The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mjölnir;23180571 said:
I think they were strong at different aspects, which fits the character development. I feel much more compassion for Norton's banner and the situation he's in. Ruffalo's banner is more likable as a person, as he isn't particularly tormented, and plays up different aspects.

Since they did do the Banner on the run story in TIH I think Ruffalo's banner wouldn't have been as convincing on the internal struggle. That's not a comment on Ruffalo's acting though, as he probably would have acted differently if he had been on board back then.
I think they were purposely written that way. It had more to do with the script than the acting itself. The Banner's were at different stages of their development as people dealing with a horrible problem.

To me, we've never had a BAD Banner...it's just they've gotten better with each new portrayal.

Bana was, what did someone say above? Serviceable? That's the right word. You felt sorry for him...and there were no groan-worthy acting problems...but it just seemed like he was bland and generic. Decent, but meh.

I think we can all agree that Norton was posed to crush the role. I know for a fact he was interested in the role and not just sleep walking. In fact, he really wanted to make the movie less action and more character because he cared. But unfortunately there wasn't enough humor written into the movie and he simply switched between "feel sorry for me" and "ooohhh my life is so hard". He's got more in his arsenal...and he did much better than Bana...but there wasn't a lot of nuance that we all know he's capable of.

Rufallo? CRUSHED, KILLED, OWNED the role of Banner. He fr@#$@#g owned that role. So much nuance. Such a different Banner. I agree with the poster who said there was a warmth portrayed that had never been there before. And of course, the humor. An argument could be made that Norton simply wasn't given those types of lines so it wasn't his fault. I can admit that, but still Rufallo worked the lines in ways that Norton never even hinted at acting.

I'd love a new Hulk movie, but I'd rather wait and have them get it right.

I felt Norton on paper was a good idea, after all he did so well in fight club. However when he played Banner, he seemed like he didnt wanna be there like he was just going through the motions. It was a good movie, but not great. The director Louis was a bad pick, and it suffered from other casting and writing flaws IMO.
The Avengers however Spot On! Ruffalo is perfect, because he captured that warm quality we loved from Bixby. However he also injected his own to it, Ruffalo was INSPIRED casting. The man even looks like the hulk, which worked when he was hulk. Also the way he used some Gorilla Movements, made alot of sense with hulk. The one thing i would have liked to see translated over from TIH, is the green eyes and the green veins. Otherwise The Avengers Hulk transformation was perfect, painful and a slight of horror to it. I love how everyone was on edge around Banner, and when widow was trapt next to him she was so scared he was gonna change.
Agree completely.

I had high hopes for TIH but the movie was painfully average. Finally with Avengers we get the Hulk movie we were promised by the makers of TIH. Banner and the Hulk are just perfectly executed.

I'm very happy for Hulk fans around the world. Your Green Goliath gets his day in the sun. It's about time.

Whedon just understands these characters better than any director since Donner did Superman.

It's amazing to watch.

You can tell it's not lip service when he tells you he grew up with these characters. I hate it when I here directors and actors tell us they read the comics when they probably just may have glanced at a cover or two or had a friend who had some comics.

I think they were purposely written that way. It had more to do with the script than the acting itself. The Banner's were at different stages of their development as people dealing with a horrible problem.
Yes, that's one of my intended points. That's why I think Norton is equal to Ruffalo because they both succeed with what they were intended to do. Norton clearly was very involved with the character, seeing how he wanted to bring in more drama, which means that he wants to go deeper into the character.

I actually have it harder to figure out how Hulk is going to turn out in the future than I had before the Avengers. Banner being able to hulk out at will makes him a completely different character and there's no more unwilling hero in the Avengers. But I'm sure they'll find is place and don't make him into a more unassuming and timid Tony Stark.

As a huge hulk fan......I had the biggest grin on my face from the perfect portrayal of the hulk. My friend said he could cry from the hulk awesomeness when we were watching the movie.

I had a permanent grin during the Hulk/Thor fight in the helicarrier. I was like, "Finally!". :)

Can someone tell me how Banner described hulking out to Tony? I forgot.

