The Official "Ask A Brotha" Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people actually complain about blacks have the wise mentor role over and over again (Morpheus, Morgan Freeman roles).

People take offense to the "magical negro" appearing in movies as if it's some kind of unfair affirmative action that prevents whites from getting a fair shot.

Maxine from Batman Beyond

would Panthro or Winston Zedmore count? they were the group mechanics. i just count Panthro because i always imagined him as "the black thundercat."

Everyone knows that Panthero and Cheetara are the Black Thundercats. We know our people, no matter how they are portrayed. For instance, Tigger is the Black man of the Hundred Acre Woods.

I really do want a Static movie. WB needs to just get on that one.
Static is probably really far down WB's list of movies.

Cyborg, John Stewarts Green Lantern are the most likely Black DC heroes to show up in films.

Static will probably show up in Arrow or The Flash as a guest character.
From a nerd perspective, I'd have to say nay to both those assertions. I know what you mean about Panthro, but he's a big cat, come on dude. :) As for Winston, he really isn't the tech expert of the group, considering Ray and Egon. The tech experts I cited is generally the group's go-to guy for inventive technological solutions to problems, rather than just the fixit guy.

Winston in the script for Ghostbusters was originally going to be the most capable of the Ghostbusters, a former Marine with multiple degrees and a Ph.D. Eddie Murphy was supposed to play him but couldn't because of his commitment to making The Golden Child movie.

Last edited:
For instance, Tigger is the Black man of the Hundred Acre Woods.

:funny: Man, I'm not even going to touch that one.

Some people actually complain about blacks have the wise mentor role over and over again (Morpheus, Morgan Freeman roles).

People take offense to the "magical negro" appearing in movies as if it's some kind of unfair affirmative action that prevents whites from getting a fair shot.

I would not count Morpheus among the "magical minority" stereotypes (nope, I'm not using that other word, I just can't). The reasons he doesn't really fit that role are:

-he's not asexual, the movies make it clear he's gotten around, and his role vis-a-vis Niobe is still fraught with sexual tension
-he clearly has authority that is recognized by other characters above and beyond the white male protagonist; in fact, he retains this authority even after the white male protagonist has been elevated to his destined power status
-he outlives (I assume) his white male protege; in fact, he comes across as more human at the end of the story, whereas it is his white male protege that displays divine qualities

Last edited:
:funny: Man, I'm not even going to touch that one.

Not because of what Tigger rhymes with! Shame on you. It is about Tigger's personality. It should be as obvious as the fact that Snuffy on Sesame street does blow, or the fact that Shaggy is always high with the munchines. You must learn to read between the lines when it comes to these "children's" shows lol

I would not count Morpheus among the "magical minority" stereotypes (nope, I'm not using that other word, I just can't). The reasons he doesn't really fit that role are:

-he's not asexual, the movies make it clear he's gotten around, and his role vis-a-vis Niobe is still fraught with sexual tension
-he clearly has authority that is recognized by other characters above and beyond the white male protagonist; in fact, he retains this authority even after the white male protagonist has been elevated to his destined power status
-he outlives (I assume) his white male protege; in fact, he comes across as more human at the end of the story, whereas it is his white male protege that displays divine qualities

The magic negro stereotype isn't always literally about some fantastically powered Black person. The magic negro is a stock character whom exists for the sole purpose of assisting the White protagonist toward their goals e.g. The Legend of Bagger Vance. The magical negro can come in two forms

1) Mystical assistance (e.g. Tia Dalma in the second PotC)
2) Deep insights and wisdom (e.g. Morpheus in the Matrix)

Not because of what Tigger rhymes with! Shame on you. It is about Tigger's personality. It should be as obvious as the fact that Snuffy on Sesame street does blow, or the fact that Shaggy is always high with the munchines. You must learn to read between the lines when it comes to these "children's" shows lol

:funny: Actually, I always figured Snuffy is on LSD, because he's so slow and laconic all the time, and for a couple of years he wasn't even sure he even existed.

