The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nhseu0hMpp1qzco77o2_500.gif

It's cool how he kinda looks like Jiban.

jiban.jpg

Lol, it's one thing I can say. It was just ok, but it's just the first trailer, doomed to be forgotten by the time the 2nd one comes out. It had cool shots.

I was (and still am) hoping for a trailer more tonally in line with this one:

I'm not a fan of that type of trailer, it's basically the plot of the entire film in 2 minutes, they only thing they don't show is the identity of Iron Monger, and who wins that fight.

The Ant-Man trailer seems to be trying to appeal to a different demographic, I guess it assumes that there is a core group of Marvel fans who expect action set pieces and will show up to anything that takes place in the MCU. This trailer is saying '"we've got Rudd and Douglass, and this film is about their relationships with their daughters" which might appeal to a broader audience.

I liked the way that Pym was talking to Lang about Cassie, "This is the chance to earn that daughter's look in her eyes" "To be the hero that she already thinks you are" with a quick shot of Hope. I guess the general audience won't pick up on it, but its clear that this is the angle they are going for.

It makes a nice comparison to Iron Man and Iron Man 2, in which Stark is dealing with his father, that Ant-Man is from the perspective of two fathers considering their legacies to their daughters "It's not about saving our worlds, it's about saving theirs".

And it had a little man riding a flying ant.

I'm not a fan of that type of trailer, it's basically the plot of the entire film in 2 minutes, they only thing they don't show is the identity of Iron Monger, and who wins that fight.

The Ant-Man trailer seems to be trying to appeal to a different demographic, I guess it assumes that there is a core group of Marvel fans who expect action set pieces and will show up to anything that takes place in the MCU. This trailer is saying '"we've got Rudd and Douglass, and this film is about their relationships with their daughters" which might appeal to a broader audience.

I liked the way that Pym was talking to Lang about Cassie, "This is the chance to earn that daughter's look in her eyes" "To be the hero that she already thinks you are" with a quick shot of Hope. I guess the general audience won't pick up on it, but its clear that this is the angle they are going for.

It makes a nice comparison to Iron Man and Iron Man 2, in which Stark is dealing with his father, that Ant-Man is from the perspective of two fathers considering their legacies to their daughters "It's not about saving our worlds, it's about saving theirs".

Problem is: there are plenty of superhero movies nowadays, so the point of a trailer now is to show why and how the movie stands out from the competition. Recently Marvel sold very well even "minor" movies, like Thor TDW, which had terrific trailers. And let's not talk about Cap WS and Avengers.

Let's talk, instead, about GotG: the very first trailer was able to immediately draw attention both from Marvel fans AND from the general public. Everything was different from the other "similar" movies, especially because the trailer told you exactly that: this movie is different from the others. And it also told you: "you don't know the characters... heck, of course you don't, even they don't know who they are". And there you had a tree, a talking racoon, the green assassin, the funny jokes, and the MUSIC.

About this trailer: very generic trailer, nothing happens at all, we just get to know that a guy is telling another guy (in a super-solemn way) he has to become a superhero. Then we have two seconds with a flying ant (ok, would like to see more of that), people walking in circle (booring), and a final joke ("is it still possible to change the name?") which saves the trailer in the end.
Still: nothing, really nothing stands out. No real impact whatsoever. Why should the general public feel engaged by this trailer? For the cute little daughter? For the handsome white guy with charming smile? There are hundreds like him in these movies, so nothing new here.

I'm kind of shocked. Eagerly waiting for the second trailer...

I think it looks good im happy for paul rudd. The guy has been a grinder in hollywood and long overdue for a breakout role.

Can't believe I even have to remind that to anyone, but this is just the first teaser... Very rarely there is a first teaser for a movie (especially a superhero movie) that just blows everything out of the water. It was okay, as were many other teasers to movies that turned out awesome at the end. So chill out. More stuff will come.

Tonally, this feels like the first Iron Man film. I suppose that makes sense, given the fact that Ant-Man was in development first. I don't know. Guardians knew what it wanted to be and what it achieved, which was evident in the teaser. I don't get that with this one. Not that it's a bad thing, or that the film is in trouble, but the marketing isn't 100% on what they have, yet. We'll see. The buzz around the film seems positive, so I won't be doom and gloom yet.

Great teaser and excellent visuals.. cant wait for this movie to expand the MCU history further

haha pathetic Devin Faraci
http://badassdigest.com/2015/01/06/too-late-to-change-the-name-the-ant-man-trailer/

its so obvious that he doesnt like the trailer but he doesnt want to complain since he has a good relationship with marvel studios. dear lord. i still like to read his scoops but the hypocrisy is getting bigger and bigger every year.
I see another check cleared. I have no tolerance for him when it comes to comic book films.

It's okay to dislike the Ant-Man teaser, that doesn't mean that you've given up on the film. That doesn't mean that you suddenly hate Marvel.

Are we to assume that Douglas's version of Henry Pym hasn't figured out how to grow giant sized from the time that he would have been Ant-Man himself up until he recruits Scott Lang? Maybe it would probably require an extra catalyst reacting with the Pym particles for someone to become giant sized.

I wasn't a fan of the GOTG teaser but I saw how hugely popular it was. I guess it was clever from the stand point of introducing the characters and the music selection but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I suspect that Ant-Man's teaser won't be quite as well received but that doesn't mean that the film is doomed or anything. It has the Marvel name so it will be a hit.

It's amusing really. People are constantly complaining about trailers/promotional material spoiling the movie for them. And yet when we get a TEASER that DOESN'T do that, they then complain that it doesn't have more plot spoilers in it.

