The Offical Saturday Night Live Thread - Part 3

Ayo's background in improv and comedy showed tonight.

I sense Lorne is in the IDGAF phase of his time on SNL these days.

Ayo was great but I thought the sketches were just decent. The people's court and the instagram one were my favorites of the night.

Ayo was great and I thought it was a big step up from the last two episodes. No disrespect to Jacob Elordi or Dakota Johnson but the difference really shows when you have a host with comedic chops.

As for Shane Gillis hosting the next show, I can't say I'm surprised since his Netflix special got big. At the end of the day, he's still a far less controversial choice to host than Trump, Musk or even Dave Chappelle.

Ayo was great and I thought it was a big step up from the last two episodes. No disrespect to Jacob Elordi or Dakota Johnson but the difference really shows when you have a host with comedic chops.

As for Shane Gillis hosting the next show, I can't say I'm surprised since his Netflix special got big. At the end of the day, he's still a far less controversial choice to host than Trump, Musk or even Dave Chappelle.

I checked out Shane's Netflix special and it was pretty good. He didn't say anything super controversial.

Me a couple weeks ago:

Honestly if anyone from Madame Web is hosting I'm surprised it's Johnson and not Sydney Sweeney since they're trying to appease that younger demographic

Lorne Michaels: Oh no, I'll be getting the whole f***ing cast of Madame Web to host before the season is over.

i figure sweeney is coming off the rom com movie fame moreso than this. but i'm a big kacey musgraves fan

On the topic of Brolin, I'm happy to see him host again but at the same time out of the Dune 2 cast I'd have thought they'd try to get Zendaya or Florence Pugh first. I'm genuinely surprised that neither of them have hosted yet.

Brolin did a good job hosting last night but the best parts were ScarJo as Katie Britt in the beginning and the return of Lisa from Temecula at the end. Between Ego as the stingray in last episode's Weekend Update and her as Lisa pronouncing "gratuity" as "gratatouille" she's definitely one of the all-stars in this cast. She's been having a great couple of shows.

Yeah it was fine overall, this Lisa from Temecula sketch was better than the last one (the first one is obviously still better).

I'm super excited to see Ramy Youssef host, if it's anything like his show, I think he's gonna kill it.

Yeah it was fine overall, this Lisa from Temecula sketch was better than the last one (the first one is obviously still better).

I'm super excited to see Ramy Youssef host, if it's anything like his show, I think he's gonna kill it.
I'm just relieved to see a recurring character outside of Weekend Update that's actually funny. The only other one that comes to mind out of the current cast is that Hinge Date Guy that Bowen plays with the Stewie Griffin shirt. He's okay but Bowen's been way funnier elsewhere, like on Weekend Update and that "Bowen's Straight" pretape with Sydney Sweeney last week.

As for Ramy, the only thing I've seen him in is Poor Things. His show is on my radar for whenever I resubscribe to Hulu, which will be fairly soon since The Bear is coming back.

As for Ramy, the only thing I've seen him in is Poor Things. His show is on my radar for whenever I resubscribe to Hulu, which will be fairly soon since The Bear is coming back.

Yeah you should check it out, it's on the level of Atlanta, Reservation Dogs, and Master of None.

Because there are three or four cast members who could have easily portrayed Katie Britt, ScarJo showing up as her was a complete surprise.

I honestly thought Sarah Sherman was gonna do Katie Britt, it seemed like a no brainer to me.

I honestly thought Sarah Sherman was gonna do Katie Britt, it seemed like a no brainer to me.
I thought that if it wasn't going to be Sherman or Chloe Fineman then they might have had Cecily Strong come back for a cameo.

Because there are three or four cast members who could have easily portrayed Katie Britt, ScarJo showing up as her was a complete surprise.

It's like the time where when we first saw Ketanji Brown Jackson being a Supreme Court Justice, we all thought "Ego is going to play her."

Had something like this happened 5 or so years ago in the heyday of non-SNL alumni celebrity surprise guest stars on SNL it wouldn't have been as much of a surprise (Baldwin's Trump, De Niro as Robert Mueller, Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer, and my personal favorite Matt Damon as Brett Kavanagh to name a few). I'm kind of glad they've shied away from that in more recent years because with a cast that's 15 people deep not counting Che and Jost on WU it's hard enough for the regular cast members to get screentime without the addition of celebrity cameos but in this case I thought it was a great fit.

Had something like this happened 5 or so years ago in the heyday of non-SNL alumni celebrity surprise guest stars on SNL it wouldn't have been as much of a surprise (Baldwin's Trump, De Niro as Robert Mueller, Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer, and my personal favorite Matt Damon as Brett Kavanagh to name a few). I'm kind of glad they've shied away from that in more recent years because with a cast that's 15 people deep not counting Che and Jost on WU it's hard enough for the regular cast members to get screentime without the addition of celebrity cameos but in this case I thought it was a great fit.

This might be why I think SNL goes with Punkie Johnson to play Kamala Harris in a possible VP debate sketch. Maya Rudolph was great at it, but she lives in California now and they might not be able to bring her in all of the time. It could end up being Punkie's chance to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"