Gotham The Official Gotham News and discussion thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But would he be the Joker as we know him at that period in time though?

Absolutely not, but it's just a promo designed to get people excited about watching the show.

[YT]yV2RUFJIT4k[/YT]
New promo airing during the All Star game tonight. A bit surprised Bruce isn't showcased.

That...may have been one of the most awesome spots for a tv show I've ever seen.

Hate when they do those kinds of videos. Can't watch a damn thing.

tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo1_250.gif
tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo2_250.gif

tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo3_250.gif
tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo4_250.gif

tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo5_250.gif
tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo6_250.gif

tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo10_250.gif
tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo7_250.gif

tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo8_250.gif
tumblr_n8t9i6hUAW1qb10wfo9_250.gif

This looks very bad. I mean the acting in every bid of footage looks bad. And this looks so stuffed, that I find hard to believe it will work. Everyone looks very fake.

I REALLY hope it's better than it looks.

...I dunno man, I just don't see what you're seeing.

me neither. I can't wait to see this show. I hope it will be great and successful.

This show looks better and better with every spot/trailer that is released, I am so hyped for it. I wonder when we will get it in the UK, has there been any dates set yet?

This looks very bad. I mean the acting in every bid of footage looks bad. And this looks so stuffed, that I find hard to believe it will work. Everyone looks very fake.

A. It's impossible to tell what the final product will be like from a two minute trailer.
B. I disagree with your assessment of it anyway. I think you're WAY off.

I think there might be some theatricality that's throwing some people off. Gotham's going for a timeless feel and a certain faithfulness to the comic book aesthetic. As a result, you can kind of tell that you're looking at "characters" in "costume." To some people, that looks cheap.

I applaud it, though. There's a certain operatic feel to the Batman Mythos, and the rest of the aesthetic looks much more like L.A. Confidential than anything else. Characters should have a unique style and look, especially since we know these characters will become much more iconic in time.

I agree, we should be grateful to have a show who is willing to embrace what makes Batman's city unique, instead of just trying to be another generic procedural show.

chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Always has to be someone to make that Debbie downer kind of post.

This show looks better and better with every spot/trailer that is released, I am so hyped for it. I wonder when we will get it in the UK, has there been any dates set yet?

Ok I'm calling it, UK can't have the show until they put out more Sherlock episodes.

First two critic responses after the TCA screenings:
San Jose Mercury News - Chuck Barney
Journalists attending the TV critics press tour on Wednesday got a look at the Batman origin series, "Gotham," and the final verdict is that it mostly lives up to all the buzz.

That should come as great news to Fox, a struggling network in desperate need of a hit. "Gotham" delivers a fun, dark, moody and well-paced first hour that puts juicy story lines into motion and gives us glimpses -- albeit tantalizingly brief ones -- into the formative years of colorful criminals-to-be such as Catwoman and the Penguin. All in all, I have more confidence in this show going forward than I did in "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" at this time last year

I was sucked in by the atmospheric look of "Gotham," set in a sprawling city that production designers have made just the right amount of grimy. (Of course, it looked way cool up on the big screen at the Warner Bros. lot). Ben McKenzie as intense rookie cop James Gordon has a commanding presence, and Donal Logue as his veteran, jaded partner Harvey Bullock, brings his usual rumpled charisma to the screen.

But stealing the pilot is Jada Pinkett Smith, who gobbles up scenery as Fish Moony, a fierce, sneering gang boss who wears black leather and decorates her hair with red streaks. With swagger to spare, Moony isn't afraid to mix it up with the bad boys and she's an absolute blast to watch.

I don't want to spoil anything (and we'll have a full review closer to the Sept. 22 premiere date), but it's not giving too much away to say that "Gotham" revs into action with the horrific murders of billionaires Thomas and Martha Wayne. It's at the crime scene that Gordon meets a 12-year-old Bruce Wayne (David Mazouz) for the first time and promises to track down his parents' killers.

"No matter how dark and scary the world is right now, there will be light," he assures the boy, with whom he feels an instant kinship. Cue the gun fights and chase scenes.

"Gotham" is the story of Gordon, the man who will eventually become commissioner. At this point, he's a callow -- but tough-minded -- former war hero with "a little danger" in his eyes and is just learning to navigate the multiple layers of corruption that suffocate the city. The Wayne double murder is an ultra-high profile case and there are hints of a cover-up at work.

With no superhero to build plots around, the success or failure of "Gotham" might largely hinge on how well it is able to differentiate itself from a pedestrian police series on a week-to-week basis. Of course, no other police procedural can rely on villains as wildly out-there as the Riddler and the Joker, but it remains to be seen if the actors playing those roless will be able to capture our imagination and hold our attention in this setting.

For now, all we know is that the city of Gotham is perilously poised "on a knife edge." And come September, I predict viewers will be on the edge of their seats.
http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_26165918/gotham-tv-critics-get-first-look-at-buzzy
New York Daily News - David Hinckley
“Gotham,” the Batman origin series that premieres Sept. 22 on Fox, has the look of a stylish winner. Te pilot of the hot-buzz series, screened for TV critics here Wednesday, plays like a 45-minute movie, with stunning visuals that never feel like a shrunken TV version of the “Batman” films against which it will inevitably be measured.

“Gotham” starts with the precise genesis of the Caped Crusader — the night young Bruce Wayne’s parents are gunned down in front of him in an apparently routine stickup gone bad. Young Bruce, shaped forever by this trauma, will grow up to be Batman, a human instrument of justice his parents were denied.

In “Gotham,” which is set in a time very close to the present, that future mission only percolates. The show itself focuses on James Gordon (Ben McKenzie), an idealistic detective who will eventually be promoted to commissioner. Gordon catches the Wayne murder case with his partner Harvey Bullock, a jaded cop in which the old spark may or may not flicker.

Donal Logue’s Bullock repeatedly steals the show, as easily as street orphan Selina Kyle (Camren Bicondova) steals wallets and milk for her pet stray cat. Yes, meet the future Catwoman. For now, maybe call her Kittenwoman. She mostly watches — in contrast to our future friend the Penguin, who waddles into the heart of the story with no good outcome for anyone.

"Gotham” has a dark look. Fog and clouds seem to hover in the distant sky over the city, which doesn’t compromise its CGI majesty. Some of the dialogue feels lifted from a comic book, which shouldn’t surprise anyone, and the writers inject wit into the most dire of situations.

Right off the bat, “Gotham” is looking pretty good.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...tory-gotham-sleek-screening-article-1.1870953

Like I said in another thread. If ratings waver. I wonder if they will pull a short fast-forward to see a slightly older (16-17) year old Bruce Wayne?

I hope the rest of the season is as good as the pilot seems to be.

One Crime Will Unite Two Partners:

[YT]9iy6dQ769oI[/YT]

The Origin Stories Begin:

[YT]nitt8NdnQFk[/YT]

One Detective Will Become A Legend:

[YT]pexzkGXnusE[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"