I was just sharing my thoughts with a friend: I thought the teaser was ok. Not great, but not terrible. Just very...basic. It is just a teaser, though, and I want to keep that in mind. I think we've been spoiled by teasers from films like Age Of Ultron and The Force Awakens, to the point that we now expect something breathtaking. But those are bigger, more grandiose films. Ant-Man will be a smaller (see what I did there?), more intimate heist movie, as opposed to a globetrotting or Galaxy-spanning adventure.

I also think they may have set expectations too high by doing the teaser-for-a-teaser thing, and debuting it on network television along with Agent Carter. They may have created a level of anticipation that the scale of the film could not match.

All of that being said, I can't wait to see more from this film, as it remains my third most anticipated of the year.

It's amusing really. People are constantly complaining about trailers/promotional material spoiling the movie for them. And yet when we get a TEASER that DOESN'T do that, they then complain that it doesn't have more plot spoilers in it.
Who is asking for the entire plot to be spoiled? Sweet straw man argument you got there.

It wasn't the most exciting preview but that's why it's called a TEASER. It wasn't meant to spoil all the action scenes or give the friggin plot away. That'll happen during the full trailer, and then everyone can start crying about how there are no surprises left for the actual film, instead of crying about how the teaser didn't show anything. :whatever:

Also, new footage = same old predictable whines about the CGI. It happens every. single. time. You can set your clock by it.

Man. Nobody wants to give this a chance.

It's fine to have not liked the trailer but darn YouTube is ripping this thing apart.

No wonder, Youtube is packed with the most worthless people the internet has to offer.

The teaser was decent. Not something amazing, but not bad either. I guess they're still working on the special effects, cause there were barely any effect shots in there. Still looking forward to it. Hopefully, the full trailer is better.

See, if this was the 80s you wouldn't even get that. You'd get maybe a glimpse of an ant, a glimpse of Lang if that, and the logo. Coming summer 1986 or whatever.

I was surprised to see that Rudd had a screenplay credit in the trailer.

I read the new Ant-Man comic and it was surprisingly awesome.
The comic really lived up to the hype.

I think Scott Lang is going to win a lot of new fans with that book.

Are we to assume that Douglas's version of Henry Pym hasn't figured out how to grow giant sized from the time that he would have been Ant-Man himself up until he recruits Scott Lang? Maybe it would probably require an extra catalyst reacting with the Pym particles for someone to become giant sized.

They are planing a heist so they probably want to keep the whole thing discreet. Having a ex-con Lang going giant size probably would attract attention on a secret heist.

I noticed there was the red liquid Pym Particle vials and what looked like some blue vials as well in Pym's lab which may be the enlargement Pym particles.

The Teaser Poster is genius & the Teaser Trailer is nice.
I'm sure the first real Trailer will show a lot more.

Perhaps. But then Guardians was arguably riskier, and while I don't think it's the most James Gunn-y of all James Gunn films, it's definitely a bit outside of the ravel wheelhouse and more inside of Gunn's.

Ant-Man is much more of a straightforward super hero tale than Guardians is. Ultimately, we still don't know what the "creative differences" between Wright and Marvel were.

Also, yeah, the eyes thing is neat.

I think its abundantly clear what the differences were.

Not only did Edgar Wright want to do his take on the Ant-Man mythos (I.E. An Old Hank Pym mentoring Scott Lang), but he wanted his story to be tonally different from the rest of the MCU, and truly standalone (with no ties other than being in-universe). These are things he's said himself. At least as far as being standalone, and it being his vision for "To Steal An Ant-Man" with a Hank who operated in the 60s.

If it were up to Marvel, Hank and Janet probably would've been in The Avengers (not Hawkeye and Black Window). It's no coincidence that Whedon's first iteration of The Avengers film heavily featured Wasp (to the point of concept art), but had to be revised to exclude her. And now..... we're hearing that she may be dead in the Ant-Man film.

In the end, it likely came down to Marvel (who had already waited 8+ years and agreed to an Old Pym, and in turn, Old Janet) not wanting to waiver on the MCU connections they wanted made in the film.

Wright wouldn't agree, and the rest is history.

Now that said, it would appear that Marvel has gone ahead with establishing Hank and Janet's contributions to the MU on film, with rumors that Hank (along with Howard Stark) will have created the first version of Ultron, and (if Evangeline Lilly's recent comments are true of the MCU), that Hank and Janet create The Avengers. Or at least on film, The Avenger Initiative.

Last edited:
It wasn't the most exciting preview but that's why it's called a TEASER. It wasn't meant to spoil all the action scenes or give the friggin plot away. That'll happen during the full trailer, and then everyone can start crying about how there are no surprises left for the actual film, instead of crying about how the teaser didn't show anything. :whatever:

Also, new footage = same old predictable whines about the CGI. It happens every. single. time. You can set your clock by it.

No wonder, Youtube is packed with the most worthless people the internet has to offer.

:pal::applaud

Now that I'm seeing it in action, I really dig the costume. I'm not overly excited for the movie like I have been with pretty much every other Marvel film, but they've got my money already. The only shock to me was that Lang has a daughter. I can't recall hearing about that plot point before.

I was surprised to see that Rudd had a screenplay credit in the trailer.

He did? I didn't see any credits in the teaser trailer.

Speaking of the teaser trailer, I really dug it! I'm betting the next full trailer will have much more goodies.

That credit goes to the Yahoo comment sections actually.

Average teaser in my eyes, and its just that, a TEASER. Nothing wrong with it, but you can tell that they aren't deep into VFX given how little shots of it we have, so no biggie.

I am intrigued by this film though, as I imagine it to have a sense of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" wonder to it. The only other thing I can compare the prospect of the "small" scenes to is Night at the Museum, which were all great. Showcasing this scale is going to be amazing I feel, especially when we don't get much of it in cinema, and that it will be with modern technology and VFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"