Days of Future Past The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Yeah, there are inconsistencies all over these films. Nothing was really planned 100% with the prequels or an effort to make it exactly in continuity. Loose prequel I guess or preboot is what to take it as.

That line goes with how it should be between the two though. Prof X wants him to see his views on a world with Humans and Mutants. That always needs to be there. He always has some hope that he will listen. As a first introduction on film to those characters I thought they nailed it.

He should have tried something. He obviously believes in that. Hes not giving up on the others.

I thought saying "you should go with him" Was a pretty lame line set up just to get Raven on the other side . Like I said I think Mcavoy sells it but in the grand scheme of Prof X its out of character imo. Raven I just didnt dig in this movie, I get her point but its too far from Mystique and they try to rush that last connection to X1 at the end. I think it would have been better if if they held off till the next flick for her to switch sides. Well see, hopefully they make her more of a lethal chick.

I don't think Xavier is the sort of person to try hard to persuade people to change their minds in that way. Except if they are a danger (like Jean Grey, as revealed in X3). He didn't do anything to stop Rogue going for the cure. There are many times he could forcibly do things to influence people but he doesn't. He's an idealist and a pacifist.

The films present Xavier and Magneto having strong ideologies but not directly making people join their cause. They simply hope, like political leaders also do, that their stance will strike a chord in people and get followers that way.

If Mystique had stayed with Xavier and helped nurse him, it would then seem equally controversial/cruel for her to then desert him for Magneto in the next film. The script would have to include an awful mega-moment for that to happen, like she finds out Xavier is tampering with her mind or something really terrible. But it's hard to see that. Staying to care for Charles would make deserting him for Magneto even less likely an option than it may seem to some people at the end of First Class.

I don't think Xavier is the sort of person to try hard to persuade people to change their minds in that way. Except if they are a danger (like Jean Grey, as revealed in X3). He didn't do anything to stop Rogue going for the cure. There are many times he could forcibly do things to influence people but he doesn't. He's an idealist and a pacifist.

I considered Raven going with Magneto to be a very dangerous decision for her. Thats my problem with it. Shes not a dangerous person at all in this film. Shes pretty helpless for the most part. Add to the fact that Charles knew her for so long and it just kind of came off as him just not caring and closing a plot line for the sake of connecting X1. Rogue going for the cure I consider a bit different circumstances. I have my problems with that film as well. But she wasnt joining a team half consisted of murderers led by a guy who wanted to take out man kind or anything.
If Mystique had stayed with Xavier and helped nurse him, it would then seem equally controversial/cruel for her to then desert him for Magneto in the next film. The script would have to include an awful mega-moment for that to happen, like she finds out Xavier is tampering with her mind or something really terrible. But it's hard to see that. Staying to care for Charles would make deserting him for Magneto even less likely an option than it may seem to some people at the end of First Class.

I dont think it needed to be a mega moment though. I thought it actually interrupted the main climax moment, fell flat and rushed to a conclusion for her. If they dwelled into her becoming a darker character it would have been more fluid and made more sense to me. I never got the sense that war and violence was this Mystiques deciding factor over good. Or that Prof X would be so cool with someone joining clearly bad people where they could actually get killed or be responsible for starting a war. Its just a tough scene for me to buy into.

Last edited:
I considered Raven going with Magneto to be a very dangerous decision for her. Thats my problem with it. Shes not a dangerous person at all in this film. Shes pretty helpless for the most part. Add to the fact that Charles knew her for so long and it just kind of came off as him just not caring and closing a plot line for the sake of connecting X1. Rogue going for the cure I consider a bit different circumstances. I have my problems with that film as well. But she wasnt joining a team half consisted of murderers led by a guy who wanted to take out man kind or anything.

I dont think it needed to be a mega moment though. I thought it actually interrupted the main climax moment, fell flat and rushed to a conclusion for her. If they dwelled into her becoming a darker character it would have been more fluid and made more sense to me. I never got the sense that war and violence was this Mystiques deciding factor over good. Or that Prof X would be so cool with someone joining clearly bad people where they could actually get killed or be responsible for starting a war. Its just a really tough scene for me to buy into.

Xavier never preaches or coerces though. He is man who allows choice. If not, he could have undone most of the events we have ever seen him linked to, by using mind control. The only serious, controlling thing we saw him do was meddle with Jean Grey's mind.

We all make our own choices. Xavier and Magneto simply represent the two poles.

War and violence isn't the deciding factor. Being free to be who you are (who she is) is the deciding factor. Erik isn't promising death and terrorism, he actually says they will form their own society where they can be what they are. That's the appeal to her.

I dont know man, Ive seen Prof X get kinda preachy and help alot of people. Gotta agree to disagree on this one. All those mutants are composed of the Hellfire club and there was quite a bit of war and violence goen on in that last scene. Mystique saw what happened, she knew those mutants killed Darwin and attacked them. And Magneto was clearly out for blood and Charles was the only one who stopped him.

I agree with the themes and what they are doing with Mystique, that was clearly the intention. Not arguing that. Its just the actions of the characters and what happens in the Cuban missle crisis climax didnt execute her transition scene to me. She still went to the side that killed her team mate, shot her best friend, almost nuked a fleet etc "This is probably gonna be a violent team and get me into some deep ****"would have had to gone through her head when choosing sides. As would her well being with Charles.

