The Amazing Spider-Man The Official Emma Stone/Gwen Stacy thread - Part 2

:wow: :hrt:

The-House-Bunny-emma-stone-2172694-2062-1650.jpg

that's how it should be though. what's the point in killing off gwen if it's void of emotion?
I know, and I feel the same way. It's just a strange combination of emotions is all, lol.

Still, the second film is too soon to kill her off I feel. However I do think it's a great time to introduce Mary Jane and Harry Osborn.

Still, the second film is too soon to kill her off I feel. However I do think it's a great time to introduce Mary Jane and Harry Osborn.

i agree, intro harry and mj for sure... id be really upset if that doesnt happen. have gwen die in the third, and show signs of MJ and Peter's relationship blossoming.

though... it also really makes me hope we get more than just a trilogy... i really do wish we eventually saw peter and MJ finally get married on film :(

I'd be fine with her dying in the 2nd OR 3rd film. As long as MJ is introduced well before it happens (along with Harry), and has a chance to be friends with Gwen for a time. The change in her dynamic with Peter before and after Gwen's death is gonna be hugely important to her arc, imo.

Time will tell what the filmmakers decide to do with Gwen. I think it's pretty obvious that most everyone involved is interested in telling the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story. And they're moving in the right direction. I'm already very attached to the character, along with many other fans, so they're setting up for a real heartbreaking scene.

I would guess that her death all depends on how many films this series ends up having.

I'd be fine with her dying in the 2nd OR 3rd film. As long as MJ is introduced well before it happens (along with Harry), and has a chance to be friends with Gwen for a time. The change in her dynamic with Peter before and after Gwen's death is gonna be hugely important to her arc, imo.

That's kinda how I feel. If its only going to be a trilogy I want her dead in the 2nd. I really don't want the film series ending with gwens death.

You can't plan past a trilogy (realistically), so Gwen must die in the second film.

Ideally if this is a Osborn trilogy, kill her in the second, and make it spideys "empire strikes back" yes it will be compared to the dark knight returns, but the second act is typically where the villain gets the upper hand anyway... And this reboot IS the equivalent imo of the Batman reboot (though I'm glad its not overly realistic like Nolana films) anyway.

Yes, if this is indeed going to be a trilogy, she must be killed off in the second film. I feel like killing her off in the third film would end the story on a really somber and sour note. The second film is where that should happen because, as I've said before, you will have a really interesting arc for Peter Parker in the third film. As much as I'd like to see more Gwen, realistically, if it's going to happen, the second film is the time to do it.

I wouldn't be too worried about it being compared to The Dark Knight, either. The fact is, the death of Gwen Stacy is one of the most iconic, heartbreaking and talked about moments in the history of comic books. And if/when it happens, it may rival TDK on those terms. If, after seeing that epic scene take place in a Spider-Man film, some moron can only muster the words "Well they just copied The Dark Knight!", I will personally get up out of my seat and slap the taste out of his mouth.

Last edited:
I'm getting a bit sick of all this 'Gwen * HAS * to die in the second movie if all they're making is a trilogy' nonsense. Not a single person has offered any explanation as to why her death could and would not be just as impactful if it occurred in the third film in the trilogy as it would be if it occurred in TASM 2.

I'm getting a bit sick of all this 'Gwen * HAS * to die in the second movie if all they're making is a trilogy' nonsense. Not a single person has offered any explanation as to why her death could and would not be just as impactful if it occurred in the third film in the trilogy as it would be if it occurred in TASM 2.

Because no one wants a film series to end on a downer? And her death really wouldn't be that impactful at the beginning of the 3rd film.... So it just makes more sense in a trilogy to have her killed at the end of the second film with the goblin having the upperhand.

My opinion as a filmmaker myself:

Have a different villain for the majority of the 2nd film. Introduce MJ, Norman, maybe Harry(though he doesn't need to be in this trilogy really imho), and JJJ. Norman becomes Green Goblin in the second act. Climatic scene is Gwen's kidnapping and death. Final act is Peter vs Green Goblin but Peter loses.

