The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife beating aspect of Hank Pym messed up Antman/Wasp appearing as they should. Theres no other reason to base the movie around Hank/Janet.

How come that didn't stop Peter Parker and Mary Jane + Reed Richards and Sue Storm from being shown on the silver screen?
That particular story has no bearing on the characters' viability. All that needs to happen is that it doesn't get used, period.

How come that didn't stop Peter Parker and Mary Jane + Reed Richards and Sue Storm from being shown on the silver screen?
That particular story has no bearing on the characters' viability. All that needs to happen is that it doesn't get used, period.

Right?! Bro, I am so tired of people bringing this up as it literally happened once and it was ages ago. The only reason people want Hank and Jan in film superheroing because it was cool to see a husband and wife team superheroing.

Right?! Bro, I am so tired of people bringing this up as it literally happened once and it was ages ago. The only reason people want Hank and Jan in film superheroing because it was cool to see a husband and wife team superheroing.

:highfive:

I'm still holding out hope that Marvel will eventually retcon all the Wright influence that's still in this and that we'll someday see Hank & Janet in their prime, kicking ass, the way they're supposed to be seen.

No offense to Rudd, but Lang is less interesting to me than that weird green alien Doop.

I'm still holding out hope that Marvel will eventually retcon all the Wright influence that's still in this and that we'll someday see Hank & Janet in their prime, kicking ass, the way they're supposed to be seen.

No offense to Rudd, but Lang is less interesting to me than that weird green alien Doop.

I think there'd be higher chances of that being shown in flashbacks than any "retcons" happening, dude. Sorry. This is going to be the MCU's version of the Ant-Man mythos.

Scott and Hope are actually siblings. Don't you see the resemblance? That's gonna be the plot twist, when they reveal Scott was Henry Pym JR all along!

Evangeline-Lilly-Paul-Rudd-Comic-Con-2014-Red-Carpet-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-1.jpg

But yeah, who knows? Maybe they'll eventually do a soft-reboot.

I think in retrospect, Evangeline should've stuck with her normal hair. The bob she's sporting as Hope doesn't look quite as flattering as I thought it would. She looks better in the picture above.

She's a smokeshow. I haven't seen what she looks like in the movie but I know she'll look damn good.

Basically what we've all suspected. Sounds like a blessing that Edgar left.

“I saw with my own eyes that Marvel had just pulled the script into their world,” she says. “I mean, they’ve established a universe, and everyone has come to expect a certain aesthetic [and] a certain feel for Marvel films. And what Edgar was creating was much more in the Edgar Wright camp of films. They were very different. And I feel like, if [Marvel] had created Edgar’s incredible vision — which would have been, like, classic comic book — it would have been such a riot to film [and] it would have been so much fun to watch. [But] it wouldn’t have fit in the Marvel Universe. It would have stuck out like a sore thumb, no matter how good it was. It just would have taken you away from this cohesive universe they’re trying to create. And therefore it ruins the suspended disbelief that they’ve built.”

It's a fine balance. Just hope the film didn't suffer too much with his leaving. Also wish they could have come up with a compromise.

I doubt Marvel will retcon or change anything as they seem committed to this version of the characters but they do have a couple of ways to bring back Hank and Janet in their prime if they wish.

Janet could of been stuck in the microverse believed to be dead. On Agent's Of Shield they introduced a Inhuman who was harvested by WW2 Hydr scientist Dr Whitehall and he used her powers to make him self young again which they could have Pym use if they wanted to. As I said though I doubt it will happen.

Agreed.

If we aren't going to adapt characters because at some point in their long history a writer has written them doing something controversial we would have no superhero movies at all.

Many characters who have been around for decades and were or are somewhat popular have done things in the comics that are some point questionable but it doesn't mean they should never be adapted into film other mediums because of it.

On Agent's Of Shield they introduced a Inhuman who was harvested by WW2 Hydr scientist Dr Whitehall and he used her powers to make him self young again which they could have Pym use if they wanted to.

