of the Mark I...

This. To put all arguments to close, the ending of IM3 has Tony Stark explicitly say he's still Iron Man.

The clean slate was just to remove the distractions from his life. Those particular armors represented his paranoia and neglect of what matters in his life. Doesn't mean he's not going to make new armors though.

You gotta remember all those suits were prototypes anyway, I say he just finished the mark 42, another suit and the hulkbuster

It was one of those things that was left hanging at the end of IM3, but the fact he picked up the arm (whose name escapes me - Dummy?) did imply that the suits would be returning. Stands to reason that in the interim he's built more.

There's also no guarantee Pierce knows he blew up the suits, and Fury blatantly has no intention to see that promise through :funny:

Was watching IM3 the other day and this thought occurred to me...

By IM2 it's pretty clear that most of the suits have their own arc reactors, then in IM3 they definitely do, as they're operating independently of Tony. Then I remembered this quote from Joss on Tony removing his chest arc reactor, and it got me thinking...

“Well they just replace it, it’s elsewhere.” Whedon replied while gesturing toward a location we’re certain it won’t be in the film. “I can’t give it all away but he’s still got it.”

He's joking a bit, yes, but he does say Tony will still have it. Since Ultron is probably a direct result of Stark's technology, including an arc reactor, what if Ultron's uprising makes Tony realize that it was irresponsible of him to have multiple suits that could operate autonomously? This could lead him to removing/destroying the arc reactors in his individual suits and putting one final miniaturized arc reactor back in his chest, making him the only one capable of piloting Iron Man armor and eliminating future possibilities of suits/arc reactor technology going rogue, ala Ultron.

This could serve as a nice part of Tony's character arc (pun intended) while also justifying/rectifying my biggest problem with IM3, the removal of the arc reactor.

Last edited:
oh I didn't see that thread so posted this on discussion post but rdj is also in london along with mark,chris and scarlett

jki6uNw.jpg

and he said on twitter that he'll see mark ruffalo soon

So awesome AOU is filming, the ol gang is back together again!

I was thinking that maybe they would want to try the long hair for Tony. It was recurrent in the comics. With just one movie left I don't think we will see it.

Can we have Tony hit on Wanda at least once, and see Pietro's reaction, pretty please?

I don't really get why Tony should be killed off. Like someone here mentioned, it's a wasted potential. There are so many stories to tell with Iron Man, why does he have to die? As much as I dread RDJ hanging up the his armours, the stories should go on and recasting is the only way.

@drod1985
That's a really nice idea :-) Personally I am not a fan of Tony removing the arc reactor from his chest.

They don't necessarily have to keep making Iron Man movies every now and then. Just make one when the story (in MCU) needs it, maybe?

I think after AOU RDJ should come back once more in Avengers 3 and then quit. Id rather have him keep his current status secure than milk the hell out of Iron Man for years. He doesnt need to do that imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"