The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

That might have been in the animated movie, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the comic.

2. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Yeah, and I think it was the one thing the animated movie did well.

3. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

Lex has a number of complex's [is that how you say it? lol]

The defence mechanism kicks in, he has a superiority complex. He needs to prove it constantly, because he does feel inferior to Superman. Otherwise he wouldn't keep trying and would be content with life.

He also has the edifice complex, like many rich people. The need to create buildings that suit is own taste in architecture, that makes him feel empowered.

He feels the need to leave his mark on the world, a huge one at that. Perhaps because he felt inferior in his youth?

And finally, how about Karl Urban as Lex? :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  4. Rust

Rust First Son Of Yesterday

Urban's great, but I dont think he has the class or the weight to pull it off.

Could be wrong though...

5. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

Looking at him from his Xena days as Ceaser, I think he could do it :)

6. Rust

Rust First Son Of Yesterday

He was pretty solid in Riddick. At least appearance-wise.

7. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Yeah, I do kinda like the notion of Luthor succeeding in "killing" Superman after finally being able to see the world the way Superman sees it, only to have that be the push that allowed him to finally let go of his hatred, regret his actions and want to atone...as he awaits his death sentence.

8. ThePowerCosmic

I've never thought of Lex as feeling inferior to Superman. I guess it's all perspective. I think he needs to prove it constantly because he feels superior, and he wants everyone to know he is, including Superman.

9. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

But the fact he keeps trying to prove he's superior to Superman, is because, deep down, he's feeling inferior.

I study psychology, I know what I'm talking about ;)

10. ThePowerCosmic

Right, but that's never really been explained in the comics. I've always seen Lex portrayed as a man who believes himself to be superior to those around him, including Superman. Unless I can see something that says otherwise, I'll have to respectfully disagree.

11. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

A man like Lex is too smug to admit anything like that to himself. His actions are combined of those that seek to maintain their superiority, and terminate those that put their superiority in jeopardy. Lex feels superior to everyone else, but inferior to Superman, hence Lex trying to sort that out by seeking to destroy and surpass him in any way he can. It's not just a common battle Lex has going on with Superman, it's something deeper to him.

12. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

Personally, I see it as a combination of his own inferiority and his genuine belief that Superman poses a threat to society, I posted about it in the Man of Steel sequel section, I'll have to find those posts.

EDIT- Yeah, these were two of my posts that are about Superman 2, and Lex Luthor:

Since he wouldn't be the main villain in Superman 2, he would be in the third instalment and my hypothetical plot would revolve largely around All-Star Superman.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  13. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

Perhaps Lex is just having the concern against Superman in his head, to hide the fact he hates him out of jealousy.

People out there use excuses all the time to hate someone, and the excuse they use blinds them to what the real reason is to why they hate that person in the first place.

So Lex's hatred towards Superman stems from him [Superman] making Lex feel inferior, but he uses the excuse that Superman is a threat to hide it. Perhaps even to himself? Because is obsessed with destroying Superman, the thing that's making him feel inferior. But in his mind, he won't allow him to think he's inferior. So as a defence mechanism in his already complicated mind, he uses another excuse to hate Superman.

14. Llama_Shepherd

I do mention that he is driven from jealousy. But it is imperative that he truly believes Superman is a threat. He must think he is Earth's saviour.

15. Rodrigo90

Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

It does fit in with his twisted mindset.

16. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have thought of Jon Hamm for Luthor until I saw him playing him in a Funny or Die video. Now all I can think is he should be Luthor in the next movie.

17. N0v1K

N0v1K New Member

its been a while sence i posted here, my account got deleted i guess.
    i totaly agree! superman needs a real world endangering villian, one who can beat him into the ground, see him at his lowest point, were it looks like he cant win. maby end the trilogy with lex finaly showing up and becoming president or somthing to show suppermans story continues in your own imagination. lex is great but after somany movies we need Darksied or Doomsday, we need a TF3 type battle! total distruction.

18. Roose Bolton

Lex Luthor drinking the 24 hour Superman-serum whilst Clark is dying of Solar radiation overdose.

Lex can beat the **** out of Supes across all of metropolis while the world looks on in horror.

19. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Remember when JJ Abrams had the audacity to put a superpowered Lex Luthor into his SUPERMAN script, and fanboys threw fits?

20. Jake Cassidy

Jake Cassidy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Lex Kryptonian in that?

21. ThePowerCosmic

I'd rather not see another villain with the same abilities as Superman. We'll have already gotten that in the first movie with Zod and Faora.

22. Roose Bolton

But Zod and Faora aren't fighting a powerless Superman in a cat and mouse situation are they? :cwink:

Superman wielding a gravity gun would also sweeten the deal.

23. ThePowerCosmic

It would be interesting to see how Lex's perception of everything changes once he has Superman's abilities. However, if it's a choice between the battlesuit and him gaining powers, I'm going with the battlesuit.

24. Llama_Shepherd

I'd rather see the serum, I want the beating he gives Superman to be truly intimate and actually, downright terrifying, I want to see him literally driven mad by the power. It would be more powerful in my opinion, if it looks like Lex has no advantages over Superman, then seeing him standing atop his body, with the men, women and children of Metropolis watching on as Luthor is pummelling him into oblivion.

25. ThePowerCosmic

I'd rather see Lex use his man-made technology to take down Superman. To see Lex triumph over Superman, proclaiming that he was beaten by a mere man like in the DC Universe cinematic vid. There's no reason he still can't be downright terrifying, which I'm sure he would be in that case.

[YT]WCUTX80pqus[/YT]

[YT]H7Nf-m6WGl4[/YT]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.