The Official Choose A Director Thread

Originally Posted by BoBByJoMo
I haven't really read many of the Superman comics, (Yes, I'll admit to it) but I have seen the animated series, which initially got me hooked on the character.

From my understanding of the character and his history, S:TAS was a pretty accurate adaptation of the comicbook hero. There were really great elements that really made the show a classic. Whether they were storylines or character relationships, S:TAS was sophisticated and cool, yet child friendly.

Here's what I would like to see in a Superman Returns sequel:

- Make Clark like he was in S:TAS. In the series, he had some quirks, but he
wasn't anything like Christopher Reeves' interpertation. Clark was a quiet
guy and blended in, but he was normal. Not geeky and certainly no "swell"
in his vocab. I mean, come on, this is 2006 (the sequel will be in 2009).
That might have worked in the 70's, but times have drastically changed
and no one talks like that anymore.

- Give Lois more of a punch. I loved the human/maternal side shown in
Superman Returns, but I want to see the fiery reporter that I fell in love
with on the series. I want to actually see her, you know, reporting.
Maybe put Luthor on the spot like she did continually on the television
show. Or have her constantly competing with Clark to get top spot. I'm
sick of Jason going where ever she goes. GET A BABYSITTER!

- Lex Luthor. This is a tough one. While I would love to say, GIVE HIM
LEXCORP, I don't know if that's a possibility anymore. I mean, he is a
convicted criminal with serious felonies under his belt. No way in hell would
the government allow Luthor to become such a serious mogul (especially
one who's bascially in control of Metropolis city). But perhaps, Lois could
make a comment on how the government keeps a close eye on him, but
they never act; mainly because Luthor's got some of the greatest art-of-
war technologies being developed. (So, basically, it could be explained
that the government and Luthor have reached some sort of agreement).

- Make Jimmy more like a 20-something year old just out of college, living in
a major city. No 20 year old is going to be wearing a bow-tie or saying
"Mr. Kent". If the two are really friends, Jimmy would call him Clark. I think
his S:TAS adaptation was accurate, while still quirky (as true to his iconic
personality).

this is right on:supes:

Wesyeed said:
Hello friends. The topic for today will be about what you'd like the director to watch or read to get ideas for the sequel.

What episodes of a cartoon or tv show episode is so fascinating, that it deserves some consideration? Any comics you can suggest too?

Here's mine:

I just watched the metallo episode of superman TAS and I think it's a great episode showing luthor's manipulativeness and Corben's inner struggle with his loss of humanity, how it drives him insane. That'd be great to see.

Then I watched an episode with brainiac. This was definitely a missed oportunity for SR because supes could have found brainiac in space and learned about his past and everything like in this episode and really have a conflict about destroying brainiac and his legacy at the same time or using brainiac to get more information about his people etc. And revealing brainiac as being partly responsible for krypton's destruction was cool. That'd have been great too.

From the comics, I'd take the idea of superman being cloned. I can't remember what issue or anything. I just know he was at some point.:yay:

How about you?

Maybe thats why he wont show (according to Singer) the Krypton scene on DVD. Maybe he wants to use this scene in the sequel to show us how Brainiac got to earth or something.
He could have downloaded himself at Kal-Els ship and then as the ship was heading towards earth he could have downloaded himself to a sattellite or the Fortress...:huh: :woot:

since we're talking about the sequel, i would like Singer to familiarize himself with Brainiac from all mediums that the character has appeared in: Pre and Post Crisis comics, Superman cartoons, JLU, the works. this is just a specific character less popular than Lex Luthor so maybe that shouldnt be too daunting for him hmm?

I think Bryan and company watched some of the animated series. At least the first episode. Superman saves a falling plane in it, and it was practically done shot-for-shot in SR.

Not sure if Singer ever read these, but since he's introduced the "Son of Superman," he better read the graphic novel of the same name. It's a really good book/story that I certainly wouldn't mind if Singer took some cues from.

As for Clark, I think Singer would be helped a great deal if he read Busiek's "Secret Identity" -- sure, that story is about a man who lives in a world where Superman is a fictional character (Whom he becomes), but it captures the outsider story very well -- as well as the "family" component of Clark/Lois.

As I've suggested, the kid is a great direction for Superman -- Singer needs to make sure though that this takes a direction seen in the above books. Treated well, he has an opportunity to win over a LOT of people -- even those who've crapped all over SR.

Not sure if Singer ever read these, but since he's introduced the "Son of Superman," he better read the graphic novel of the same name. It's a really good book/story that I certainly wouldn't mind if Singer took some cues from.

As for Clark, I think Singer would be helped a great deal if he read Busiek's "Secret Identity" -- sure, that story is about a man who lives in a world where Superman is a fictional character (Whom he becomes), but it captures the outsider story very well -- as well as the "family" component of Clark/Lois.

As I've suggested, the kid is a great direction for Superman -- Singer needs to make sure though that this takes a direction seen in the above books. Treated well, he has an opportunity to win over a LOT of people -- even those who've crapped all over SR.

