The Official Metal Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to pick up the pace. Im so far behind most of you guys.

I'm really on the fence this time. And I didn't expect that. Witcher 3 or Metal Gear Solid V. Seriously. My favorite parts about games - strong narrative and amazingly crafted setting with large set of interesting characters. And Witcher 3 excels at that. But at the same time, Metal Gear Solid V is a technical and visual marvel. Gameplay masterpiece with amazing set of tools to play with, many systems that make the game very rich experience-wise, great replay value. Fantastic art-direction, some of the best I've ever seen in games. The story concept is captivating, but handled relatively poorly. So what's worse - repetitive gameplay or flawed narrative? Can't answer it for now.

Witcher is going to be really, really tough to beat. CDPR handled Geralts swan song in a way few other devs are able to do. Its still my top as of now, but im apparently not even close to beating Metal Gear yet and theres still Fallout and some others to drop this year.

Oh yeah, I also did that FOB infiltration thing yesterday, too. Sucked.

What answers it doesn't provide?

Well I mean, we don't really get to see Big Boss becoming the big bad who starts recruiting child soldiers and making them his own soldiers, the only thing we learn is that Venom is the one Solid Snake kills in MG1.

I just dislike endings where you learn the other guy was making "the real" deal which in this case is the Outer Haeven Big Boss made.

In regards to the witcher.. I stopped playing.. Doubt I ever go back. Nothing against the game I just got insanely bored and I don't have the time for it.

My GotY will be down to MGSV, Fallout 4 and probably Halo 5.

Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are easily the Games of the Year, where's both Batman Arkham Knight and MGSV have disappointing stories, one could ponder is MGSV more disappointing with its story because it has higher expectations, but Arkham Knight..... Batmobile, need I say more?

MGSV is, no contest, my GOTY so far, but I've not really played many games from this year. Splatoon would probably be the closet number two, but MGSV really is legit.

There is no game out that currently plays as fun as MGSV. Not one. It is the most fun game to play in 2015. Story be damned.

I've got to agree. MGS V is my favorite game of the year. I'm having a blast with it, and I haven't even made it that far into the story yet!

Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are easily the Games of the Year, where's both Batman Arkham Knight and MGSV have disappointing stories, one could ponder is MGSV more disappointing with its story because it has higher expectations, but Arkham Knight..... Batmobile, need I say more?
My game of the year so far is definitely The Witcher 3. I found it every bit as fun to play as the Phantom Pain, maybe even a bit more, while I found the narrative thoroughly engaging. When the final credits rolled, after well over 100 hours, it got me. It also has a wicked sense of humor. Sadly, it came out too early in the year for actual consideration imo. Same happened with the Witcher 2.

I have really enjoyed playing MGSV and Arkham Knight was great, but both definitely disappointed me in terms of narrative. I don't understand the reason for the Phantom Pain's structure. Way too little story spread way too thin, delivered poorly imo.

I just finished the game.

The gameplay was outstanding and the variety in how you can approach any situation is staggering.

Chapter One was excellent. It didn't feel like too little story and I thought it was well paced.

Chapter Two was a mess and makes me think a not insignificant amount of content was axed from the game.

Overall, though:

HQ2wJBB.gif

Well I mean, we don't really get to see Big Boss becoming the big bad who starts recruiting child soldiers and making them his own soldiers, the only thing we learn is that Venom is the one Solid Snake kills in MG1.

I just dislike endings where you learn the other guy was making "the real" deal which in this case is the Outer Haeven Big Boss made.
[BLACKOUT]Outer Heaven is Venom. Naked created Zanzibar Land. I don't know, I feel like I don't care about those details. They have little importance. The whole idea that there were two bosses is enough for me. Shame the story of Eli was left behind the scenes, other than that, I really don't care how Naked started to train child soldiers. There would be a silly little reason anyway, explained by needs of a new state. I feel like I had enough of MG saga and it made a nice cirlce in the end.[/BLACKOUT]

Way I see it

Venom Snake, the one who lost just about everything in this game, was the one who went off the deep end with the whole child soldier, war machine insanity from MG1. Look at the way Big Boss was depicted in MG2, the character was treated as very noble, and several of his enemies from the first game (the resistance fighters like Kyle Schneider, Dr Madnar, Gray Fox) were fighting loyally underneath his banner, and the child soldiers working in Zanzibar weren't deployed in combat roles. That's because it was Venom Snake whom was doing all those attrocties, and not Big Boss.

