The Offical Saturday Night Live Thread - Part 3

Maybe not, but if we’re being honest, I also don’t really know what Lorne Michaels… does anymore? Like, he’s surely not still in the writers room every day, is he?

If he’s basically just a figurehead for the show, I could see Tina going for that, but in terms of really running the show when she has her own **** to do, maybe not.
My impression is that he's still involved as a matter of oversight and the executive liaison to Kabletown. He still has involvement with casting and larger show decisions.

I had a feeling they'd get Ayo to host this season, it was only a matter of time after the killer year she's had. She's gonna be great. Here's hoping she brings Rachel Sennott with her for her second time hosting.

I remember when the cast members of this show were the highlight, and the host was barely a factor
Nowadays each episode is reliant on the comedy chops of the host alone, it seems

I remember when the cast members of this show were the highlight, and the host was barely a factor
Nowadays each episode is reliant on the comedy chops of the host alone, it seems
They've been in kind of a rebuilding phase since Kate McKinnon and Cecily Strong left but I think as far as the cast goes, Bowen Yang and Sarah Sherman are on the rise. Ego Nwodim too since she's one of the few who has a recurring character with Lisa from Temecula. Chloe Troast is also one to watch since she's had one of the best freshman seasons for an SNL cast member in years.

Bowen Yang stares at the camera and constantly flubs lines, he's better in a non-live comedy setting
Ego's pretty funny but I haven't seen much of Chloe yet so idk on her

And I'm talkin back in the Will Farrell through Amy Poehler days, I dont even know who the host was in a ton of those classic old sketches (outside of Walken in the Cowbell sketch of course lol)

They've been in kind of a rebuilding phase since Kate McKinnon and Cecily Strong left but I think as far as the cast goes, Bowen Yang and Sarah Sherman are on the rise. Ego Nwodim too since she's one of the few who has a recurring character with Lisa from Temecula. Chloe Troast is also one to watch since she's had one of the best freshman seasons for an SNL cast member in years.

Plus it didn't hurt that the first person I thought of when Ketanji Brown Jackson was chosen for the Supreme Court was Ego.

As for Ayo Edebiri? She has a comedic background, so this will help. She apparently interned at the Upright Citizens Brigade in college. I would expect her SNL Monologue will be a mini standup routine, since she's dabbled in that. The best SNL hosts are usually comedians, because they could use the monologue as a short stand up routine. Nate Barzgate was a great host.

Last edited:

It's election season and I think we might see Punkie Johnson as Kamala Harris if Maya Rudolph doesn't want to play the character anymore.

Ego has had more to do on SNL than Sasheer Zamata ever did (I thought Sasheer was a panic hire anyways, coming off the backlash of not having a black woman on the cast, and not being able to fly Maya Rudolph in and Keenan Thompson not playing females anymore).

Ego has had more to do on SNL than Sasheer Zamata ever did (I thought Sasheer was a panic hire anyways, coming off the backlash of not having a black woman on the cast, and not being able to fly Maya Rudolph in and Keenan Thompson not playing females anymore).
Since Sasheer left on her own accord I guess she just wasn't as comfortable in that environment as Ego has shown to be. Both Sasheer and Leslie Jones were panic hires. Leslie's strong suits were always her Weekend Update bits and those pre-taped sketches where she was hooking up with Kyle Mooney rather than the live sketches.

Since Sasheer left on her own accord I guess she just wasn't as comfortable in that environment as Ego has shown to be. Both Sasheer and Leslie Jones were panic hires. Leslie's strong suits were always her Weekend Update bits and those pre-taped sketches where she was hooking up with Kyle Mooney rather than the live sketches.

I still think that there's a role for Punkie Johnson on the show as while she hasn't done much on the show, her role could dramatically increase on SNL as Kamala Harris if Maya Rudolph doesn't want to do it anymore. I pick Punkie over Ego for Kamala Harris, because Kamala Harris is light skinned and so is Punkie. Or.....Punkie could play Meet the Press Host Kristen Welker moderating a debate between Kamala Harris (if Maya returns to the role) and whoever the Republican VP candidate is (if its Vivek, that could be an issue for SNL).