Pym would need to harvest those organs and put them into himself, which would be a freakin' horrible thing to do.

Pym would need to harvest those organs and put them into himself, which would be a freakin' horrible thing to do.

Hank is a genius bio-chemist so I'm sure he could derive some serum Whitehall's blood and inject himself with it.

Like many people guessed Judy Greer is Scott Lang's ex-wife Peggy Rae in Ant-Man.
"I’m Paul Rudd’s estranged ex-wife. We have a daughter together and our relationship is, well, estranged, but I feel like my character is still rooting for him to succeed. I guess that’s about as much as I can say. They gave us all these papers of things we’re allowed to say and things we’re not allowed to say, and I left them in Atlanta. Sorry! [Laughs]"

"I am having so much fun with Paul Rudd, Bobby Cannavale and Peyton Reed. Those guys are so fun to hang out, and I’m excited about that one. I’m excited to see Paul Rudd as a superhero. Hats off to Marvel," she adds. "Way to go, you’ve nailed it this time. Because he is such a peach and he is so funny and he’s working his ass for this role and I can’t wait to see it."
I'm guessing Bobby Cannavale's character Paxton might be Peggy's new cop boyfriend in the film replacing the comic version Officer Blake Burdick or is a original character.

Buzzfeed has a really long interview with Evangeline Lilly. She talks quite a bit about Ant-Man, including some stuff about why Wright left.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/evangeline-lilly-ant-man-the-hobbit-squickerwonkers

Sounds to me like we may see both Janet and Hank active as superheroes in the 60's, with Hope taking on the Wasp mantle from her mom.

In fact, I'd bet that Janet dies during some Ant-Man/Wasp superheroing in the 60s/70s, leaving Hank disillusioned with the notion of heroes and hanging up his suit.

From that Lilly interview, there's this bit that could possibly confirm suspicions:

“You’re going to have fans up there who insist that you tell the story of Hank Pym, and fans up there who will be more on the Scott Lang side of it. … I think we are going to come close to pleasing them all. And what’s cool is that, you know, Janet Van Dyne is my mom. Hank Pym is my father. I was raised by two superheroes. I’m no schlump. I’m a pretty smart, competent, capable, kick-ass female. She’s very cool.”

From that Lilly interview, there's this bit that could possibly confirm suspicions:

Suspicion? I'm pretty sure Jan was confirmed to be her mom months ago.

I guess it all boils down to perspective. I read the same excerpt and thought, "Aw, it's a shame we're getting something that's more homogenized to fit in with the Marvel mold than something fresh and distinct." I can understand the reasoning behind it, but it feels more like a business decision than a creative one. But I've pretty much made my peace with Wright's exit now. His Ant-Man can join Dream of the Endless' library of great stories that never got to be told to the world. Now I'm focusing on trying to appreciate the new version of the film on its own merits.

So Judy Greer is playing Scott Lang's estranged wife, and Cassie's mother? But what's her name? Have we ever known her name in the comics? I can't be bothered to go and try to search in all these old Iron Man issues to see if her name is revealed.

So Judy Greer is playing Scott Lang's estranged wife, and Cassie's mother? But what's her name? Have we ever known her name in the comics? I can't be bothered to go and try to search in all these old Iron Man issues to see if her name is revealed.

Peggy Rae.

So Wood Harris and Martin Donovan are the only main cast members we don't know who they are playing.

Interestingly British actor Rod Hallett from Crisis, The Tudors and Terra Nova is listed as Ten Rings on IMDB.

So Wood Harris and Martin Donovan are the only main cast members we don't know who they are playing.

Interestingly British actor Rod Hallett from Crisis, The Tudors and Terra Nova is listed as Ten Rings on IMDB.

Who is Bobby Cannavale playing?

Don't trust IMDB for jack. Anyone can edit it.

Suspicion? I'm pretty sure Jan was confirmed to be her mom months ago.

That part is old, but she says she's raised by two superheroes...now she could be talking about the comic but if she's talking about the script, that confirms Janet as the first Wasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"