Way I see it

Venom Snake, the one who lost just about everything in this game, was the one who went off the deep end with the whole child soldier, war machine insanity from MG1. Look at the way Big Boss was depicted in MG2, the character was treated as very noble, and several of his enemies from the first game (the resistance fighters like Kyle Schneider, Dr Madnar, Gray Fox) were fighting loyally underneath his banner, and the child soldiers working in Zanzibar weren't deployed in combat roles. That's because it was Venom Snake whom was doing all those attrocties, and not Big Boss.

There's enough ambiguity in the final chronology to leave it up in the air as to how bad Jack/Naked Snake gets by MG1 and MG2. You're interpretation could be the way it works out, or it couldn't:

The MGSVTPP timeline says that BB1(Naked Snake) is forming the Outer Heaven Nation, while in the game the Mother Base BB2(Venom Snake) builds is called Outer Heaven as well. The timeline then says that Solid Snake is deployed by BB1 against Outer Heaven, but it's not made clear if BB1 is doing so because he genuinely wants BB2 taken down, or if he's sending in SS to maybe extract Gray Fox but then pull out without succeeding in taking down BB2 (the original timeline where he doesn't expect SS to succeed.)

In favor of your vision is BB2's clearly damaged mental state, particularly in that last cutscene, and the way BB1 is much more erudite and vocally respected in MG2. However, I'd argue that BB1 is also slipping into darkness, albeit a much more cold and calculating type of darkness: unleashing a brainwashed body double to rescue your friend and take revenge for your loss while you continue to build a private army to wage a war, isn't any better. And we know that Miller said he would oversee BB2 and try and turn him against BB1, and we only see Miller working against BB1, possibly implying that he doesn't begrudge BB2.

I'd prefer that BB1 and BB2 are still working together in MG1, and that the events play out in such a way that both men are ultimately doomed by their stubborn nature. So to me, BB1 sends SS to extract Gray Fox, and sends a briefing tape to BB2 to allow that but to defeat SS if he goes farther. When SS pushes through and succeeds, BB1 tries to sabotage his mission as in the original game, thus outing himself to the Patriots and possibly Snake as well. Now that their cover's blown, BB2 tries to take SS down, possibly against the advice and pleading of Miller. BB2 gives a good fight, but falls.

Now, Miller has even more reason to turn on BB1; while his old friend abandoned him and tried to make him a pawn in his war against the Patriots, he also sacrificed the man who actually rescued Miller and helped him get revenge. BB1 can now rebuild his army, but with a bit more openness about his identity, and thus a higher profile and dignity in his defeat.

Oh yeah, whatever way you prefer I still definitely think that
Big Boss was becoming somewhat villainous in his cold pragmatism. Everything that he did with Venom Snake was quite cruel in how he played with this other man's life, the life of a man whom had shown him nothing but loyalty. Also, in the cassette tapes Ocelot mentions how the entire patients and staff of the Cyprus hospital will likely be killed when it became clear that he was awake. Big Boss raised no arguments and took no issue with that. The man had become cold and perhaps heartless in his war against Cipher. Venom Snake was just a damaged individual who had undergone several tragedies. His fall, at least, is understandable.

So what are the chances of a chapter 3 DLC with 15 new main missions and 25 new side ops?

or is that idea out the window due to the whole Kojima and Konami issue?

Way I see it

Reading your answer just makes me wish it happens in the actual game.:csad: We don't see it or play it, just read it.

I have a question about Quiet.
So I was randomly doing my free roam thing and Episode 11, aka her boss battle popped up out of nowhere. I chose to not shoot her and took her on the chopper but then she escaped. Is that supposed to happen? I read that her boss battle appears when you are on your way to make contact with Emmerich, but that mission never appeared for me. How do I get her recruit her now?

eta: scratch that. I just got the cutscene after the mission

Last edited:
154 side ops out of 157. I think, I'm gonna puke...

So finished up Chapter 2, and I have to say, I really don't see why a lot of people are saying it's really incomplete. Outside the glaring omission of concluding [blackout]Eli and Mantis's storyline[/blackout], I thought overall it was fine. Less story than Chapter 1, for sure, but it concluded a lot of the lingering points from Chapter 1 fine and most of the stuff that wasn't in the cutscenes were in the tapes. But **** mission 45. Goddamn man, I don't know if it was part of the mission or not, but a standstorm started halfway through it and I swear to god it took me like thirty tries. And then you [blackout]lose the ability to use Quiet forever? The hell, man? I used DD more, but she had good uses.[/blackout]

Anyway, I assume most of the spoilers you guys are talking about is mission 46? Because goddamn, I really don't know what to think of it that. I'm going to have to process that one.

How many missions are there total? I just got past mission 20.

50 main missions, 157 side ops. Like 8 of those main mission are harder versions of older missions, though, so there's like 42 main missions really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"