Age of Ultron The IRON MAN Thread - Robert Downey Jr. Returning!

How about Dr. Banner and Rhodey? These were recast without any problem. As much as the fact that GA now identifies Tony Stark as RDJ, the same thing happened with Sean Connelly and James Bond but they still managed to recast this iconic role. You cannot expect Marvel to stop making anymore Iron Man movies just because RDJ decides to retire from superhero movies for good.

Sean Connelly, the lesser known cousin of Bond actor Sean Connery :funny:

So long as there are good stories to tell involving Stark why kill him off simply because the actor portraying him moves on?

At least 6 film appearances is more than enough for Iron Man. Whenever RDJ calls time, I vote to retire the character as well.

You can't have a universe of eternal characters when actors age and the production time of a film universe is more restrictive than a comic medium. There's a ton of characters left to mine and explore, already more than fit the schedule. Give them a shot. Tony Stark will have had 10 years of exposure at least by that point.

At least 6 film appearances is more than enough for Iron Man. Whenever RDJ calls time, I vote to retire the character as well.

You can't have a universe of eternal characters when actors age and the production time of a film universe is more restrictive than a comic medium. There's a ton of characters left to mine and explore, already more than fit the schedule. Give them a shot. Tony Stark will have had 10 years of exposure at least by that point.

They won't entirely get rid of a money maker. It's bad business.

There's no reason Iron Man can't be recast. I think they should give the character a vacation, though, when the time comes, not retire him outright.

RDJ as Iron Man is the money maker.

You got it. We go see these movies because RDJ makes Tony Stark a cool character outside the suit. The action/FX are cool but his unique personality and great acting are whats most important at the end of the day.

So, for those that HAVE SEEN CA:TWS.....

Do you guys think this film should/could bring up Tony knowing about on how Hydra were in fact the ones responsible for the deaths of his parents and his response to that knowledge?

So, for those that HAVE SEEN CA:TWS.....

Do you guys think this film should/could bring up Tony knowing about on how Hydra were in fact the ones responsible for the deaths of his parents and his response to that knowledge?

It depends if Hydra are going to be involved in this or Avengers 3, or if RDJ does an IM4. If none of those things are planned it seems pointless for them to waste time on Tony finding out.

It depends if Hydra are going to be involved in this or Avengers 3, or if RDJ does an IM4. If none of those things are planned it seems pointless for them to waste time on Tony finding out.

True, though given that the post-credits scene for TWS suggested that Captain America and his "colorful friends" might be busy taking down Hydra bases in the time between TWS and AOU, it may be safe to assume that Tony will be in on it as well.

If he did learn of that secret, then he could take a personal interest in taking down Hydra, from his mind, once and for all.

Plus, with SHIELD currently in shambles and with his father having been one of its co-founders, they could even make way for Tony to become the new head figure of a revised SHIELD, under his supervision.

I think Tony finding out is a given. Especially since Natasha spilled all of SHIELD/Hydra's secrets and since Steve has always been about truth and justice. If Tony doesn't figure it out himself by rummaging through what was let out of the bag, then Steve would feel an obligation to tell him what happened to his father.

I say go ahead. Even if HYDRA isn't much of a presence to Tony until IM4, give him a reason to hate them asides from them just being the bad guys. Plant the seed for future character arcs.

True, though given that the post-credits scene for TWS suggested that Captain America and his "colorful friends" might be busy taking down Hydra bases in the time between TWS and AOU, it may be safe to assume that Tony will be in on it as well.

If he did learn of that secret, then he could take a personal interest in taking down Hydra, from his mind, once and for all.

Plus, with SHIELD currently in shambles and with his father having been one of its co-founders, they could even make way for Tony to become the new head figure of a revised SHIELD, under his supervision.

I'd love to see them explore all of the aspects The SHIELD collapse and revelations about his parents deaths entail, but I think they definitely need an Iron Man 4 to do it justice.

I'm not saying they should never recast Tony Stark. If anyone thinks that I've been saying that, they haven't been paying any attention whatsoever. I'm saying they should kill him off in the MCU when RDJ is done playing him, and recast him later so we don't have to see some new guy pretending to be RDJ and interacting with the current incarnation of the MCU. It was easy enough to get over Banner being recast because Norton was only in TIH and we can pretend its not a part of the official MCU. RDJ on the other hand is the backbone on the MCU and cannot be easily replaced.

He needs to find out, especially if HYDRA are becoming the main player in the MCU. It adds a personal stake to it all

I think Tony finding out is a given. Especially since Natasha spilled all of SHIELD/Hydra's secrets and since Steve has always been about truth and justice. If Tony doesn't figure it out himself by rummaging through what was let out of the bag, then Steve would feel an obligation to tell him what happened to his father.

I say go ahead. Even if HYDRA isn't much of a presence to Tony until IM4, give him a reason to hate them asides from them just being the bad guys. Plant the seed for future character arcs.