Ok so if you had a choice between seen Singer do a sequel to an arguably successful Superman Returns film with possible villains such as Metallo or Brainiac... OR if you could have Brett Ratner film what he wanted to a "reimagining" of Superman.

Which would you choose and why?

Yep that's right only 2 choices. Singer of Ratner...

To help those who didn't know what Ratner envisioned:

First off some old stuff about a Ratner Superman movie.

First one sounding a bit ironic of course with the public outing on Singer about his budget problems... Also we see that he believed in an unknown for Supes as well.

http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=19534

The reason for leaving SUPERMAN had to do with the budget according to Ratner.

"My version of it which was with J.J. was so expensive, because we were shooting on a planet," explains Ratner. "We were shooting a civil war on Krypton so to build the planet was a little expensive especially for Warner Bros. and with an unknown actor. So I just couldn't see myself as doing ‘Tom Cruise as Superman.’ I just thought that it had to be unknown the same way Christopher Reeve was an unknown."

http://www.latinoreview.com/moviereviews/2002/reddragon/brettratner.html

What would you like to do the franchise that hasn't been done before?
BR: I see a man in a red and blue suit, a man flying through the air. That's basically my vision.
Come on!!
BR: [Laughing} What? That's what I see. I see a guy flying through the air in a blue and red suit. Again it's in the script. J.J. Abrams delivered a *beep* amazing script and that's why I'm doing it. They [WB] talked to me about it when Tim Burton fell out of it the first time, and I think it was Kevin Smiths script? Right? It wasn't there [the script]. This movie [script] has heart, it has soul, and its different enough you know? It's got emotion, its real, you care about the character. Kids today don't know those movies; they [movies] were done 20 years ago. 10-year-old kids know SUPERMAN, but they don't know the mythology.
They've got SMALLVILLE! [Outburst of laughs] <ha ha, sorry sv fans their choice to rib on the show>

http://movies.about.com/library/weekly/aa092602a.htm
The new "Superman" movie will not be an origin story but instead will be a 're-imagining' of the Superman legend. In a press release issued by the studio, President of Warner Bros Alan Horn said, "'Superman' is an American icon and a timeless hero who shares a rich history with Warner Bros. We are very happy to be working with Brett, Jon and J.J. on this important new chapter in the 'Superman' legacy."

Known proposed cast

Superman- Matthew Bomer
Lois Lane- Lara Flynn Boyle
Lex Luthor- Ralph Fiennes
Perry White- Christopher Walken
Jor-el- Anythony Hopkins

matt%20bomer.jpg

laraflynnboyle.jpg

christopher+walken.jpg

vcsabequem.jpg

anthony_hopkins.jpg

I wasn't a fan of Boomer. Hopkins was a great choice for Jor-EL however. I prefer Singer, but Ratner's would certainly have had some great eye candy.

Anyone but Singer.

Let someone who's not in another director's shadow do it.

We dealt with Lester trying to continue doing donner's superman and now a billion years later it's the same thing with Singer.

It's time to end it once and for all and get someone to Nolanize Superman.

I'm torn because I think SR is a very good film, however I always wanted a more origin based film too start things off. Hmm

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
I'm torn because I think SR is a very good film, however I always wanted a more origin based film too start things off. Hmm

I'm the opposite. I didn't necessarily want a sequel to the Reeve/Donner films, but the last thing I wanted was an origin story. We've all seen it before, even if it had been almost 30 years. I know it could be done in a new and interesting way, but bottom line I just don't want to see Krypton blowing up and baby Kal-El flying to earth in a rocket ship, crashlanding in Smallville, being raised by Ma and Pa Kent, and have to rediscover his powers and become Superman all over again. Batman Begins worked because we hadn't seen a Batman origin-story on film before.

I honestly think Singer had the right approach with Superman Returns in starting the series midstroak, with Superman already at the top of his game. However I wish instead of using the Donner films as his backstory and inspiration, use *gasp* the comics. Maybe use some non-linear story telling to vaguely explain the backstory, only briefly hinting at or referring to Superman's origin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a comic-purist by anymeans. And I actually did enjoy Superman Returns a great deal. Enough to want to see it more than once. I just would've liked to have seen a fresh take on the characters and story instead of trying to remake the original. I mean, Kevin Spacey was a great choice for Luthor. How awesome would it've been to see him play the businessman Lex Luthor we're all used to? The deciptively charming, maniacle, CEO of LexCorp, almost anitchrist Lex Luthor? It would've been amazing. But no, we got to see Kevin Spacey do his best Gene Hackman impression.

All that being said, what's done is done, you can't just simply start a whole new franchise now. All we can hope for is a damn good sequel. A good start would be to have Brainiac as the villain and introduce either Darkseid or Doomsday for the third.

Don't give up. I don't believe we're stuck with anything.

Just recount the origin begins style using flashback or even a montage over the credits during the opening. Heck Batman 89 didn't really have more than a quickie flashback to the pivotal moment in batman's life and it was alright. Bam, five minutes and the origin's done. Continue with the adventure.

