Spider-Man The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - - - - Part 13

Wright has superb taste and is totally correct.

Neither Venom has been very good looks wise, though they both have some good stuff.

In Spidey 3 he was too slim for my liking, now in this Venom movie he's way too big. For me, Venom is considerably bulkier than Spidey, but he shouldn't be a towering giant.

svv.jpg

I like this look too. Bagley is one of my faves. To me this isn't ridiculously big. He is tall, but his arms are only a couple sizes bigger. He still has a lean look to him. It is that crappy giant Hulk Juggernaut look I hate on Venom. In my opinion he should be whatever size you are drawing Brock as. The Symbiote adding so much muscle is silly to me. Ultimate Spider-Man worked for me a little bit because of how monstrous and crazy he looked, but he still was way too big. As soon as the mask peels back he looks ridiculous with a tiny head. The new movie is especially bad looking when it comes to his tiny Brock head.

I think Raimi was a mix of Bagley (mostly the face) and Romita's, which I also like.

RomitaVenomJJJ.png

I actually love everything about the Venom look in SM3. The only thing I would change is make his jaw longer, more like in the comics or TAS.

I actually liked the Editor's Cut of the movie quite a bit.
Yeah, I actually enjoyed it! There were a few things I would have left in from the original cut (such as a few pieces of music), but overall, I thought it was an improvement.

I was hoping to see some additional cut scenes: Venom in the mirror, Sandman visiting the doctor, the alternate end fight with Gwen and Sandman's daughter, etc. At the very least, I wish they included them as separate deleted scenes.

Best change in the Editor's Cut....NO BUTLER COMES CLEAN GARBAGE!!!!

Haha yes!

I was happy we got that shot of black suited spidey swinging mid-air. I feel like we barely had shots like that originally.

I actually like it, but still wonder why he knew this much about the glider, or why the surfboard glider has blades too.

The funny thing is that after Spider-Man 3 I was fed up with Raimi's vision. I was disappointed with a lot of things and when the reboot was announced I was thankful because I hoped we would get someone who understands Spidey like Nolan understood Batman to make these movies.

But after getting The Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 and Homecoming, looking back to Raimi's SM1 & 2 NOW, my god, do they seem like masterpieces!!! I just watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 yesterday and after seeing the newer movies, it made me appreciate the first two even more, even though they are far from perfect with obvious flaws.

Does anyone else feel the same?

I was just thinking how the Stan Lee cameo is now so associated with Marvel Studios but it started 6 years earlier in the Raimi films

10-1067491.jpg

I was just thinking how the Stan Lee cameo is now so associated with Marvel Studios but it started 6 years earlier in the Raimi films

10-1067491.jpg

He cameo'd in the first X-Men before that. But Raimi's Spidey may have been his first speaking line.

On another note, his cameo in Spider-Man 3 is my favortie Stan Lee cameo of any Marvel film.

Last edited:
Technically Spider-Man 2 was a speaking cameo. You hear him say "Look out" when he pulls the woman out of the way of the falling debris. But I'm pretty sure he had a speaking cameo in Hulk 2003.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that after Spider-Man 3 I was fed up with Raimi's vision. I was disappointed with a lot of things and when the reboot was announced I was thankful because I hoped we would get someone who understands Spidey like Nolan understood Batman to make these movies.

I truly feel like nobody quite got the appeal of Spidey and translated it to the screen the way Raimi did.

All the other movies had various trappings (mystery of the parents, high tech suit/Avengers), which while appropriate to add new flavours, takes away from the basic essence of the character for me.

I loved Raimi and his 60's/Ditko/Romita vibes. I would have gladly taken a fourth and fifth film from him.

I truly feel like nobody quite got the appeal of Spidey and translated it to the screen the way Raimi did.

All the other movies had various trappings (mystery of the parents, high tech suit/Avengers), which while appropriate to add new flavours, takes away from the basic essence of the character for me.

I loved Raimi and his 60's/Ditko/Romita vibes. I would have gladly taken a fourth and fifth film from him.

I fully agree! Apart from maybe the suit thing in Homecoming... I really don't think it's one of the movie's major issues.

