The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leo, Affleck, day-Lewis, Bean, Pine. There are lots of good choices out there. we've discussed them all over the last two years. We may get a surprise but I think all we'll see of Lex this go around is the back of his head.

Leo or Affleck would be good. Day-Lewis and Bean are way too old in my opinion. Pine is charismatic and all, but at best, he just plays different versions of himself. I want an actor who disappears into the role of Lex.

Children of Men, Closer, The Bourne Identity, Inside Man, Sin City, Shoot 'Em Up, King Arthur, Gosford Park.

I like Clive as an actor, but there are still certain types of roles that I think he's wrong for - Bond and Lex being two of 'em.

That's fair enough :) Was just curious if your differing opinions were because of having seen him in different films or just a matter of taste.

But then again, you like Pearce... so we're clearly just on a different page here :p :hehe:

I don't think being smarmy is bad thing in all cases. I'd definitely say RDJ fits that description a lot of the time and It works for him.

I wouldn't call RDJ smarmy.

Smarmy is when you're really nice to people, but in a slimey, snakey way, and by sucking up to them and wheedling and stuff.

That's not Lex IMO. Of course his charm is fake, but he doesn't win people over by false flattery and slimey comments. He wins people over with his gravitas, his cool and calm persona, and his unshaking commitment to the role - when he lies, it sounds like the truth.

If an actor comes across smarmy (at least to me) everything they say is going to sound obviously fake and slimey :(

There are lots of good choices out there. we've discussed them all over the last two years. We may get a surprise but I think all we'll see of Lex this go around is the back of his head.

I'm really looking forward to it. It's the most exciting thing about the sequel for me :D

Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Hair today, gone tomorrow by the looks of it lol
jonathan_rhys_meyers.jpg

Last edited:
Would be interesting. But he's got such a baby face IMO.
even with that he has come across as chilling especially on tudors

lets not forget him and cavill epic arm wrestling:yay:
[YT]t8-4R49XB2E[/YT]
he has those crazy eyes lol

Yeah that's why I said it'd be interesting, and didn't immediately dismiss him. I do think he's a great actor, and makes a great villain.

It's just a personal preference that they are closer to 40 in age.

He's got a good look for somebody like Lex.
We've seen on The Tudors his false heroism and villainy. He has a chilling presence and we've seen how he can dominate an entire room through fear. How he seduces women with words rather than his title.

JRM is a good solid candidate imo.

He'll be 38 for MOS2 :p

just wish he got better film roles his tv work gets him more acclaim like tudors and elvis presley biopic which got him a golden globe

He could audition though. The role of Lex seems right up his street.

Cavill and Shannon were mostly TV.

I think Jon Hamm would be a great match for Lex. Even though I want him for Batman too

He's got a good look for somebody like Lex.
We've seen on The Tudors his false heroism and villainy. He has a chilling presence and we've seen how he can dominate an entire room through fear. How he seduces women with words rather than his title.

JRM is a good solid candidate imo.

He'll be 38 for MOS2 :p

Alright fine, you're winning me over :oldrazz:

Damian Lewis, Matthew McConaughey and Joaquin Phoenix are great choices. Agreed with regards to McConaughey's strong accent though. Mind you he does look the part.

Also seeing that pic of Daniel Craig I just couldn't help but chuckle. Not that he'd be a bad choice - I think he would be brilliant actually but I don't we'll ever see that happen. And ironic to say too that his voice even reminds me of Clancy Brown's portrayal on STAS.

And while I'm sure he's been considered I'd like to put his name in the hat once more - Paul Bettany?

large_image-1.jpg

Damian Lewis, Matthew McConaughey and Joaquin Phoenix are great choices. Agreed with regards to McConaughey's strong accent though. Mind you he does look the part.

Also seeing that pic of Daniel Craig I just couldn't help but chuckle. Not that he'd be a bad choice - I think he would be brilliant actually but I don't we'll ever see that happen. And ironic to say too that his voice even reminds me of Clancy Brown's portrayal on STAS.

And while I'm sure he's been considered I'd like to put his name in the hat once more - Paul Bettany?

large_image1.jpg

Yes! Bettany would be great! Has he ever done an American accent though? Still, my top choices now are Paul Bettany and Damien Lewis. I think both of them could most definitely bring out that cunning manipulative business magnate amazingly.

I just heard of the Bradley Cooper angle and personally I think that is a great idea. It's significantly different from all of the Lex Luthor's in the past. And I don't even think he needs to be bald. There are already incarnations where he has hair, I think this could be one of them.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Hair today, gone tomorrow by the looks of it lol

Most hairlines recede at some point. That doesn't always mean complete hair loss is imminent though. It depends mostly on your genes and a few other factors. That said, Rhys still has a full head of hair. I could see him playing Luthor. He's got a certain dark quality about him and would bring a interesting take to the character. If he's not interested in shaving his head, a good bald cap would probably work.

saw im3 god damn such a damn shame marvel stole guy pearce he was amazing in im3

People can say what they will about Smallville (the defunct TV series), but Mike Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex was the best I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"