The Jean Grey Thread

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
Who will be the MCU Jean?

If they're going young, Sadie Sink
Sadie-Sink_Happy-Diamonds-21-768x1024-hero.jpeg

I mean she’s absolutely stunning, so I wouldn’t be opposed.

Saoirse Ronan has been my pick for years. But if they want to go even younger with the age of the main X-Men, then Sophie Lillis would be great.

Last edited:
Why do I feel like the X-Men are going to be Miss Marvel's age?

No Dark Phoenix this time! Let Jean be a core character from the off and hang around for 20 years. :cwink: Also give her leadership of X-Men Red after we’ve had X-Men Blue and Gold for a few years and have enough mutants to fill all the teams.

Saoirse Ronan has been my pick for years. But if they want to go even younger with the age of the main X-Men, then Sophie Lillis would be great.
Saoirse would (still) be a great pick IMO.

No Dark Phoenix this time! Let Jean be a core character from the off and hang around for 20 years. :cwink: Also give her leadership of X-Men Red after we’ve had X-Men Blue and Gold for a few years and have enough mutants to fill all the teams.
Watch Disney make Dark Phoenix the next big bad for The Avengers and X-Men in Phase X. :o

For me with Jean you have to nail her whole ideology. Her compassion, her liberalism (both in a good way and a bad way), her temper and passion. Lots of opportunities for a young actress to explore.

I also want to bring a special shout out to Famke who was an absolutely terrific Jean

If it's a late 20 something Jean Grey, than Zoey Deutch, 27 would be my pick
807750.jpg

If they're going the much younger, Spiderman Homecoming style casting than Sophia Lillis, 20
KEnx4_XC_400x400.jpg

For me with Jean you have to nail her whole ideology. Her compassion, her liberalism (both in a good way and a bad way), her temper and passion. Lots of opportunities for a young actress to explore.

I also want to bring a special shout out to Famke who was an absolutely terrific Jean
Yes. Certainly a lot there to unpack for a young talent out there. I hope she is a strong foundational character of the X-Men and there for the long haul.

They may bring back Turner… I’m not against it if she can get her accent under control

If younger then maybe Marcelle LeBlanc (19)

D0pPU11M.jpeg

She would've been good for a more comic accurate Mary Jane too.

She is forever always an iconic Jean.

I hope the new Jean would be as elegant and graceful as Queen Famke.

My picks:

Helena Howard (24) ' The Wilds"

20221124_163118.jpg

Kyleigh Curran (17) 'Doctor Sleep'

-fx4ebi.jpg

I would love if they make her Marvel Girl before anything.

On Earth-10005 (original timeline), she had been approached by Xavier and Lehnsherr in 1979, when she was 13 years old. Xavier suffocated her real power, and thus she developed an alternate personality (Phoenix) over time to cope with that.
The X-Men were reformed in the nineties, but she never used any codename. By the end of the nineties, she was a scientist/doctor and looked detached from Xavier's activities, so maybe she had chosen to not be a full time X-Man anymore.
However, in X1 (set in 1999), the team was reassembled for the Liberty Island mission, and they all looked a bit rusty and untrained, so you cannot only blame Jean for that. For a while, Toad managed to have the upper hand against Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm - so I guess that the team had disbanded some years before the events of X1, and their combat skills had deteriorated.

I would like to see her as Marvel Girl, not powerful but properly trained, and bearing a green-yellow costume.

I would love if they make her Marvel Girl before anything.

On Earth-10005 (original timeline), she had been approached by Xavier and Lehnsherr in 1979, when she was 13 years old. Xavier suffocated her real power, and thus she developed an alternate personality (Phoenix) over time to cope with that.
The X-Men were reformed in the nineties, but she never used any codename. By the end of the nineties, she was a scientist/doctor and looked detached from Xavier's activities, so maybe she had chosen to not be a full time X-Man anymore.
However, in X1 (set in 1999), the team was reassembled for the Liberty Island mission, and they all looked a bit rusty and untrained, so you cannot only blame Jean for that. For a while, Toad managed to have the upper hand against Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm - so I guess that the team had disbanded some years before the events of X1, and their combat skills had deteriorated.