Seems like as good a reason as any to have Tony suit up again in AOU after his semi-retirement in Iron Man 3.

Who gives a **** if he's had 6 movies, 10 years of exposure! Should they retire Batman just becuase he's been on film since the 40s, with atleast one movie each decade since? Same with Spider-Man, he's going to have almost 20 years of being in motion pictures from Raimi until Webb.

Another thing this has been the most popular Iron Man has ever been. From 1963-2008, Iron Man was in zero live action movies and tv shows, one decent animated series that only lasted one season, the one before it was abysmal, never took part in any major comic book cross over event (he was there for Secret Wars, but Rhodey was in the suit and made Iron Man look like a dumbass in the eyes of a lot of hereos there), never had his own video game, and pretty much took a back seat to most characters. He's now finally getting some spot light after all these years, has movies being made that the general audience is loving and finally has merchandise that people are buying, and they should just kill him off at the height of his popularity? Nonsense. :whatever:

You gotta be true to the character first. His journey as Iron Man can only go for so long. You cant just milk Tony Stark forever because the movies make money. It should be a natural progression from start to finish. I think having him hang up the suit (or die wearing it) is more realistic and honorable for his legacy in the MCU. I think its important to have the other characters see him as a legendary hero, us too. It should be about maintaining that great character's integrity and history, not about just cash. Iron Man deserves better.

Last edited:
The original plan for THE AVENGERS up to about a year prior to shooting was to kill off Iron Man. Then they decided to kill off The Hulk instead. Then they decided just to kill off Coulson. Then they decided to back out of even doing that. :)

Seems like as good a reason as any to have Tony suit up again in AOU after his semi-retirement in Iron Man 3.

Stark never retired. He just finally realised HE was Iron Man, with or without the suit. That was his whole character arc in IM3.

You gotta be true to the character first. His journey as Iron Man can only go for so long. You cant just milk Tony Stark forever because the movies make money. It should be a natural progression from start to finish. I think having him hang up the suit (or die wearing it) is more realistic and honorable for his legacy in the MCU. I think its important to have the other characters see him as a legendary hero, us too. It should be about maintaining that great character's integrity and history, not about just cash. Iron Man deserves better.

Iron Man's journey as a character has gone on for 50 years, staying true to the character would be Tony Stark continuing on as Iron Man for as long as they keep making these movies.

This isn't Rorschach from Watchmen where there's a beginning and ultimately an end to the character.

Thank goodness Feige is running things and has confirmed that Tony Stark story will continue with different actors and not people with your mindset.

If Coulson who got a spear through his heart and Bucky (I haven't seen TWS, I assume he dies and comes back somehow) come back from the dead then there is no way in hell Marvel/Disney will kill off Tony Stark.

I don't even know why it's even up for debate or why I'm still talking about it. I'm done.

Iron Man's journey as a character has gone on for 50 years, staying true to the character would be Tony Stark continuing on as Iron Man for as long as they keep making these movies.

This isn't Rorschach from Watchmen where there's a beginning and ultimately an end to the character.

Thank goodness Feige is running things and has confirmed that Tony Stark story will continue with different actors and not people with your mindset.

If Coulson who got a spear through his heart and Bucky (I haven't seen TWS, I assume he dies and comes back somehow) come back from the dead then there is no way in hell Marvel/Disney will kill off Tony Stark.

I don't even know why it's even up for debate or why I'm still talking about it. I'm done.

slow-clap-citizen-kane.gif

(First, Love the Citizen Kane gif)

Whatever, my mindset is about quality not quantity. If they can make 20 great Iron Man movies, cool but thats not realistic. Thats really what the debate is about, not if Im as big of a fan of Shellhead as you. You seem to want IM movies no matter what, any actor, any storyline.

I love this character as much as anyone but I dont want a ton of sequels/reboots if they arent gonna be worth my time/$$. I think RDJ would agree with me. If he doesnt sign up for Iron Man 4, 5, 6 its for a reason. Thats the plain honest truth. Disagree if you please.

Last edited:
(First, Love the Citizen Kane gif)

Whatever, my mindset is about quality not quantity. If they can make 20 great Iron Man movies, cool but thats not realistic. Thats really what the debate is about, not if Im as big of a fan of Shellhead as you. You seem to want IM movies no matter what, any actor, any storyline.

I love this character as much as anyone but I dont want a ton of sequels/reboots if they arent gonna be worth my time/$$. I think RDJ would agree with me. If he doesnt sign up for Iron Man 4, 5, 6 its for a reason. Thats the plain honest truth. Disagree if you please.

Because he gets old and wants to do other projects while he's living?

People move on. It happens. Doesn't mean it'll be ****** movies or scripts. You could bring the greatest script to RDJ, and if he's ready to move on, he'll move on.

As long as the movies stay quality, then there's zero reason to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"