The Avengers The Official 'Hulk in Avengers' thread. - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulk is basically his defense mechanism. He can control him to an extent when he wants to let him out so he doesn't just run around willy nilly attacking friends, but if it's involuntary that's when we get like the mindless Hulk.

I read somewhere that with Avengers Hulk, Marvel had finally found the right balance; feeding us small bits of Hulk (little screen time), but when he is on screen make him impactful. The trick now is applying this to his solo movie. I think this could work, now that we have an engaging actor as Banner. Like Iron Man 2, which had little screentime of IM actually in action, they managed to pull it off because of RDJ's charisma. I don't believe a Hulk movie actually needs to be saturated with Hulk screentime, so long as there are villans in there that Banner can play off of..i'm sure this will be the case if, and when, the tv show gets started due to budget reasons.

Okay my sister just saw the movie for the first time and she ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! She had a question which i wasn't sure that i had the right answer. She asked how the Bruce all of a sudden was able to control the Hulk at the End of the movie. I told her to watch TIH because in the end it shows Banner being able to control the Hulk after Sterns does his experiment.
So Was i right?

Okay my sister just saw the movie for the first time and she ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! She had a question which i wasn't sure that i had the right answer. She asked how the Bruce all of a sudden was able to control the Hulk at the End of the movie. I told her to watch TIH because in the end it shows Banner being able to control the Hulk after Sterns does his experiment.
So Was i right?

Yes, you were right, going by what Bruce said in The Avengers. He had learned that the key was not avoiding getting angry, but controlling his anger so that the transformation wasn't triggered. He realized that, like every other human being, he has the potential to become enraged at any moment ("I'm always angry") but that he doesn't have to let that emotion overcome him all of the time. It's as if having "The Other Guy" as his alter-ego forced Banner to become a master of anger management.

I think the intent for any next Hulk sequel to the MCU would be to actually establish in a more concrete way on how the Hulk is a different being altogether from Banner, and to especially show Banner and Hulk finally confronting each other on screen like how they're able to in EMH's.

I would think especially that the issue of Hulk wanting to be more out openly and enjoy life for once could be a issue explored as well, and how he doesn't only want to be let out into the world when there's trouble, thus the issue of who gets be "outside" most and when, etc.

Also, I came across this as well:

39252440139127657140435.jpg

Nice poster. Looks great with Japanese writing all over it.

Hulk is basically his defense mechanism. He can control him to an extent when he wants to let him out so he doesn't just run around willy nilly attacking friends, but if it's involuntary that's when we get like the mindless Hulk.

That's right. Paul Jenkins stated the Hulk was Banner's "Self Defense Mechanism Externalized." The Hulk is many things, but a creature solely bent on destruction is not even close. Hulk has his reason's; like any other creature who has any intelligence, for doing the things he does...albeit sometimes the wrong one.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that with Avengers Hulk, Marvel had finally found the right balance; feeding us small bits of Hulk (little screen time), but when he is on screen make him impactful. The trick now is applying this to his solo movie. I think this could work, now that we have an engaging actor as Banner. Like Iron Man 2, which had little screentime of IM actually in action, they managed to pull it off because of RDJ's charisma. I don't believe a Hulk movie actually needs to be saturated with Hulk screentime, so long as there are villans in there that Banner can play off of..i'm sure this will be the case if, and when, the tv show gets started due to budget reasons.

[FONT=&quot]Hulk worked well in the Avengers movie, but if he's to be a successful character in his own movie franchise; he cannot be reduced or limited to being the deus ex machine that he was in the old Bixby Show.

I guess me being an almost 35 year Hulk reader, it is hard for me to grasp what Marvel Studios doesn't understand about their iconic character.

To make a successful Hulk franchise, limiting his time on the screen and making it a great big impact when he does, is not the answer. Understanding that Hulk is as much a character that needs to be as well written and multi-layered as Bruce Banner was in the Avengers…IS!!! Hulk is a character and there is 50 years of story to research from; some better than others. Getting the correct personality and syntax for the Hulk would be a start. Hulk’s syntax is a big part of what makes his character stand out from the crowd. Like Jekyll is to Hyde, Banner should be to Hulk.

As I re-watch both of the Hulk films, my mind can't help but place in the missing dialogue that I feel Hulk should have said to his opponents.
[/FONT]
The new television show should be able to get a lot of things right...

I think the intent for any next Hulk sequel to the MCU would be to actually establish in a more concrete way on how the Hulk is a different being altogether from Banner, and to especially show Banner and Hulk finally confronting each other on screen like how they're able to in EMH's.

[FONT=&quot]I agree, they just don't have to beat it in everyone's head at the expence of action and a moving story.[/FONT]

I would think especially that the issue of Hulk wanting to be more out openly and enjoy life for once could be a issue explored as well, and how he doesn't only want to be let out into the world when there's trouble, thus the issue of who gets be "outside" most and when, etc.

[FONT=&quot]Cool..thus a way that the Banner and Hulk conflict is easily resolved...and continued.[/FONT]

Also, I came across this as well:

39252440139127657140435.jpg

Nice!!!

I know I'm late to the party, but Hulk was the man in the Avengers. Now I'm a bigger fan than I already was.

I wondering if Marvel is also considering re-casting Betty, as alot of us here are speculating/hoping for ....

I found it weird that every one of the Avengers love interest was mentioned except Betty for Banner; they showed Jane for Thor, a shot of Peggy for Cap, Stark had Pepper, and BW and Hawkeye had..each other. Yet not so much as a mention of Betty by name...:confused: I found this strange.

Probably because Marvel didn't want to tie themselves too closely to the least successful prior movie. I half suspect they won't even use Betty in the likely TIH2.