Last edited:
I dont know man, Ive seen Prof X get kinda preachy and help alot of people. Gotta agree to disagree on this one. All those mutants are composed of the Hellfire club and there was quite a bit of war and violence goen on in that last scene. Mystique saw what happened, she knew those mutants killed Darwin and attacked them. And Magneto was clearly out for blood and Charles was the only one who stopped him.

I agree with the themes and what they are doing with Mystique, that was clearly the intention. Not arguing that. Its just the actions of the characters and what happens in the Cuban missle crisis climax didnt execute her transition scene to me. She still went to the side that killed her team mate, shot her best friend, almost nuked a fleet etc "This is probably gonna be a violent team and get me into some deep ****"would have had to gone through her head when choosing sides. As would her well being with Charles.

No that's a gross misrepresentation of events. It was Shaw who killed Darwin, it was Moira whose bullet went into Charles (when deflected by Magneto), it was the humans who tried to nuke the mutants first before Magneto turned the tables.

You're distorting the evidence to back up your view.

I've never heard anyone beyond these forums question Mystique's decision.

No that's a gross misrepresentation of events. It was Shaw who killed Darwin, it was Moira whose bullet went into Charles (when deflected by Magneto), it was the humans who tried to nuke the mutants first before Magneto turned the tables.

Ive always had a problem with it, it something that just never sat right for me. It doesnt effect the rest of the movie to me at all or anything. I love this film!

Im not trying to distort anything. Magneto is pretty responsible for shooting his friend, Prof X says straight out she didnt do this you did because of his prior actions. Your right I should have said Shaw.That group is not far off and they obviously obeyed him,contributed and murdered quite a bit of others. Are you saying that Magnetos warped views and wanting to destory the fleets are ok with Raven bcause the humans struck first? Surely it shows evidence that they may not be accepted, but killing all those people is not something that was built into her. It should have been at leased teased, because we all know that is in her quite a bit later. Charles says everything that is needed to know with who is right and wrong in that scene. SHe joined a group of people who do/are willing to murder, thats something I find extremely heavy and just never associated with Raven in this film. They should have lead into her having some of the same violent tendencies earlier.

At no point in the film did I ever think this version of her would be involved with people like that besides being seduced by Magneto. It was all leading to accepting herself but anything violence related seems to disturb her. Just because she wants to be free and make a choice , doesnt mean everything fit perfectly with the character. I guess since she is very naive in this film, joining a group like that makes her even more so, so I guess it kinda works like that. But mostly just cause we all know who she becomes, without that knowledge of her future self that decision seems off. I still think tht Prof X could have done something to help her for her own good. Theres no way he would think good will come out of this with her. .

When it comes down to it I just really dont like the version of the characters final transition. Im not trying to change anyones view on the scene. Its how I view it. If you see it differently thats fine. I liked the stuff with Beast and they have some interesting ideas and themes with her like this series always does. But I was disappointed on this take of the final scene. I think there could have been something stronger done between the two given their relationship and character attributes in the film. Im glad they were able to develop a story for her through out, I just wished we either saw some of her more sinister motives going through the back of her head or Charles be a lil more hesitant in that moment. Even if they just ditsched the you should go with him line, i would have likd it better. If there was a scene where the governemnt harassed Raven a bit more or something and that hatred came a bit more evident it would have made that last transition make a bit more sense for me as well. I needed something more there to complete that decision for Charles or her. If others dug the scene, and thought it was perfectly done then all good.

Last edited:

Just gotta disagree with your last point there-- tumblr is full of XMFC love, but the Mystique leaving Charles behind bit is quite widely detested as being a poor rushed film job.

I have mixed feelings about it. I used to hate it and deem it a sloppy way to make FC hook up with X1 if they didn't make enough money for a sequel. I still kind of do. But enough reflection on the character made me realize that her leaving Charles kind of made sense. I get the impression that she has never been far out of his sight, a decision that seems to be much more Charles' than hers. Magneto is offering her a chance to make her own choices and live independently as she wishes, and as far as she knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

There is no way that she (or Erik for that matter) knew that Charles was paralyzed. Her guilt would have made her stay with him, just for a little while. Someone in this thread said they couldn't see her tending to him, but I could. She doesn't hate him, at all. She resents her restrictions, but she still loves Charles dearly. Assuming it was a fleshwound made it much easier for her to leave him.

I also think Charles finally understood why she needed what Erik was offering and really did WANT her to go because he wanted her to be happy. He's also not the type of person who would ask her to stay; it's too selfish of him.

It will be interesting to see what happens between now and X1 that causes her to hate him so much. Pretending like "this" was the thing is lazy storytelling.

Just gotta disagree with your last point there-- tumblr is full of XMFC love, but the Mystique leaving Charles behind bit is quite widely detested as being a poor rushed film job.