I still think that there's a role for Punkie Johnson on the show as while she hasn't done much on the show, her role could dramatically increase on SNL as Kamala Harris if Maya Rudolph doesn't want to do it anymore. I pick Punkie over Ego for Kamala Harris, because Kamala Harris is light skinned and so is Punkie. Or.....Punkie could play Meet the Press Host Kristen Welker moderating a debate between Kamala Harris (if Maya returns to the role) and whoever the Republican VP candidate is (if its Vivek, that could be an issue for SNL).
TBH unless something particularly newsworthy happens I think they're only going to use Kamala for the VP debate next season and maybe an episode or two besides that and they'll probably bring Maya back. Kamala was utilized a lot leading up to the 2020 Election because she was one of the candidates before dropping out and later becoming Biden's pick for VP but Maya hasn't played her on the show since she hosted almost three years ago, not even when she made a guest appearance last month when Kate McKinnon hosted.

Yeah those were the best parts of last night's show.

My disdain for Jimmy Fallon aside, I never really cared much for the Barry Gibb Show sketches so I would have gladly traded him for Samberg. I knew it was gonna happen because Fallon works right there but I'd have much rather seen the "Dick in a Box" guys come back.

Yeah those were the best parts of last night's show.

My disdain for Jimmy Fallon aside, I never really cared much for the Barry Gibb Show sketches so I would have gladly traded him for Samberg. I knew it was gonna happen because Fallon works right there but I'd have much rather seen the "Dick in a Box" guys come back.

Did Fallon overlaugh as he usually does?

Did Fallon overlaugh as he usually does?
Shockingly no, which is surprising because practically everyone else in the sketch was breaking.

EDIT: It's also really strange that they acknowledged Barry Gibb being knighted since the last time they did this sketch, and yet Robin Gibb has been dead for almost 12 years.

Last edited:
Every time the camera cuts to Andrew Dismukes but with a tilted head:

B8RihPL.png

Love Dakota Johnson. Not only is she hnnnnngh, but also super funny.

I thought she was better in the pre-taped sketches. Something seemed off about the live ones but that also could have been the writing. That first one in the restaurant was terrible.

Bowen Yang stares at the camera and constantly flubs lines, he's better in a non-live comedy setting
Ego's pretty funny but I haven't seen much of Chloe yet so idk on her

And I'm talkin back in the Will Farrell through Amy Poehler days, I dont even know who the host was in a ton of those classic old sketches (outside of Walken in the Cowbell sketch of course lol)
i think my favorite time to watch the show was when it was these guys:

Cheri Oteri
Ferrell
Molly Shannon
Gasteyer
Chris Kattan
Rachel Dratch
Tim Meadows
Horatio Sanz
Hammond

those are the ones i recall the most. host didnt even matter back then lol didn't even need one with that crew

i think my favorite time to watch the show was when it was these guys:

Cheri Oteri
Ferrell
Molly Shannon
Gasteyer
Chris Kattan
Rachel Dratch
Tim Meadows
Horatio Sanz
Hammond

those are the ones i recall the most. host didnt even matter back then lol didn't even need one with that crew
While I have a bunch of favorite cast members spanning the entire history of the show, my favorite overall cast as a group was the crew with Hader, Wiig, Samberg, Sudeikis, Forte, Armisen and Kenan in the late '00s-early '10s. They all worked so well with each other. It's funny to include Kenan in there since he's still on the show but "What's Up With That?" was at its peak during that era.

Lorne Michaels has said that people's favorite casts are usually the ones who were on the show when they were in high school/growing up. I'd have to say that's true for me since that crew was on while I was graduating high school and all through college but watching the reruns with Sandler, Farley, Myers, Carvey and Hartman were where I first got into the show when I was about 10 or 11. Ferrell was still on the show then so it was really something watching him live. I might have seen the cowbell sketch live, I can't remember but I definitely remember seeing that amazing post-9/11 sketch where he showed up to the office wearing nothing a crop top and an American flag thong live as it happened.

i saw both of those ferrell sketches live lol

and there's probably some truth to the fave cast members thing as the ones i picked were the ones i was watching in middle school/high school

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"