The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
That and it also felt at odds with the dramatic overtones of the rest of the teaser, making its unpolishness stand out more IMO.

Yep.

*drama... drama... drama...*

*a man riding a cartoon ant*

*drama... drama... drama*

I was (and still am) hoping for a trailer more tonally in line with this one:

Part of it comes down to how you define the world bad. If it's wholly generic and boring with nothing that hooks me on any level, I'll probably call it a pretty bad movie.

Yeah, I guess my bad would be something that doesn't hold my interest within the movie (and in an MCU case doesn't add to what's been established.) to this point I haven't considered any MCU movies bad, Cap 1 was my least favorite but is still overall decent.

What factors would you consider could make this film generic and boring that you've seen or read thus far?

Yeah, I guess my bad would be something that doesn't hold my interest within the movie (and in an MCU case doesn't add to what's been established.) to this point I haven't considered any MCU movies bad, Cap 1 was my least favorite but is still overall decent.

What factors would you consider could make this film generic and boring that you've seen or read thus far?

Well, the director is a big one. The guy seems like your standard studio director, and a fairly banal one even by that standard. All the talk of last minute rewrites, and the fact that the shift in directors happened mere weeks before filming began, also does not fill me with any hope. These things don't usually lead to much room for creativity or passion.

I can't say for certain that nothing in this film will hold my interest, but I haven't seem much evidence of anything in it that will.

As I said - marginal. The GotG comparisons don't reflect superior fidelity so much as they do color tweaks, filters, and grading. I actually prefer the older shots there, but all of this is beside the point, as I'm not arguing that it never happens, what I'm saying is that you can't guarantee that it will always happen.

Point is, people take the length of post-production for granted, as if it's an irrefutable guarantee of superior visuals come release day. Problem is, as you've just demonstrated, this rationale is usually backed up by using examples of unrelated, completed movies (known quantity), to confirm the outcome of an unreleased, unfinished movie (unknown quantity). In other words, the examples you used ain't Ant-Man, thus they can't be used to say that Ant-Man will look excellent when it opens. Different productions, different goals, different needs, different everything. Aside from that, for every example you can provide of a perceived improvement, there are at least as many showing dodgy CGI that was either equivalent to or worse than their trailers (Van Helsing, Mummy Returns, AngHulk, Crystal Skull; pick your poison), or in the case of TASM, completely different in some areas. Anything can change in post-production, for better or worse. If the studio sees fit to release footage advertising their movie to the world, then that says that they're prepared for all of the baggage and commentary that comes with it, good or bad. Bottom line - you can't discredit someone's impression of trailer footage based on an assumption.

For the record, I like what I've seen on the trailer so far, CGI and all.

Well, the director is a big one. The guy seems like your standard studio director, and a fairly banal one even by that standard. All the talk of last minute rewrites, and the fact that the shift in directors happened mere weeks before filming began, also does not fill me with any hope. These things don't usually lead to much room for creativity or passion.

I can't say for certain that nothing in this film will hold my interest, but I haven't seem much evidence of anything in it that will.

Fair enough, I always deem it best to not jump to any conclusions one way or the other when it comes to CBMs. I never want to get myself pumped for a let down or go in so negative that even if there is good I don't allow myself to notice it.

I hope that any of the directorial/behind the scenes late actions won't be a factor in the final product, but who knows? Lol.

You serious? Those GOTG comparisons show a definite improvement in CG detail over the earlier images.

Kinda lacklustre IMO.

Yep.

*drama... drama... drama...*

*a man riding a cartoon ant*

*drama... drama... drama*

Well, I think the CGI ant's f/x is probably unfinished, and to be frank it is hard to make a giant ant seemed believable, and harder still to make it seemed imposing like a T-Rex. However, I think it looks great already, and it will look even better 7 months from now.

Yeah. We're so used to perceiving ants on smaller, vaguer scale, when we see them up close and in any real detail there's always a level of disconnect.

Yeah. We're so used to perceiving ants on smaller, vaguer scale, when we see them up close and in any real detail there's always a level of disconnect.

Adding to the fact that we don't fear ants like we do with other insects like spiders and hornets, so making them bigger don't make them scarier, either. However, I think this movie could change people's perception on ants, once they see how fearsome they can be, especially when a superhero is named after them.

Adding to the fact that we don't fear ants like we do with other insects like spiders and hornets, so making them bigger don't make them scarier, either. However, I think this movie could change people's perception on ants, once they see how fearsome they can be, especially when a superhero is named after them.

[YT]1Ka3hNgR4Qo[/YT]

Ants can be pretty frightening.

[YT]1Ka3hNgR4Qo[/YT]

Ants can be pretty frightening.

But the ant that Ant-Man was riding on is just a typical black ant. Personally, I think he should use his helmet to summon all the bullet and fire ants to attack Yellowjacket, and the audience will know how unbelievably awesome he can be.

I'm cool with the CG too. Honestly barely even noticed the ant riding the first time I watched the trailer. It was so quick. I'm thinking the 1st full trailer will give us more.

I personally thought it looked fantastic. I'm a big Ant-Man fan and have been waiting on this movie for so long, and it looks like it won't dissapoint. Can't wait to see more!

Last edited:
Well, that looked generic and uninteresting. Hopefully it's just a bad trailer for a good movie, but I won't get my hopes up.

it looks as generic as humanly possible. if they would at least show some of the kinetic fast paced action shots from the test footage.

so boring. sooooooo boring IMO

Reminded me of the somber Iron Man 3 teaser but with out the action money shots.

Kevin Feige talks more about what we should expect from the movie.
Apparently, we will first meet Scott Lang as he leaves prison, with him having served his time for crimes which have left him estranged from his wife and daughter (4-year-old Cassie Lang).

According to the Marvel Studios President, Ant-Man is "one of the most surprisingly emotional" movies yet to be released by them, and part of what brings Scott and Hank Pym together is the fact that Pym too is seeking redemption with his daughter, Hope Van Dyne.

"Hank Pym invented the Ant-Man technology, went on many adventures and is now much older and trying to recruit a new person,'' says Feige. "It's the first film we've made in which the story is about a torch being passed, essentially."

What could be Castillo's compound. Hard to tell if it is in the past or present.
7_Xfve_H7.jpg

Pym security Pena with a gun
rtb_TECc.jpg

A banged up looking Scott Lang (Rudd) after some training with Hope
y_K6ue_H3.jpg

Hope pointing a gun at someone or something
a_Bj_Yjcn.jpg

Stoll (Cross) banging on some glass
k45u_C7_W.jpg

People fleeing Pym Tech HQ
s_Po8kk_D.jpg

Holy hell Rudd is ripped.

Man. Nobody wants to give this a chance.

It's fine to have not liked the trailer but darn YouTube is ripping this thing apart.

I'm not sure what to think about this trailer. I'm sure the second trailer will be better and the joke at the end does indicate that they are aware of how 'not cool' it seems. It reminds me a bit of the meta-jokes in the Guardian of the Galaxy trailers & advertisement... a bit. I remain hopeful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"