And then the last film will basically be the big ending to the trilogy with Green Goblin and another villain to spice things up. MJ relationship gets on a role too. They don't need to develop all the way, but resolve it more happily and optimistically than Spidey 3 did with that last scene.

Unless someone could actually explain to me how Gwen's death occurring in the last film is better...it's ASM2 or bust. As an aspiring filmmaker, I find it difficult to grasp how inserting such a drastically emotional and dark scene in the supposed last film of this series will benefit the franchise.

If that was so, it wouldn't happen in the 1st Act. Never! And if in the 2nd or 3rd, it could take away from other plot points and I'd like to end the trilogy on an optimistically content note...not a depressing one.

ONE MORE POINT. If they were to wait until the 3rd film, audiences will expect a main character to die. Death is one of the biggest leads and events in final films. Take TDKR for example. We all know at least one major character will perish in it. So to kill Gwen in ASM2 would come off as more unexpected then if it was to occur in the last film.

And her death really wouldn't be that impactful at the beginning of the 3rd film

BS. There's absolutely no reason why Gwen's death occurring early on in the third film would lessen the impact of her death, either from a narrative standpoint or from the standpoint of its impact on Peter.

That's a load of horse-crap. There's absolutely no reason why Gwen's death occurring early on in the third film would lessen the impact of her death, either from a narrative standpoint or from the standpoint of its impact on Peter.

You forget the fact these are individual films released two years apart. Most people won't be watching the films back to back, so there is a factor of losing sone emotional attachment. Killing off Gwen in the first act of any film is a horrible idea if you really want an impact at all. Its common sense. And really.....? isn't ending a film with the hero losing better than tacking that onto the next film? Why add more to a film that's suppose to wrap everything up? Asm2 would be pretty epic if it ended with gwens death, and the last scene shows MJ shutting the door to stay and console peter.

Last edited:
Uh, yes it would lessen the impact from a narrative perspective.

Whenever in a major film franchise, trilogy even, has one of the legitimate main characters being murdered or killed off? And if it has occurred(refresh my memory please), did it benefit the film?

From a cinematic and narrative standpoint, the 3rd Act of ASM2 seems most logical. And general audiences won't see it coming from a yard away unless SONY botches the marketing.

I wouldn't say that the impact of her death would be lessened if it were to happen at the beginning of the third film, but I just don't think that's where you would want to go in terms of a trilogy. If it was me, I would want the audience coming into the third film focused on Peter and how he's dealing with Gwen's death and how he'll deal with the Green Goblin. For that to be allowed to happen, she must die in the second film.

If it were practical to treat this series as more than trilogy, I'd keep Gwen alive for the second film. But it's not practical. The only superhero series to make it to four consecutive films were Superman and Batman, both of which dropped off halfway through. Films generally don't make it past a trilogy while maintaining quality. And since you don't want to end a trilogy with the tragedy of Gwen's death, so she must die in the second film. Simple as that.

IF Sony and the powers that be were able to come up with a great master plan that could have Peter going through, let's say...SIX films where he has a meaningful and new exciting journey and lesson to learn in each film, while presenting threats in a way where it doesn't become old and stale at some point, then I'd say kill Gwen off in the third film.

But since I doubt that this will be the case, having her die in the second film would be best in terms of drawing an impact.

Honestly, I think any deaths of any major characters that takes place at the beginning of a third film doesn't really hold much weight. I felt like Count Dooku was an important figure in the Prequel trilogy after he was introduced but when he was killed off in the first act of Episode 3, I really just couldn't feel the impact of that.

In any case, if the producers also want to tackle some type of romance/hint of romance between Peter and MJ then it'd be more realistic to have Gwen killed off in the second film after having established that MJ and Gwen were good friends as well, and to use that tragedy to bring Peter and MJ together sometime in the third film, with Peter gaining a renewed sense of hope that his life won't be overshadowed by tragedy by the conclusion of it.

I was expecting a bit more screen time from Emma, but omg I'm not complaining.
She was smart, cute, funny, badass i just wanted to jump in the screen and marry her

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"