I would like to see her as Marvel Girl, not powerful but properly trained, and bearing a green-yellow costume.
That's something I've always found odd about the first film. The X-Men are written (in the script) to be inexperienced, but the visual language, level of advancement in their technology, as well as the age of the characters, says otherwise. It always felt like a holdover from an earlier draft where Wolverine *wasn't the focus.

But yes, I love the idea of bringing Jean back to her roots (-- the Marvel Girl alias, a version of the classic costume etc -- so much icongraphy Fox left on the cutting room floor--), and I'd love to see her see her grow into that power, over the films.

Jean is one of the most powerful mutants on the planet, and in order for audiences to truly appreciate that, we need to see her earn* that power.

Also, I forgot to mention Amybeth McNulty (21) 'Annie With An E' - as one of my choices
amybeth-mcnulty-fot-the-times-july-2021-0.jpg

Simply an amazing young actress, who could bring a sense of emotional sincerity, and humanity to the role; two things I felt were missing from Sophie Turner's portrayel of the character, and to a lesser extent, Famke Janssen.

That's something I've always found odd about the first film. The X-Men are written (in the script) to be inexperienced, but the visual language, level of advancement in their technology, as well as the age of the characters, says otherwise. It always felt like a holdover from an earlier draft where Wolverine *wasn't the focus.

Simply an amazing young actress, who could bring a sense of emotional sincerity, and humanity to the role; two things I felt were missing from Sophie Turner's portrayel of the character, and to a lesser extent, Famke Janssen.

1- No, not inexperienced at all. They had been X-Men for years, since the early nineties. But it's obvious and clear that the team stopped its activity at some point, and nobody of them trained anymore. Beast and Havok left. Probably, they put the team on hiatus some years before the events of X1, I would say 1996 or so.
In X1, they also used rudimentary and unwieldy X-Uniforms, different from the refined type of X2.

2- Famke and Sophie were wonderful. Emotional sincerity and humanity... they were on the right place with Famke and Sophie.

Once Jean Grey is introduced I hope they find a way to make Scarlet Witch and Jean not too similar. The Scarlet Witch was pretty much a different version of Jean power wise in Phase 2/3. Not too mention the ginger hair as well.

Once Jean Grey is introduced I hope they find a way to make Scarlet Witch and Jean not too similar. The Scarlet Witch was pretty much a different version of Jean power wise in Phase 2/3. Not too mention the ginger hair as well.

I always assumed that Jean's hair were red because her mutation. She should not have freckles on her body and face.

1- No, not inexperienced at all. They had been X-Men for years, since the early nineties. But it's obvious and clear that the team stopped its activity at some point, and nobody of them trained anymore. Beast and Havok left. Probably, they put the team on hiatus some years before the events of X1, I would say 1996 or so.
In X1, they also used rudimentary and unwieldy X-Uniforms, different from the refined type of X2.

2- Famke and Sophie were wonderful. Emotional sincerity and humanity... they were on the right place with Famke and Sophie.
I mean in terms of the script, how the characters are written. Even Jean talks about her telepathy being underdeveloped, with the Professor helping her learn it. This was obviously before First Class was even a thought in the minds of the writers.

I think Deadpool 3 is going to try to make sense of the FoX-Men timeline(s), by using the TVA.

I disagree about the actresses. Sophie Turner IMO felt very stilted, almost robotic in her performance, especially in Apocalypse. And the same is true of Famke, to a lesser extent. There's always been this aura of distance between us, and Jean as a character in these movies... But that's a natural byproduct of Jean (and the other X-Men) always being positioned as a supporting character, and not one of our leads.

I honestly think this is another reason Marvel Studios is likely to cast a WOC as Jean this time around. Not only to differentiate from past films, and weave diversity into the *core of the X-Men, but to seperate her from Wanda as well.

I mean they've already taken so much inspiration from Jean, they have no choice but to go in a slightly different direction, which can be exciting because it opens the door for some new ideas, and a lil bit of reinvention for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"