The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read reviews that mention it, I've seen people who have seen the movie say it and just looking at the trailers/spots I really think this Hulk is one of the greatest CG creations ever.

Mostly the Hulk's tantrums erupt from trying to get people to back off. If he can stomp his feet and roar, and you leave, he's not going to pursue you unless you were just being a major a-hole to him or someone he likes.

A Hulk tv show would never work either, the budget wouldn't just wouldn't support it. Really it'd be a disservice to the character, trying to tone him tone like that.

I agree completely. I loved the Bixby series, but there's no way they can go back to Hulk beating up con-artists every week. But I don't see a tv budget giving the character due justice either. Plus, since it won't be in the same universe as the movies, but use the Ruffalo model, it would make things confusing for those not in the know.

Mostly the Hulk's tantrums erupt from trying to get people to back off. If he can stomp his feet and roar, and you leave, he's not going to pursue you unless you were just being a major a-hole to him or someone he likes.

Exactly.

You've all heard it, Hulk truly just wants to be left alone, but when push comes to shove, he has no problem pushing back harder, his anger and ego not helping to diffuse a fight. But he does not go out looking for a fight and he at times has given an opponent a chance to leave him alone.

On another note, with the success of the movies and animation shows recently, I don't think Marvel Entertainment will put out a half-ass television show. With shows being what they are today, we can count on sophistication. Del Toro and Eick will work wonders, IMO.

Last edited:
Exactly.

You've all heard it, Hulk truly just wants to be left alone, but when push comes to shove, he has no problem pushing back harder, his anger and ego not helping to diffuse a fight. But he does not go out looking for a fight and he at times has given an opponent a chance to leave him alone.

With the success of the movies and animation shows recently, I don't think Marvel Entertainment will put out a half-ass television show. With shows being what they are today, we can count on sophistication. Del Toro and Eick will work wonders, IMO.

Thanks for making sense.:word:

I agree completely. I loved the Bixby series, but there's no way they can go back to Hulk beating up con-artists every week. But I don't see a tv budget giving the character due justice either. Plus, since it won't be in the same universe as the movies, but use the Ruffalo model, it would make things confusing for those not in the know.

I believe they only did that back in the day because they believed the GA wouldn't accept the more fantastical elements of the Hulk comic. Now a days people expect to be WOWed.

Last edited:
Problem for the TV show will be the inevitable 'come down' from the apparent highs of his turn in Avengers.

Smashing huge alien Leviathans, fighting Thor, leaping over NY skycrapers? On a TV budget?

I know Del Toro's great a getting a lot of bang for the bucks he spends but that is obviously not going to happen. So knowing they can't get close with the visual spectacle means they have to nail the characters and story to make the show a success.

Not impossible, but if (as I strongly suspect) they do intend on following old show model of it basically being all about Banner on the run with the Hulk turning up to grunt his way through a couple of action bits for a few minutes each episode, then I can't see it lasting.

Give the Hulk his own character (and therefore more screen time), plots considerably far beyond sorting out some towns crooks for the week, then I'd give it a chance.

Problem for the TV show will be the inevitable 'come down' from the apparent highs of his turn in Avengers.

Smashing huge alien Leviathans, fighting Thor, leaping over NY skycrapers? On a TV budget?

I know Del Toro's great a getting a lot of bang for the bucks he spends but that is obviously not going to happen. So knowing they can't get close with the visual spectacle means they have to nail the characters and story to make the show a success.

Not impossible, but if (as I strongly suspect) they do intend on following old show model of it basically being all about Banner on the run with the Hulk turning up to grunt his way through a couple of action bits for a few minutes each episode, then I can't see it lasting.

Give the Hulk his own character (and therefore more screen time), plots considerably far beyond sorting out some towns crooks for the week, then I'd give it a chance.

I'm sure They'll make it more story oriented then have it build up to a hand full of episodes with intense action. So you would get 12 episodes and 5 episodes would have minor action sequences. Then as the final episodes approach they would through the kitchen sink at the Season Finale.

I still would want a Movie over a TV show.

I believe they only did that back in the day because they believed the GA wouldn't accept the more fantastical elements of the Hulk comic. Now a days people expect to be WOWed.

They did that back in the day because they openly admitted they did not have anything like the money to bring the more fantastical elements of the comic to life (most of each episodes budget went on the Hulks action sequences as they were). They still don't if Smallville's best efforts are anything to go by.

That the Producer was a little too far up his own arse with his obvious scorn for the books didn't help either.