Spider-Man 3 Editor's Cut is one of my favourite things. I wanted 3.1 so bad I launched a petition and all sorts of stuff in 2014. So glad to have gotten it in some form. While there is still a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor, seeing the sandcastle sequence alone was satisfying. Really cool to hear the alternate score as well.

But after getting The Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 and Homecoming, looking back to Raimi's SM1 & 2 NOW, my god, do they seem like masterpieces!!! I just watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 yesterday and after seeing the newer movies, it made me appreciate the first two even more, even though they are far from perfect with obvious flaws.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Nah I was so, so gutted when Spider-Man 4 was cancelled. There were signs leading up to it, and ultimately Sony weren't going to let Raimi do what he wanted, so I guess better nothing than a disaster.

It started my utter disdain for Sony as a studio though. The way they interfered in SM3, how they were rebooting the franchise during SM4's production, the immediate lazy reboot (which to be fair to Webb, isn't bad), and then the horrific franchise plans that sunk ASM2 and everything around it. What they did to Ghostbusters was even worse haha.

If Sony had waited it out with Raimi or at least Toby, until they got the deal to loan spider-man to the MCU that would have been amazing

maxresdefault.jpg

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Sony didn't reboot the first time. Spider-Man 4 would have been coming out around when the first Thor and Captain America movies were coming out and they could have slid the Raimi movies into continuity at that early stage, but nobody knew how big the MCU was going to become. TASM flew through the breeze like a turd in the wind (ok it's a fine, forgettable movie) 2 months after The Avengers dominated.

Didn't it come out there somewhere that the idea of saying Tobey Spidey was out there all those years tossed around internally at the time or am I imagining it?

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Sony didn't reboot the first time. Spider-Man 4 would have been coming out around when the first Thor and Captain America movies were coming out and they could have slid the Raimi movies into continuity at that early stage, but nobody knew how big the MCU was going to become. TASM flew through the breeze like a turd in the wind (ok it's a fine, forgettable movie) 2 months after The Avengers dominated.

Didn't it come out there somewhere that the idea of saying Tobey Spidey was out there all those years tossed around internally at the time or am I imagining it?

Not Tobey specifically but yeah Spider-Man was supposedly somewhat already established during the events of the Avengers. So Tobey could have indeed slid-in there afterwards.

Let's be honest too even with the MCU connection Homecoming didn't reach the BO heights of the Raimi films. A post MCU Tobey SM film would have done probably even better.

If Sony had waited it out with Raimi or at least Toby, until they got the deal to loan spider-man to the MCU that would have been amazing

maxresdefault.jpg

Downey and Maguire are good friends in real life. They're Iron Man and Spider-Man would have been great together.
1996_original-wonderboys.png

I would've preferred a Spider-Man younger than the Avengers myself. I don't have anything really against Tobey's version, but as an actor he's older than I'd like.

Totally agree, when Spider-Man 4 was cancelled and Raimi left, I was devastated. I tried to remain positive throughout the ‘Amazing’ movies, but it just wasn’t the same. No Spidey movie has been able to emulate how epic and amazing Spider-Man is since IMO. Hopefully Far From Home is great.

I love these movies, they are the some of the best superhero movies ever made. I don't get the hate that Spider-Man 3 gets honestly. And in fact, I don't see a thing wrong with them and in my opinion Tobey is the best Spider-Man.

Once I let go of my disappointment for Spider-Man 3, I think I started to enjoy it a lot more. Most of my "hatred" at the time was due to how much the movie did not turn out the way I wanted it to.

Once I let go of my disappointment for Spider-Man 3, I think I started to enjoy it a lot more. Most of my "hatred" at the time was due to how much the movie did not turn out the way I wanted it to.

I think that's why generally people think it's worse than it actually is, some never let go of the big expectations it didn't live up to, and others just accept what people tell them about the movie being the worst thing ever. When really, it's a fine movie. It's a little sloppy but it has a clear beginning, middle, and end, and has meaningful arcs for all the main characters, clear themes, and maintains Raimi's sensibilities the best it can. It's an actual movie, unlike TASM2 which is just a big mission statement.

Studio ADI posted some previously unreleased Green Goblin mask designs.

[YT]K9iZHkEr830[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"