Nobody cares about seeing Jason become superboy or Richard getting told to screw off, and nobody cares to see lex and his bimbo henchwoman trying to sell land again so no big loss if all that's gone in the sequel thingy I'm sure.

Wesyeed said:
Don't give up. I don't believe we're stuck with anything.

Just recount the origin begins style using flashback or even a montage over the credits during the opening. Heck Batman 89 didn't really have more than a quickie flashback to the pivotal moment in batman's life and it was alright. Bam, five minutes and the origin's done. Continue with the adventure.

Nobody cares about seeing Jason become superboy or Richard getting told to screw off, and nobody cares to see lex and his bimbo henchwoman trying to sell land again so no big loss if all that's gone in the sequel thingy I'm sure.

The Batman 89 analogy is a good one. That's actually immediately what I thought of, when I saw SR, the way I wished it would've been done I mean.

You're right though. While SR grossed a great deal at the box office, it still didn't live up to WB's expectations, and there has been a great deal of backlash concerning certain elements, so it's probable that Singer will change things up a bit for the sequel, assuming he stays on. Too bad we have to wait 2-3 years or so to see. :(

After the X3 disaster Ratner should stay away from Superhero movies. Singer all the way!!

Singer of course! But IF WB didnt want Singer for some reason (from what we've read they do) for the sequel I wouldnt want them to start again.

I dont understand why some of you guys dont want Singer for the sequel. Yeah SR didnt have a lot of action, which from what I can tell lack of action was the problem most of you had, but he wanted to introduce and develop the characters in the first movie so he can bring in the action in the next film(s). I know we have been introduced to the characters many times but I think it was a great way to start.

IF you dont like the sequel either then I could see why you'd guys would want to replace Singer.

Plus....Matthew Bomer??? Come on. I'm so happy Routh got the role... Everyone I've talked to about the move, even if they didnt like it much or at all (very few didnt like it a lot) were telling we that Routh did a good job and he was awesome as Supes/Clark/Kal-El.

singer can direct better, I think SR was similar to the original and was very uninteresting because Singer wants to continue the story, but also refresh it, so it's accessible to old fans and new ones, which means he was only half meeting both.

I think Singer's next Superman would be amazing if he will do a space villain, something new and exciting, something we haven't seen before, I think Singer will re-invent superman subtlely!

C.Lee or anyone who was around back then, I'm curious, is this ^ kind of thing what people were saying after Superman III? Or even Batman forever?

I feel dejavu. Like I'm still back in the 90s after batman forever came out.

Wesyeed said:
C.Lee or anyone who was around back then, I'm curious, is this ^ kind of thing what people were saying after Superman III? Or even Batman forever?

I'm going off of singer's track record, I'm interested in seeing the next superman, not massively hyped, but interested, however if that flops, i'll prob not see the last in his trilogy until it's on DVD or sumthin

I'm a bit torn.

Ratner obviously fits into the category of Michael Bay , in that he'll create a very action packed and thoroughly entertaining movie .
Say what you want about X3, but he did introduce many mutants . Whether they were wasted is another matter. But he did it , something that SInger simply could never do.

And with Red Dragon especially , i think that Rattner is a person who'd make a fine movie should he have an impressive cast. And looking at his cast list ( Ralph Fiennes as Lex Luthor , SWEET LORD THAT WOULD'VE ROCKED BIG TIME :wow: ) , Hopkins as Jor El and Walken as Perry White , it does looks impressive .
And after watching X3 , i'm confident to say that Rattner can handle big VFX sequences properly.
I'm not so sure about Lara Flynn Boyle as Lois tough ( too skinny , althought the same can be said Kate Bosworth:oldrazz: ; as well as the fact that Boyle hasn't really impressed me enough with her acting) but it could probably work.

The onlly problem would be the script. Now granted it would've featured lots of action and destruction , but the last thing many people want such a drastic reimagining of the history of superman.
I dunno to what extent the draft of Abrams was changed , but the lex being an kryptonian agent , Jor El sendin his son away cause of Kata Zor was a bit too much actually.

As for the Superman doing aerial Kung Fu. Well i'd rather would've like to see that actually :woot:

Still given how Returns turned out to be and with Singer not being someone who takes risks ( see X2 , improvement over X1 but it's still the wolverine show) , i'd want to see Rattner's version.

Cyrusbales said:
I'm going off of singer's track record, I'm interested in seeing the next superman, not massively hyped, but interested, however if that flops, i'll prob not see the last in his trilogy until it's on DVD or sumthin

no, yeah, that's cool. I'm just curious because I feel like I've seen this before where someone hopes the sequel to a sequel to a sequel is better.

Oh and I'm going to own you in Risk :cmad:

Wesyeed said:
no, yeah, that's cool. I'm just curious because I feel like I've seen this before where someone hopes the sequel to a sequel to a sequel is better.

Oh and I'm going to own you in Risk :cmad:

The more I think about SR, the more I like it, but if i watch it again, i'll prob be disapointed lol. There were really good bits in it, just badly linked. I think the major floor was writing on SR!

I'll give him one more chance, then it's over for him, lol.

BTW, don't I own europe at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"