The magic negro stereotype isn't always literally about some fantastically powered Black person. The magic negro is a stock character whom exists for the sole purpose of assisting the White protagonist toward their goals e.g. The Legend of Bagger Vance. The magical negro can come in two forms

1) Mystical assistance (e.g. Tia Dalma in the second PotC)
2) Deep insights and wisdom (e.g. Morpheus in the Matrix)

But you see, Morpheus is different. He clearly has his own interests in mind when he mentors Neo, and it's not just to help Neo realize his destiny. First of all, he needs Neo to win the war vs. the machines, one which he has been fighting for a long time. Second of all, he needs to be proven right, that there is a One, to improve his credibility among other authority figures of the surviving humans.

The "magical minority" stereotype, as you mentioned, seems to exist solely for the betterment of a single white protagonist, and they appear to have no other major interests at stake in the story. That is not Morpheus.

:funny: Actually, I always figured Snuffy is on LSD, because he's so slow and laconic all the time, and for a couple of years he wasn't even sure he even existed.

I find that Snuffy was once Big Bird's "imaginary" but real friend, to be proof that Big Bird was also taking something lol.

Please elaborate on how Tigger is the black HAW member. I need to hear this lol. He has ADHD. Did black people start claiming that recently?

How does the black community truly feel about black face. If its Halloween and I am trying to portray a black character are you offended if I put black face paint on? I for one find this to be one of the more ridiculous things to be offended about.

I found an old Polaroid during Halloween when I was about 5 yrs old and my babysitter (female, around 13 with her friend) they dressed up as Steve Urkle and put on black face. I didn't find this offense I found it to be a great costume and funny.

If you're in the US, you should especially know that Blackface is messed up.

would Panthro or Winston Zedmore count?

Wasn't Winston the only Ghostbuster who wasn't a scientist?

How does the black community truly feel about black face. If its Halloween and I am trying to portray a black character are you offended if I put black face paint on? I for one find this to be one of the more ridiculous things to be offended about.

I found an old Polaroid during Halloween when I was about 5 yrs old and my babysitter (female, around 13 with her friend) they dressed up as Steve Urkle and put on black face. I didn't find this offense I found it to be a great costume and funny.

I find it offensive, but not blood-boilingly offensive. Honestly, if their costume is half decent, people should be able to figure out who a white person is dressed as without them having to dab dark makeup on their faces.

I laughed at Chappelle when he did whiteface for the racial draft sketch. In my ongoing quest to not be a hypocrite, I'm not allowed to be offended by blackface. However, I can see why some people would be though.

I guess I am just naive on the matter. I just see it as someone painting their face to become the character, just like someone puts on a mask to become a monster, or paints their face to become a zombie or vampire.

I'm not saying its right for white people to walk around everyday with their faces painted black and yelling jive at random folk, I'm just talking about Halloween specifically.

I guess I am just naive on the matter. I just see it as someone painting their face to become the character, just like someone puts on a mask to become a monster, or paints their face to become a zombie or vampire.

I'm not saying its right for white people to walk around everyday with their faces painted black and yelling jive at random folk, I'm just talking about Halloween specifically.

The issue is that someone's skin color is not equivalent of a mask or paint that you can just put on or take off.

So, it's not character's Blackness or Whiteness in terms of skin tone that makes them who they are. If I want to dress up as Superman, I just put on the suit. I don't need to put on makeup to change my skin for people to know who I am. And if some White person wants to dress up like Storm, they don't need to put on makeup too.

The stuff that Chappelle and RDJ did was meant to make us laugh because of how messed up it truly is in our culture.

Black face has historical racial has connotations with minstrel show and some people who 'dress up as a black person (fictional or real) do it to mock black people'.

Personally I find black face is ridiculous. You don't need to 'black up' to portray a black character and smearing face paint on your face doesn't make you look black just silly. If your Halloween costume if half good then anyone with common sense can work out who your supposed to be.

