The Official Devil May Cry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only thing this game did wrong was its marketing of new Dante. From that first announcement trailer with him smoking to the newer ones where it was always just clips of him flipping people off and saying **** you. They could have showed there was more to the character. The game has alot more to it then that. At the same time I guess it got peoples attention and caused controversy, so it probably worked out for them. Still, there was probably a way not to piss off the fan base as much as they did.

Last edited:
There were so many people complaining before we even saw any of that stuff though that they'd already made up their minds. That's why there are still so many people complaining who haven't even played the game.

There were so many people complaining before we even saw any of that stuff though that they'd already made up their minds. That's why there are still so many people complaining who haven't even played the game.
Yeah I dont get the close minded mentality, not even willing to give this a chance and possibly be pleasantly surprised. I would understand if this was released and it was universally panned but its not even getting mixxed reviews. The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. If all the gaming outlets are saying this is good, then its most likely not the steaming pile of crap, some were hoping it would be

The announcement trailer back years ago was pretty ******. I just thought it didnt do the game justice at all.

Theres no reason not to play it at this point. Aside from biased user reviews , I havnt seen one negative write up. A few mixed, but they are far and few between. All seem to praise the combat regardless.

Has anyone seen the Japanese Trailer yet? It makes me actually think the game might not be so bad. But that's because they do a mighty fine job at avoiding showing anything that I dislike. And the music is great.
That was an awesome trailer. I didn't see that one before.
Spoilerish, though.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Someone had to say it

I'm still a bit sore, I like the new direction, but I'm a bit sore (I prefer the human mother)
If sore fans are lucky, that rumor of two different directions being still in motion, original series will have a sequel some years from now, while the reboot will have it's sequel worked on by Ninja Theory

The announcement trailer back years ago was pretty ******. I just thought it didnt do the game justice at all.

Theres no reason not to play it at this point. Aside from biased user reviews , I havnt seen one negative write up. A few mixed, but they are far and few between. All seem to praise the combat regardless.

Couldn't agree more man. The first images and video I saw of this game really turned me off and I was in the whiny fanboy camp. However the more videos they released and then the demo that dropped, completely sold me that this WAS Devil May Cry. And thank god I was able to get over that stupid fanboy bias because this game has become one of my favorite titles this gen. It's just so effing slick.

Spider-Aziz said:
Someone had to say it

I'm still a bit sore, I like the new direction, but I'm a bit sore (I prefer the human mother)
If sore fans are lucky, that rumor of two different directions being still in motion, original series will have a sequel some years from now, while the reboot will have it's sequel worked on by Ninja Theory

Say what? Your original post made very little sense.

And I do not see that rumour being true in any way shape or form. Like the indoctrination theory for Mass Effect, that is most likely a theory created by ******** fans full of wishful thinking. Having TWO DmC series going at once just makes no sense from a branding point of view whatsoever.

Face it, there's a new series. Move on. Nostalgias great but look at it this way, if they did DMC 5 as a direct sequel to DMC 4, it probably STILL wouldn't be as good for you as DMC 1, 2 or 3 because it's not the style of those games that work but the nostalgia and memories you associate with those games that were great contextually at the time. '

Now, there's a new Dante and a new series. It's good, it's appropriate and it still feels like DmC. So why you can't you let the games you enjoyed in the past stay where they are, the past, and enjoy this game now for what it is, a good game that expands on a good series?

What is with this fan obsession of trying to recreate everything and reject everything different? Hell, I loved Earthwork Jim, Toe Jam and Earl. I loved Shadowman and Turok. I loved Gauntlet Legends and Timesplitters. These were all games i loved. But if they announced they were doing a new one, I wouldn't demand it was the same or needed the same continuity... All that matters is that someone maintains the spirit, tone and fun of the original and hopefully expands on it and makes it better.

That's what DmC has done.

Last edited:
Say what? Your original post made very little sense.
Yes, that's why I quoted you saying that and replied "someone had to say it", I had trouble reading what I said earlier

And I do not see that rumour being true in any way shape or form. Like the indoctrination theory for Mass Effect, that is most likely a theory created by ******** fans full of wishful thinking. Having TWO DmC series going at once just makes no sense from a branding point of view whatsoever.
[YT]u-54OpEwE0w[/YT]

You knew I'd say that because its logical?

That reminds me ALOT of the situation with Amazing Spider-Man (the film, of course)

The only reason that is left is appeal. Even with good scores, solid gameplay, and great presentation, what's holding me back is what they've done to the core characters. Sparda is now nothing like the Legend from the previous games and has been turned into a push over. Vergil is now a scheming coward. And almost omnipotent Mundus, is now a Demon Banker that controls the world through debt. Surprisingly, the one I dislike the least is Dante. He can be good, as long as he doesn't act like a rebellious punk.

Last edited:
I didn't get "scheming coward" at all from Virgil. Maybe you and other fanboys should just play the game first. Or does that make too much sense?

