Batman Returns The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 4

As a big fan of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, it’s too bad DC doesn’t seem to be putting out a deluxe hardcover of the comic adaptation like they did with 1989.

MORGANGIRVIN_BATMAN.jpg

Returns Batsuit is much cooler than the first one. Sleeker, more stylized.

It's my favorite from the old movies. 89 suit improved in every aspect, imo. I hope the next Battinson's suit is improved like this.

We need a legit Batman Returns figure. Wish McFarlane would stop dicking around and give us a Batman Returns figure already

We need a legit Batman Returns figure. Wish McFarlane would stop dicking around and give us a Batman Returns figure already
I can’t believe we didn’t get another Mezco fig like we did with ‘89… it’s the 30th anniversary this year.

Man, I will never stop loving this cowl.

We fans are always debating which batsuits is the best, their details and textures, but we tend to forget about the lighting which is, in my opinion, probably the most crucial aspect when bringing the character to the screen.
And in this area, no one has ever again filmed Batman like Burton did. His use of light and shadow was absolutely perfect, and for that reason I still think he was the most successful at truly capturing the iconography of Batman from the comics to the movies.

No need for a debate on this. Both BR and Die Hard are official Xmas movies, I declare it. :D

I will say, I do think Batman actually looks a bit scarier and more ferocious in the 89 suit. The somewhat rougher around the edges look to it works in that way.

But the Returns suit is clean/sleek perfection.

After rewatching Returns, I still can't figure out why...

1. Selina went to all that trouble breaching Max's password and told him about it and then was shocked that he was going to kill her. Was she dumb, or was she trying to blackmail him in a clumsy way?

2. Why was Bruce dumb enough to tell Max that he knew Oswald was leading the Red Triangle Circus gang? Was he dumb, or did he just know that Max wasn't smart enough to figure it out that he was Batman no matter how obvious he made it? Max Shreck has got to be one of the dumbest villains in movie history, as Selina even pointed out to him in the finale ("Because he IS Batman you MORON!").

It wasn't the fact that she'd accessed the protected files in itself that got her killed, it was the fact that she admitted to stumbling across the very specific plans for turning his power plant into a power consumer. Admittedly, the way they had her character come out with that exposition was somewhat sitcom-y and clunkily done, but I think it works with what we knew of her character up to that point, i.e., being a kind of awkward, scatterbrained motor mouth who doesn't know when to stop talking.

I don't think Bruce was necessarily dumb for letting Max know that he knew about the Penguin's criminal activity. I don't see what advantage it gave him in bringing it up during the meeting (perhaps an attempt at provoking Team Shreck/Cobblepot into making a rash move to silence him and thus potentially exposing themselves? It does make Max noticeably agitated and fidgety when it's said), but still, it'd be a pretty mammoth leap for someone, even a white collar criminal like Shreck, to suddenly finger Bruce Wayne as Batman, just because he drew a link between Oswald and the RTG.

Also, it's always been my headcanon that Shreck asked Wayne why he was dressed as Batman, purely so he could come out with that epic one-liner before shooting him. That's my in-universe explanation for why he said it. :funny: I refuse to believe that Shreck was that dumb lol.

Selina went to all that trouble breaching Max's password and told him about it and then was shocked that he was going to kill her. Was she dumb, or was she trying to blackmail him in a clumsy way?

It comes off as believable enough she just thinks being really honest and open about what and how much she knows would be best, that she considered Max tough and intimidating enough to make her nervous but not considering he would be that ruthless to be violent against her. And/or she was just too curious but then thought she couldn't cover her tracks, hide she found what she found, unless she was open.

Why was Bruce dumb enough to tell Max that he knew Oswald was leading the Red Triangle Circus gang? Was he dumb, or did he just know that Max wasn't smart enough to figure it out that he was Batman no matter how obvious he made it?

Not particularly obvious that just because he brought up that kind of accusation he was himself a crimefighter but he did clearly enjoy pushing Max's buttons.

Batman Returns was my first ever theater experience, way back in 1992… you could say it had an affect on me.

Tonight, I finally got to catch it once again in the theater.

375AAD62-1E30-4A1A-80C6-7CB7EE6E6482.jpeg

…listening to everyone laugh at Pfeiffer and DeVito was a delight.

I just read the Batman 89 comic. Story isn’t good but it’s worth it for the art. I guess No Way Home has set the precedent that old heroes sell so maybe we’ll get that 3rd Burton film after all. You can’t tell me WB isn’t bouncing that idea around right now.

After rewatching Returns, I still can't figure out why...

1. Selina went to all that trouble breaching Max's password and told him about it and then was shocked that he was going to kill her. Was she dumb, or was she trying to blackmail him in a clumsy way?

2. Why was Bruce dumb enough to tell Max that he knew Oswald was leading the Red Triangle Circus gang? Was he dumb, or did he just know that Max wasn't smart enough to figure it out that he was Batman no matter how obvious he made it? Max Shreck has got to be one of the dumbest villains in movie history, as Selina even pointed out to him in the finale ("Because he IS Batman you MORON!").

I always saw it as;

1) Selina was too naïve... her mentioning the password was an accidental consequence about trying to prove her worth to Max.

2) Bruce mentioning that wasn't a huge 'secret' and assuming there were articles Burton never showed from the Gotham newspapers also making the connection. I really wish we got more Bruce in the public in these two films, I understand the recluse vibe '89 had, but Keaton and Burton (plus Waters) rocked the tough businessman and the comedy with Bruce/Selina in that scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"