It was a word or short phrase and it was negative.

As a huge hulk fan......I had the biggest grin on my face from the perfect portrayal of the hulk. My friend said he could cry from the hulk awesomeness when we were watching the movie.
just quote it:woot:

Can someone tell me how Banner described hulking out to Tony? I forgot.

It was a word or short phrase and it was negative.

Are you referring to "I don't get a suit of armour. I'm exposed...like a nerve. It's a nightmare."?

It's one of my favourite lines of the film and his whole delivery there was brilliant.

You can tell it's not lip service when he tells you he grew up with these characters. I hate it when I here directors and actors tell us they read the comics when they probably just may have glanced at a cover or two or had a friend who had some comics.

But it's not just him being a huge fan; it's also that he knows how to translate that enthusiasm into something that audiences want to watch. There have been directors who are comic book fans but still fail at doing what Whedon accomplished.

You hit the nail on the head.

When a director says they read comics as a kid a red flag goes off. I have to wonder how much can they respect the material if they lost interest in comics while they were still kids.

I think alot of directors and writers read a comic here and there for research without having an overview of how these characters fit in a larger universe and what gave them lasting value and appeal. You need a fanboy for that. A gifted fanboy but a fanboy none-the-less.

I wish I could clone Joss Whedon and let them direct dozens of superhero projects because there are few fanboys as talented as him who can break into the major studio system.

But it's not just him being a huge fan; it's also that he knows how to translate that enthusiasm into something that audiences want to watch. There have been directors who are comic book fans but still fail at doing what Whedon accomplished.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm just saying he really understands their characterizations as he's really well read in their histories and sincerely grew up with them.

Yea, the dialogue was just so smart and sharp. Single lines here and there give us such an insight into these characters. And the dialogue just suits the characters, it makes them real, the words they speak you can't imagine coming out of anyone elses mouths.

Sooooo damn good.

Yea, the dialogue was just so smart and sharp. Single lines here and there give us such an insight into these characters. And the dialogue just suits the characters, it makes them real, the words they speak you can't imagine coming out of anyone elses mouths.

Sooooo damn good.

Which is why it's going to be tough to go back to the solo films without Whedon's imprint. It's both a blessing and a curse what was accomplished with this film with him at the helm.

I'm curious to know though, why Feige wouldn't allow Norton to use the emotionally compelling scene where he attempts to shoot himself in TIH ..... and yet he was cool with the reference in The Avengers when Ruffalo says he once tried to put a bullet in his mouth and the other guy spit it out.

Selvig: "We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation."

Nick Fury: "That can be harmful..."

Looooved it!

Are you referring to "I don't get a suit of armour. I'm exposed...like a nerve. It's a nightmare."?

It's one of my favourite lines of the film and his whole delivery there was brilliant.

I love this line.

Which is why it's going to be tough to go back to the solo films without Whedon's imprint. It's both a blessing and a curse what was accomplished with this film with him at the helm.
So true. I'm so enamored with Wheadon's take on the MU that I'm scared the other installments are going to pale next to this.

Loved The Hulk.

To my surprise, after asking a few non-comic fans who their favorite character was they said it was The Hulk. hmmm...they need to keep this actor and Hulk design and make a new movie I think. They found the perfect version of the Hulk to use.

So true. I'm so enamored with Wheadon's take on the MU that I'm scared the other installments are going to pale next to this.

Nothing against guys like Branaugh, JJ, etc .... but it would be like switching back to kool-aid after you've been sipping on the finest squeezed juice on the planet. Marvel's got a bit of a dilemna on their hands IMO because of the precedent this movie set. If I were them, I'd do whatever I could to keep Whedon involved in all the of the projects to some capacity .... whether that's proof reading scripts, executive producing, etc. etc.

I agree...if someone else does Avengers 2...they are going to have giant shoes to fill.

He definitely needs a permanent position with a title of some sort under Feige at MS. Maybe someone needs to start a petition, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"