Last edited:
Nah, I enjoy people getting miffed, just because I don't want to play a game. And I don't think it's necessary anyway, when I can just watch the cutscenes. It's not like playing the game would suddenly give me a better understanding of Vergil, especially because you don't play with him at all. [BLACKOUT]We have Vergil who is basically hiding around for years, planning, but not able to do squat until they eventually get Dante. The sword almost seems like decoration, as Dante practically does all of the dirty work. And Vergil can't even be arsed to help people, who were crucial to his success so far. And when he does, he compromises the operation, by shooting a demon woman in the back, like a coward and with a sadistic smile.[/BLACKOUT]

I simply don't like how characters have been revamped. If everyone else enjoys them, good for them. I already made my peace with the fact that DMC as I know it is dead and won't be coming back. And I made it a point not to try and step on anyone's toes who actually enjoys the game.

Last edited:
Nah, I enjoy people getting miffed, just because I don't want to play a game. And I don't think it's necessary anyway, when I can just watch the cutscenes. It's not like playing the game would suddenly give me a better understanding of Vergil, especially because you don't play with him at all. We have Vergil who is basically hiding around for years, planning, but not able to do squat until they eventually get Dante. The sword almost seems like decoration, as Dante practically does all of the dirty work. And Vergil can't even be arsed to help people, who were crucial to his success so far. And when he does, he compromises the operation, by shooting a demon woman in the back, like a coward and with a sadistic smile.
Pfft, he did the right thing by shooting her like that
Kat was rescued, they got away, a giant monster Dante fought and defeated as a baby won't grow to be a giant strong hard monster taking its pa's legacy

Thanks for the spoilers, guys. ¬¬
Time to run from this thread.

Yep Aziz will probably spoiler tag that... Any day now

Nah, I enjoy people getting miffed, just because I don't want to play a game. And I don't think it's necessary anyway, when I can just watch the cutscenes. It's not like playing the game would suddenly give me a better understanding of Vergil, especially because you don't play with him at all. [BLACKOUT]We have Vergil who is basically hiding around for years, planning, but not able to do squat until they eventually get Dante. The sword almost seems like decoration, as Dante practically does all of the dirty work. And Vergil can't even be arsed to help people, who were crucial to his success so far. And when he does, he compromises the operation, by shooting a demon woman in the back, like a coward and with a sadistic smile.[/BLACKOUT]

I simply don't like how characters have been revamped. If everyone else enjoys them, good for them. I already made my peace with the fact that DMC as I know it is dead and won't be coming back. And I made it a point not to try and step on anyone's toes who actually enjoys the game

Thats not really cowardice, that shows how involved in this plight Virgil is. He doesnt care to follow some geneva convention like bs when he knows the demons won't. Theres nothing cowardly about Virgil, misguided? Absolutely. He's pretty much become a Ra's Al Ghul type character here, which has fit this new world brilliantly.

Couldn't agree more man. The first images and video I saw of this game really turned me off and I was in the whiny fanboy camp. However the more videos they released and then the demo that dropped, completely sold me that this WAS Devil May Cry. And thank god I was able to get over that stupid fanboy bias because this game has become one of my favorite titles this gen. It's just so effing slick.

Yeah, The demos combat and level design on some of the preview vids got me to pre order. Games a hell of a ride. I have a feeling alot of the hate will be gone by the time the sequel comes around. Hope they can get a sequel ready faster this time.
The only reason that is left is appeal. Even with good scores, solid gameplay, and great presentation, what's holding me back is what they've done to the core characters. Sparda is now nothing like the Legend from the previous games and has been turned into a push over. Vergil is now a scheming coward. And almost omnipotent Mundus, is now a Demon Banker that controls the world through debt. Surprisingly, the one I dislike the least is Dante. He can be good, as long as he doesn't act like a rebellious punk.

Mundus was my least favorite take and I thought Vergil was kinda weak as well in parts. Hopefully Sparda gets developed a bit more in a sequel, seemed like they wanted to keep his background and even his face secret . Overall I felt they were small complaints in a solid well executed game. But I do agree some of the characters could have been followed a bit more closely to their source, and benefited from it. Best stuff character wise imo is with Dante and Kat.

Last edited:
The scene when Kat [BLACKOUT]gets shot and beaten in front of a powerless Dante,[/BLACKOUT] was great. If they could have just let the characterizations stay intact from the previous games, and applied DmC's presentation, narrative and emotional impact, that would have been just fantastic.

I think things will feel more in place by the next game, this one really just sets everything up.

I think things will feel more in place by the next game, this one really just sets everything up.

IF we get a follow up, I hope Team Ninja doesnt start looking backwards at the old games too much, they deff need to push forward with what they have created. They're clearly a talented team with a great vision for this world.

Going through the game again and im reminded at how fantastic a job Tim Phillips did with this character. Some of his lines and the way he delivers them are just spot on. I think my fav line has to be when he's jawing with the Succubus. "Im your prom date you ugly sack of s**t!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"