The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, just watched The Forgotten last night. Kind of crazy almost the whole last page of this thread has a bit about it. I love the revolting, spitting, slime ball. Also, Alfred in the Batwing is great. Is that what it is called in this?? I'm making my way through the series after not seeing since original play on tv. I probably like this show more now at 34 than I did then.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/51668953170/mad-as-a-hatter-batman-the-animated-series-btas

xBAbUN0.gif
56wsXC2.gif

UKJT5CG.gif
VNjBxeQ.gif

I miss my toy Batwing. You could always pop off the wings when it got 'damaged' or crashed. I just miss playing BTAS all afternoon, after episodes aired right after school.

BTAS Episode: The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/51695379324/the-cape-and-cowl-conspiracy-batman-the-animated

NRrcCcA.gif
aKFlXx6.gif

90oc0KR.gif
aj498AG.gif

uMwfLzQ.gif
3fDugZo.gif

RiKU6BS.gif
lSUWodE.gif

fRBzUTH.gif
U9dsyT6.gif

Trivia

• The episode is based on the comics story "The Cape and Cowl Death Trap!" (Detective Comics #450, August 1975), also by Elliot S. Maggin.
  • This episode contains the first use of the Bat-signal in the DC Animated Universe.
  • In pre-production, the original script was to have someone steal the cape and cowl and impersonate Batman while on a crime rampage. This would have been based on an episode of the old George Reeves series The Adventures of Superman.
  • Bruce Timm mentioned in an interview that he was originally going to have Batman show his face to Wormwood as he gives him the cape and cowl, but he changed his mind, as he does not like seeing Bruce without his mask on. Strangely enough, Bruce pulls off his mask in the next episode.
  • Bud Cort later voiced Toyman on Superman: The Animated Series.
  • John Rhys-Davies later voiced Hades on Justice League.

Last edited:
Great episode. Love the cat mouse and games between Batman and Wormwood.

I love The Forgotten
Cape & Cowl conspiracy is awesome

Giving up his cape and cowl and the suddenly looking like Zorro was my favorite part of that episode. Not to mention the Bat Signal introduction.

I loved his funny growl in that ep... just after he took his cowl off.

Mad as a Hatter is a great episode, Hatter got pretty solid episodes on the show.
Hatter from Arkham City was creepy specially once you listen to the Hugo Strange recordings.

Cape and Cowl Conspiracy... one of my favorite episodes.

Is there a Gif from Riddlers reform where Batman disappears with the flash of the lightning? I love how the crowd who had just laughed at Batman got freaked out.

So many beautiful shots in this show. Batman coming or going into the shadows always get my giddy.

I have not had the chance to say this, but, Kane, thanks for the .GIF sets. They look terrific and show a lot of thought invested in the selection and placement of the images. As always, I eagerly await each set.:yay::up::up:

One of the great things about the intro sequence is there is no Batman title anywhere. Bruce Timm said they figured anyone watching this would know they were looking at Batman.

He's so right.

I have not had the chance to say this, but, Kane, thanks for the .GIF sets. They look terrific and show a lot of thought invested in the selection and placement of the images. As always, I eagerly await each set.:yay::up::up:

No problem. :woot::up:

Ever since my last marathon of BTAS, I always had this in mind to gif each episode highlighting the best parts.

This was a perfect episode. (and I'm probably gonna make at least two more rounds of it.)

BTAS Episode: Perchance to Dream

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/51982325770/perchance-to-dream-batman-the-animated-series

EBbUCfu.gif
eaT4aso.gif

mNmWgar.gif
rclnzsP.gif

sKuEi4S.gif
PSFMFxN.gif

8l9f8CY.gif
kFGStYK.gif

pu9abPG.gif
1hQfHgy.gif

Trivia

• Although the entire series is heavily indebted to Film Noir, some of the most explicit references are found in this episode. The climax at the bell-tower is perhaps a nod to Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo and Batman directly quotes Humphrey Bogart's final paraphrase from The Tempest in The Maltese Falcon in the end. The dreamlike nature of the storyline is very much in common with Film Noir. Interestingly, the climax also resembles the finale of Metropolis and Tim Burton's Batman, in which Michael Keaton's Batman and Jack Nicholson's Joker face off in the spire of a cathedral.
  • This episode marks the first time in the DCAU where Batman and Bruce Wayne come face to face with one another.
  • By this episode (in production order), Kevin Conroy's voice for Batman began to change slightly, becoming less raspy and more gruff compared to previous episodes (the voice would continue to change slightly in The New Batman Adventures and Justice League).
  • The title comes from a line in the famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy from the play Hamlet, in which Prince Hamlet debates with himself whether or not to commit suicide, or to face the cruel travails of the world, and specifically the task of avenging his dead father which has been put before him. This is a subtle, but intriguing parallel not only to the story of the episode itself, but to the story of Batman in general. Also, Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman in the series, appeared in a number of Shakespeare plays during the 1980s, before being cast on the show.
  • The theme and conflict found in the episode are both similar to those faced by Superman in the Alan Moore story For the Man Who Has Everything. In that story, Mongul uses an alien plant to place Superman in a fantasy world where Krypton never exploded. Indeed, this story was eventually adapted in the Justice League Unlimited episode with the same title.
  • Leslie Thompkins essentially sums up part of the episode: the persona of Bruce Wayne, who has never had to work for what he wants, is jealous of the personality of Batman, "whose every deed has great value". Thus, the two personalities fight each other in the bell-tower for control of Bruce Wayne.
  • In Batman: Animated, Paul Dini wrote that the producers rarely explored the idea of Bruce being tempted to give up being Batman and lead a "normal" life. Kevin Conroy added:
    “ Batman needs Bruce, however hollow that identity feels to him from time to time. Bruce keeps Batman human.... I think the temptation is there, but the temptation is to retreat into the cave and never come out. To give up his disguise as Bruce Wayne and surrender himself completely to the darkness. ”
  • In that sense, Batman seems to be able to tell that the dream world is a lie, because the temptation it offers is not truly the one he feels.
  • The main clue that the Mad Hatter is behind the events of this episode is the fact that his theme plays in this episode's title card.
  • Bruce buys "a flare gun and some flares", probably with the intention to get Batman's attention. However, he never actually uses them.
  • Both Bruce and "Batman" act slightly out-of-character in the dream world, with Bruce being considerably more harsh than playful toward Alfred and "Batman" unusually calm and collected.
  • One of the men who "Batman" stops during the jewel heist resembles The Penguin's henchman Jay from "I've Got Batman in My Basement".
  • Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman, has stated on his Twitter account that this is his favorite Batman: The Animated Series episode.
  • The Supernatural episode "What Is And What Should Never Be" has a plot similar to this one. Both episodes feature the villain putting a character in a dream-like state (Batman/Dean) where their parents (Bruce's parents/Dean's mom) were never killed. They don't believe it at first but start accepting it until they see signs it's not real. Both leave their dream by killing themselves.

Brilliant episode. One of the best. It was surreal seeing Bruce Wayne fighting Batman in the bell tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"