She's really not essential to every Hulk story. Hopefully they will do something new next time they use him.

She's really not essential to every Hulk story. Hopefully they will do something new next time they use him.
I think she is essential for Bruce though, although I think they should at least give her less time in another movie. At least mention her in it.

I'd say the best Hulk stories are the ones that don't feature Betty as a love interest. Bruce has been married three times, and his other loves were more meaningful than the on again-off again thing with Betty.

I'd say the best Hulk stories are the ones that don't feature Betty as a love interest. Bruce has been married three times, and his other loves were more meaningful than the on again-off again thing with Betty.

I didn't even know that the guy was married once, let alone that he had any love interests outside of Betty? Who were they if I might ask? (Sorry, I'm not as familiar with his history)

I didn't even know that the guy was married once, let alone that he had any love interests outside of Betty? Who were they if I might ask? (Sorry, I'm not as familiar with his history)

He was married to princess Jarella when he was trapped in the microverse, she was a green skinned ruler of the sub-atomic world of K'ai and was one of the few people who saw Bruce/Hulk as a force for good. She eventually returned to earth with him but was killed saving a child from a falling building.

More recently during the Planet Hulk story, He eventually fell in love with a powerful warrior named Caiera who was a member of the Shadow people of Sakaar,who had the power to essentially Earth-bend. They started off as enemies but after seeing the Hulk go out of his way to save innocents she defected to his side against the planet's Red King, and after the Hulk dethroned the Red king and was elected as the new ruler he chose to take Caiera as his wife. She was killed by a nuclear explosion caused by a turn-cloak trying to provoke Hulk into waging war against Earth. However Caiera was pregnant with twin son's who both survived their mothers death due to their Hulk genetics.

He's also had some various girlfriends here and there, but those two are the considered to be the biggest loves of his life, and the greatest tragedies of his life.

He was married to princess Jarella when he was trapped in the microverse, she was a green skinned ruler of the sub-atomic world of K'ai and was one of the few people who saw Bruce/Hulk as a force for good. She eventually returned to earth with him but was killed saving a child from a falling building.

More recently during the Planet Hulk story, He eventually fell in love with a powerful warrior named Caiera who was a member of the Shadow people of Sakaar,who had the power to essentially Earth-bend. They started off as enemies but after seeing the Hulk go out of his way to save innocents she defected to his side against the planet's Red King, and after the Hulk dethroned the Red king and was elected as the new ruler he chose to take Caiera as his wife. She was killed by a nuclear explosion caused by a turn-cloak trying to provoke Hulk into waging war against Earth. However Caiera was pregnant with twin son's who both survived their mothers death due to their Hulk genetics.

He's also had some various girlfriends here and there, but those two are the considered to be the biggest loves of his life, and the greatest tragedies of his life.

damn; sounds intense. Curious, were these women married/attached to the Hulk Persona or to the Banner persona? Sorry for asking, and thanks for responding.

Hey no problem :up:

Jarella loved them both equally, while i think Caiera was mostly in love with Hulk, but also there was a scene in that storyline where he revealed Banner to her and she accepted him as well.

Jarella loved them both equally, while i think Caiera was mostly in love with Hulk, but also there was a scene in that storyline where he revealed Banner to her and she accepted him as well.

Damn;lol And I thought the Hulk was a loner but the guy gets around.lol

If they want to abandon betty ross altogether and further capitalize on the cosmic side of the MCU, that would really open the doors for these characters to be introduced and add yet another fascinating layer to the character for the GA to see.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain these things.

And let's not forget Mariette Hartley, the Bride of the Incredible Hulk, who had those freakout headaches and did a runner in the rain on the way to the hospital before she died. Banner was having those nightmares about her leaving him all alone while being whisked off in a coach by the grim reaper, causing him to change into the Hulk in his sleep.

And let's not forget Mariette Hartley, the Bride of the Incredible Hulk, who had those freakout headaches and did a runner in the rain on the way to the hospital before she died. Banner was having those nightmares about her leaving him all alone while being whisked off in a coach by the grim reaper, causing him to change into the Hulk in his sleep.

Great ep all around.

Favotrie Banner lines from Avengers:

"What does Fury want me to do, swallow it?"

"Oh, those i actively avoid!" - in response to BW telling him about the cube crisis.

"Well, this all seems......horrible." arriving at the final battle on a bike.

Excellent post.

One of his best known girlfriends worked for S.H.I.E.L.D Dr. Kate Waynesboro who was sent in to spy on him, but truly fell in love with him.

Caiera loved Bruce as much as Hulk and didn't see a difference between the two. Remember that scene from Planet Hulk wherein she tells Hulk that she wants to see all of him, before he changed into Banner and she kissed him?

I know you have Oberon, but I thought most of the posters read at least Planet Hulk and World War Hulk...

I see it's the same problem the movies have been having...not knowing the basic Hulk mythos. No wonder the ideas of Hulk from most are nothing like the character I support.

Last edited:
One of his best known girlfriends worked for S.H.I.E.L.D Dr. Kate Waynesboro who was sent in to spy on him, but truly fell in love with him.

She seems like a character who could've been in the TV series in a guest role. I'm trying to think of a 70s actress who could've played her.

Dark Raven, I hope that the Del Toro show will be a success, as I agree Kate would be a cool addition and an antagonist for Bruce's and Betty's relationship.

I love drama.

Dark Raven, I hope that the Del Toro show will be a success, as I agree Kate would be a cool addition and an antagonist for Bruce's and Betty's relationship.

I love drama.

I meant that she could've been in the Bill Bixby series. She would still work in the new one, but she seems like a typical guest star from the 70s series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"