I have mixed feelings about it. I used to hate it and deem it a sloppy way to make FC hook up with X1 if they didn't make enough money for a sequel. I still kind of do. But enough reflection on the character made me realize that her leaving Charles kind of made sense. I get the impression that she has never been far out of his sight, a decision that seems to be much more Charles' than hers. Magneto is offering her a chance to make her own choices and live independently as she wishes, and as far as she knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

There is no way that she (or Erik for that matter) knew that Charles was paralyzed. Her guilt would have made her stay with him, just for a little while. Someone in this thread said they couldn't see her tending to him, but I could. She doesn't hate him, at all. She resents her restrictions, but she still loves Charles dearly. Assuming it was a fleshwound made it much easier for her to leave him.

I also think Charles finally understood why she needed what Erik was offering and really did WANT her to go because he wanted her to be happy. He's also not the type of person who would ask her to stay; it's too selfish of him.

It will be interesting to see what happens between now and X1 that causes her to hate him so much. Pretending like "this" was the thing is lazy storytelling.

I don't attach any significance to tumblr to be honest. I meant offline altogether, more like the people in the real world, outside the geek bubble.

I agree it's a point for discussion, and there certainly was a lot of consequence packed into that final scene - Xavier and Magneto split, Xavier was paralysed, Mystique joined the Brotherhood. (The only thing I really didn't like was the way Magneto swatted away the bullet that hit Charles, the visual didn't sit right with me, but that's another quibble altogether).

The whole film was building the idea of Mystique's frustration and needing to be with her own kind. The scene in the bar with Xavier and the mutant-eyed girl, the conversations with Hank and then with Erik, her insecurity being so strong that she leapt into Erik's bed when he said the right thing.

The beach scene was a 'now or never' moment, her chance to be free and to truly be herself. I don't think she hates him though, but there is a way to go before she becomes the Mystique of X1.

Singer, Vaughn and the others chose for Mystique to be this way in First Class, so they have a responsibility to show how she got to be the way we saw in X1-X3. They can't just cop out now. They shouldn't have chosen to portray young Mystique in this way if they couldn't follow it through.

Millar On Matthew Vaughn's X-Men Exit - Fox's Marvel guru explains it all...
Ali Plumb said:
Just a few weeks ago, X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn was set to direct its sequel, X-Men: Days Of Future Past. Then, somewhat surprisingly, he dropped out, to be replaced by X-Men and X-2 director Bryan Singer.

When we spoke to Mark Millar, Fox's newly-appointed Chief Creative Consultant for their Marvel properties, for the Empire Podcast, the news of Vaughn's departure had not yet landed. Intrigued – to say the least – by the unexpected news, we picked up the blower and spoke to Mr. Millar once again about what had happened.

In the latest issue of Empire – out tomorrow, Thursday November 28 – you can read that very interview, but just as a teaser, here are a couple of choice titbits from it for you online folk.
Empire: Matthew Vaughn recently left X-Men: Days Of Future Past, to be replaced by Bryan Singer. What happened there?

"We had two high-end projects at the same time. We had the most ambitious X-Men yet, but at the same time we had The Secret Service (an adaptation of Millar's comic book, which Vaughn will direct), which we came up with ourselves, and some copycat projects were starting to get off the ground. If we didn't do it now, it would probably never get done. Matthew had a really difficult choice, and he had a lot of great ideas for X-Men, but Bryan's back in the fold, and he's brilliant."

Empire: Were you worried about a potential conflict of interest?

"In my Fox job, I wanted X-Men to go ahead, and in my Millarworld capacity, I hoped Matthew would do Secret Service. A win-win situation."

These details come as a storm of rumour, counter-rumour, double-speak and general internet message board waffle storms about the web saying that Matthew Vaughn is going to direct Star Wars Episode VII, so, um, that's something to bear in mind in the furthest corner of your brain.

Mark Millar seems to never really know what he is talking about. That or no one wants to tell him what is happening, then he just makes stuff up.

tumblr_me8rjdBCXi1qcs276o1_500.png

Interesting...Id say we are def getting an end credit scene.

its a strong possibility. Kind of exciting, even if I dont care about his solo movie :D

I think it needs allot more hype with the general public. XMFC was worth more than the profits it grossed. It was a brilliant movie, but wasn't well advertised.

the more hype the better. It isn't like it would hurt the film if it gets overhyped during the time leading up to its premiere it just mean bigger box office numbers

Judging from the atmosphere on these boards, I don't think it needs any more hype! :p

We have a lot of hype here its because this is a forum for X-Men movies and other comic-book movies. But with the general public, not yet.

That article was like 30% interview and 70% writer's ramblings, lol.

That article was like 30% interview and 70% writer's ramblings, lol.

And 80% of the 30 was Millar's usual prattle.

The Wolverine will likely be better than Origins. But it wont have a bigger box office.

It'll do no more than $30-45mill it's first weekend then drop off 70% when 300 pt 2 and Red pt 2 releases the following weekend. Domestic total will be $150mill if FOX is lucky.

Not sure if The Wolverine would only get $30 to $45 million during its first weekend. Hugh Jackman just won Golden Globes and what if he wins Oscars too. I think The Wolverine is his only major movie that will be released this year, so a lot of people would want to see this Wolverine movie. Plus 3D prices would definitely boost its numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"