The Official Metal Gear Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That face at the end. :funny:

8KW6o7l.jpg

The "mummy" is ostensibly Joakim Mogren, CEO of Moby Dick Studios, which may or may not exist. They're said to be developing a game called The Phantom Pain, that may or may not be a new Metal Gear.

As a MG fan I'm intrigued and confused.

As a right minded human being, I'm confused and scared :o

Full-on conspiracy theory mode engaged: In a recent interview for Rising, Kojima was asked if he'd let a Western developer make a MG game, and gave a vague answer. Maybe because he's already working with one...?

I've got another conspiracy theory. Moby Dick Studios is supposed to be based Sweden. Yesterday on the Gametrailers website they put up an image promoting their interview Joakim Mogren, except they misspelled the last name Mogrin. They never bothered to fix it. Grin was a Swedish game studio that got shut down a couple years ago. My theory: Moby Dick Studios is real and it's made up by former Grin developers.

I've yet to see the interview, and I don't know if my mind is ready for the implosion that will occur with watching it.

Btw, word is that the demo at GDC being presented by Kojima will be live streamed when it happens. So, we need to keep on the look out for that when it happens.

EDIT: Okay, I watched the interview. Goddamn was that weird. I kinda felt bad for Geoff, because until the "FOX Engine" thing...it seemed like he had completely wasted his time.

I guess it's basically confirmed, though, though the "can't confirm" comment that it's going to be a Next Gen game, and not current. I mean, if we read between the lines.

Last edited:
I wouldn't feel bad for Geoff Keighley, he's as in on it as Kojima himself, no doubt.

Yeah. Keighley and Kojima are friends. He's almost certainly in on the joke.

Could be Swedish Composer Ludwig, who was listed in the GZ trailer I believe. But then again. just speculation and probably irrelevant.

If GZ is NG, that's kind of dissapointing that we only got one MGS game for this generation of consoles. (Rising isn't MGS and it's not of any importance to the snake family mythology IMO).

GZ has been shown to run on both 7th and 8th gen consoles. I assume it will be released during the early transitional period between consoles.

If GZ is NG, that's kind of dissapointing that we only got one MGS game for this generation of consoles. (Rising isn't MGS and it's not of any importance to the snake family mythology IMO).

So you don't count Peace Walker? I know it was originally PSP but it's still a game about Big Boss that's playable for this generation.

So you don't count Peace Walker? I know it was originally PSP but it's still a game about Big Boss that's playable for this generation.
by mentioning consoles, Im almost sure he meant home consoles. Peace Walker was only a portable title that got later ported to those

Wow, I really should have learned my lesson by now that you dont start playing a MGS game if you have somewhere to be in an hour

by mentioning consoles, Im almost sure he meant home consoles. Peace Walker was only a portable title that got later ported to those

Eh, for me I dont give a **** that it doesn't originate on the PS3 or 360 or that it's graphics aren't up there. It's a canon "snake" game that I can play on my home console with the HD collection.

Also the whole idea that only the Snakes count is stupid. Kojima has stated that he plans to do a numbered MGS game with the Boss as the protagonist during WW2, so clearly he doesn't see it that way.

As a franchise the series has to move past David Hayter's characters and actually explore the universe Kojima created.

Eh, for me I dont give a **** that it doesn't originate on the PS3 or 360 or that it's graphics aren't up there. It's a canon "snake" game that I can play on my home console with the HD collection.

Also the whole idea that only the Snakes count is stupid. Kojima has stated that he plans to do a numbered MGS game with the Boss as the protagonist during WW2, so clearly he doesn't see it that way.

As a franchise the series has to move past David Hayter's characters and actually explore the universe Kojima created.
No one is saying it isnt canon bc it was a PSP title. I think you are missing the point. As a portable title, it was downscaled experience. I could be wrong but I think what he meant that there wasnt another big console release in the series. After MGS4, 5 years ago, they left the home consoles and there wont be one again GZ is released whenever that happens.

And MGR isnt MGS as he said. The gameplay went in a completely different direction and while canon to the series, its also its own thing. I can see why he wouldnt count that as the next game in the MGS series, primarily for the new gameplay system. Its not the tactical espionage action from before.

As far as exploring the universe Kojima created, well that universe IS about the Snake characters. Everything he's done from the very beginning has revolved around their saga and he's never strayed from that. He explores that universe in each game he features them and adds new insight and layers to the overall story

Metal Gear needs to move past Solid Snake and Big Boss without further prequels. I don't care if they make a clone of Solid Snake or a completely new protagonist, but Metal Gear has to move forward with new characters.

Metal Gear needs to move past Solid Snake and Big Boss without further prequels. I don't care if they make a clone of Solid Snake or a completely new protagonist, but Metal Gear has to move forward with new characters.

I disagree with that. I really dont think this series needs to move any further away from them that it already has. If they wanna do that, then just create a new IP.

I really don't mind the series moving on with another main protagonist. The world Kojima created is bigger than any of the Snakes. He obviously tried it with MGS2. The mistake was creating Raiden as the replacement. I really wouldn't mind if they take a page from Resident Evil, and introduce new main characters with future sequels. Heck, I think I'd like to play as a badass woman at some point.

I like Snake, but he doesn't have to be the only hero. And he's obviously already way past his prime.

I really don't mind the series moving on with another main protagonist. The world Kojima created is bigger than any of the Snakes. He obviously tried it with MGS2. The mistake was creating Raiden as the replacement. I really wouldn't mind if they take a page from Resident Evil, and introduce new main characters with future sequels. Heck, I think I'd like to play as a badass woman at some point.

I like Snake, but he doesn't have to be the only hero. And he's obviously already way past his prime.

That's a pretty brilliant idea. The way Capcom handles Resident Evil protagonists, having a fairly large stable of likable characters that they can rotate in and out of the series, is pretty close to ideal I think. That style would fit Metal Gear beautifully as well. If only Metal Gear fans didn't have such a limited view of the series, and realize that it's bigger than any single character.

Which I find sort of funny seeing as "change" and "advancement" are two of the biggest themes in the whole series. :funny:

I still support the idea of a reboot of the series which also serves a dual purpose of remaking MG1 and 2, adapting the story to more modern times, expanding upon some of the more minor forgotten characters and taking advantage of the advances in technology which were not possible in the 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"