Steve Urkle has a very distinct look with the glasses, cardigan, high waisted trousers and braces so most people would be able to work out who you were supposed to be without putting on make up.

Last edited:

That's not what people take offense to. It's the black no-life-having-wise-side-character-who-will-probably-die thing that is played the @#$% out.

Key & Peele did a funny sketch about "magical negroes". They were literally magical but with all their powers they chose to be a janitor and a copy machine repairman. They even died fighting over who would get to mentor the "troubled white guy."

A while back on the bleeding cool forums some sad weirdo tried to argue with me that Geoff Johns turning the wizard Shazam into a black guy was some big deal and that we should be tap dancing and grinning about it (okay not his exact words but that's basically what it boiled down to :hehe: ). He just wasn't trying to hear the obvious truth that Billy Batson always has been the focus of the story and always will be. And of course the wizard empowered Billy and promptly died, lol.

"Lisa, vampires are make-believe, just like elves, gremlins, and Eskimos." :)

Sorry, I know you mean well and are an okay guy, but that post really reminded me of that quotation. The thing is, it becomes problematic when you put a race or ethnicity on the same level as a fictional construct. Which is one thing, and then when you add the fact that blackface historically (and not just in America, despite what blackface apologists in Europe, Canada and Australia say) has been used deliberately and precisely to demean and mock black Americans and Africans, it just shouldn't be done anymore.

I get it. I haven't ran into a situation in the last 20 years where I have seen anyone use it, or have wanted to myself. Just figure I'd ask. Thanks for clarifying things for me guys/gals.

This is why I love the SHH, white ignorant people like myself can come in and ask ridiculous questions about other races and get set on the right path :D you guys rock.

But you see, Morpheus is different. He clearly has his own interests in mind when he mentors Neo, and it's not just to help Neo realize his destiny.

Didn't Morpheus sacrifice himself and get captured by the agents just so Neo could escape? Didn't Morpheus put everyone else in constant danger just to find Neo, even when every other person began to lose faith that there truly was some person who could be "The One"? Morpheus, although an amazingly cool character, is still a magical negro stock character. Granted, a very complex characterization of the magical negro, but no less a magical negro.

Please elaborate on how Tigger is the black HAW member. I need to hear this lol. He has ADHD. Did black people start claiming that recently?

Tigger is the most down person in the woods. He's not afraid to fade Heffalumps and woozles. He always wants to kickback/chill and he is always rapping about himself (he has a song named after himself).

I could never stand Tigger. I always sided with Rabbit whenever that jerk showed up and started jumping on people's furniture & stuff.

Get the F outta here with that property-wrecking, garden-destroying happy hyper ish! We got a bear trying to nurse his honey addiction, an extremely nervous pig, a depressive donkey, and an owl slipping into dementia; nobody cares how pleased you are with yourself, Tig!
"TTFN"
No, just GTFO.

Everyone knows that Panthero and Cheetara are the Black Thundercats. We know our people, no matter how they are portrayed. For instance, Tigger is the Black man of the Hundred Acre Woods.

oh that goes without saying. unfortunately, i'm almost certain the Hundred Acre Woods is littered with his unsupported and illegitimate children. who do you think knocked up that kangaroo? i wonder if they have a Maury Povich show, out there.

j/k

it's a conservative estimate but 4 out of 5 white people who do blackface are insensitive a-holes. but there's still a small percentage that are good people who are just unaware of the controversy. and i'm just going by experience. rarely does someone don blackface without the intention being to shock others, gain attention, and/or be openly derisive of black people. in both occassions that i witnessed blackface, it was being carried out by all-white fraternities who had also engaged in some alternatively racist display (like putting a noose around the neck of a donkey painted black w/ big white lips). some people just find racism entertaining. for others, it's vandalism or slipping roofies into college girls' drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"