I'm expecting a show that is more character driven, with descent fights, but every now and then an exceptional battle in the vein of Hellboy. It will not be as big as the movie, but I think Disney will have some of the best technology available to bring the best possible show to their ABC owned network. If they think they can capitalize off the success of Hulk in a show after seeing his true appeal in a big screen film, I'm sure they will monetarily back it.

Gamma Burst and I happened to get Del Toro to address his desire for the show on his website, and along with what was said in previous articles; it does not seem as if he's patterning off the old Hulk show at all. He speaks highly of Loeb's, Pak's and David's runs as being inspiration. He also talked about the different incarnations.

I think we'll get the best of the best for television. Del Toro seems truly enthusiastic about making it work.

Last edited:
Budget wise, they may be able to get like a couple eps a season where Hulk is the main character for the entire hour, considering how much money the CG would eat up if he's even on screen for like five minutes.

Budget wise, they may be able to get like a couple eps a season where Hulk is the main character for the entire hour, considering how much money the CG would eat up if he's even on screen for like five minutes.

It won't all be CGI. Del Toro said they'd use prosthetics and animatronics too like he did with HellBoy.

I'm expecting a show that more character driven with descent fights but every now and then an exceptional battle in the vein of Hellboy. It will not to the movie, but I think Disney will have some of the best technology available to bring the best possible show to their ABC owned network. If they think they can capitalize off the success of Hulk in a show, I'm sure they will monetarily back it.

Gamma Burst and I happen to get Del Toro to address his desire for the show on his website and along with what was said in previous articles, It does not seem as if he's patterning off the old Hulk show at all. He speaks highly of Loeb's, Pak's and David's runs as being inspiration. He also talked about the different incarnations.

I think we'll get the best of the best for television. Del Toro seems truly enthusiastic about making it work.

Well, if do they go ahead with it here's hoping Del Toro can and will do the big guy justice. As I said before, a good thing in his record is getting a lot out of the money he spends, so that's not a bad sign.

I just hope they don't start it off well, then get lazy (or too tight with the cash) and hit us with a load of 'filler' episodes like so many other expensive shows do (it's pulling that crap that usually sees them cancelled).

I believe Del Toro will really explore the Horror aspect of Hulk, his Jekyll/Hyde dynamic.
One of the things he mentioned in his early interviews was that he wanted to show not only the amazement in Banner's transformation, but also the 'horror' of it.

A huge part of Hulk's appeal is the sense of spectacle that the character provides. We're not going to get that from a tv show, what we will get is a cheap looking Hulk that's probably mostly obscured in every episode that will most likely fight small time crooks and gamma mutated goons.
After the Avengers it's just a huge step down in quality.

Last edited:
The character, for people with good knowledge about his stories, is much more than battles and 'hulk smash'. Spectacle is only a part of it.

Its also more than the simple "man on the run" theme that they've beaten to death.

Of course. That's what we've seen on TIH, with poor results. And how do you know the new series will be man on the run? Have you already seen it?

They've already mentioned that it would be Banner's early days as Hulk on the run from the world, fairly certain Jeph Loeb mentioned it in an interview??

That's pretty generic. Banner's ,most of his time, on the run. In the few interviews they mentioned Banner is his early days and his relationship with Betty. Also, the horros angle a bit. Del Tor also mentioned he's taking inspiration from a lot of comics, Hulk:Gray, peter David's run, Pak's run, etc.
I'm optimistic, and I'll watch it before I judge it.

I don't think it's going to pan out. So many Guillermo Del Toro projects have withered away and never come into fruition. This feels like one of them.

I don't think it's going to pan out. So many Guillermo Del Toro projects have withered away and never come into fruition. This feels like one of them.
I feel if it ever does come to fruition I really want The Leader to be one of the big bads of the series. I really wanna see a live-action interpretation of him seeing as we won't get him in a TIH sequel.

So glad to hear about the good reviews about Hulk <3.

I loved the Incredible Hulk movie!

They've already mentioned that it would be Banner's early days as Hulk on the run from the world, fairly certain Jeph Loeb mentioned it in an interview??

There was some things Loeb said that threw me off from what we've heard Del Toro state. Del Toro did mention that the identity of Banner being Hulk would not be known at first.

That's pretty generic. Banner's ,most of his time, on the run. In the few interviews they mentioned Banner is his early days and his relationship with Betty. Also, the horros angle a bit. Del Tor also mentioned he's taking inspiration from a lot of comics, Hulk:Gray, peter David's run, Pak's run, etc.
I'm optimistic, and I'll watch it before I judge it.

He said that he wanted to get into the Jekyll and Hyde angle of the character.

The comics have a lot more to draw from as you stated above, than the television show that was much of the inspiration for Hulks two solo movies. It's a good thing they are the source material he's using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"