Days of Future Past The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Hoult looks like a younger James Marsden but he was brilliant as was every one else.

Kelsey Grammer's entire head from the neck up was covered in prosthetics, much more than just blue paint, from the looks just as much as this Beast was. At least KG's speaking was not restricted, something a few of you claim with this version, which I do not agree with. And I do not think there was any digital alterations to the mouth when he growled, he can open his mouth with appliances on.

You may not think it is but watch it again. There is definitely some CGI at play.

I can't wait until the blu ray comes out and I hope they do a somewhat in depth behind the scenes on how they made Beast come to life in First Class.

Definitely recommend for you to re watch the film and take a closer look at the facial movements when he chokes Magneto and dose the wide mouth yell inside the X-Wing.

There are instances in where he is "normally" talking and they leave it be and you see the constrictions of the make up and prosthetics. By the way Grammers weren't nearly as extensive as those that Hoult is sporting.

Both look like Beast and I'm grateful we've gotten both Humanoid and Kitty/Bear beast.

you do realize that the Jim Lee Beast illo is the same Beast as seen in the cartoon frame above it - now you need to find an example of the Cat Beast.

you do realize that the Jim Lee Beast illo is the same Beast as seen in the cartoon frame above it - now you need to find an example of the Cat Beast.

I realize that it's an adaptation which completely looks different from the Jim Lee's illustrations. You're the one that needs to pay attention, the Beast drawn by Jim is far more cat and animal like than 90's toon version which humanized his face for kids and changed the hairstyle as well.

The fact that you consider it a direct adaptation is showing your lack in observation.

You may not think it is but watch it again. There is definitely some CGI at play.

I can't wait until the blu ray comes out and I hope they do a somewhat in depth behind the scenes on how they made Beast come to life in First Class.

Definitely recommend for you to re watch the film and take a closer look at the facial movements when he chokes Magneto and dose the wide mouth yell inside the X-Wing.

There are instances in where he is "normally" talking and they leave it be and you see the constrictions of the make up and prosthetics. By the way Grammers weren't nearly as extensive as those that Hoult is sporting.

I am sure they could have enhanced it a little with CGI, but it just looked like they told him to open his mouth wider to me. Grammer's appliances do not look as thick at Hoult's, but they covered the same areas - neck, head, forehead, entire face, nose, lips, etc. - look at a photo of Grammer in and out of make-up, maybe his lower lip is not covered, but that's it.

By the way Jim Lee vs 90's animated, you're going to really tell me these two are the same? :funny:

beast.gif

xmen5-3.jpg

An adaptation and based on the Jim Lee designs, most definitely. If they look anything alike, not at all.

Hoult's Beast resembles Lee's far more. Grammer's Beast was a clear ode to humanoid beast and there's no doubt there.

I realize that it's an adaptation which completely looks different from the Jim Lee's illustrations. You're the one that needs to pay attention, the Beast drawn by Jim is far more cat and animal like than 90's toon version which humanized his face for kids and changed the hairstyle as well.

The fact that you consider it a direct adaptation is showing your lack in observation.

All I was pointing out is that the Jim Lee Beast shown was drawn YEARS before the cat mutation concept was introduced into the comics, and that both illos are based upon the SAME version of the Beast, just different artists take on it.

Almost ALL the cat Beast's I have seen in the comics look like crap, and even thought that's what the director wanted for this X-MEN movie, I am happy to see the make-up artist ignored most of that input.

By the way Jim Lee vs 90's animated, you're going to really tell me these two are the same? :funny:

beast.gif

xmen5-3.jpg

An adaptation and based on the Jim Lee designs, most definitely. If they look anything alike, not at all.

Hoult's Beast resembles Lee's far more. Grammer's Beast was a clear ode to humanoid beast and there's no doubt there.

YES, those are clearly meant to be the same version, just two different artists take on the character, one influenced by the extreme limitations of the cartoon medium, the other is not. Same nose, same hair, same big upper lip, same mutton chops, etc.

I am sure they could have enhanced it a little with CGI, but it just looked like they told him to open his mouth wider to me. Grammer's appliances do not look as thick at Hoult's, but they covered the same areas - neck, head, forehead, entire face, nose, lips, etc. - look at a photo of Grammer in and out of make-up, maybe his lower lip is not covered, but that's it.

You just pointed out the difference why it would be harder for Hoult to emulate...

Especially in the mouth area. This isn't even debatable. There's a complete heavy layer of skin mesh creating a full lip area with a division between his bottom nasal area to create the "cat" look and even gives him the underlip of a cat including the atypical second look of a felines lower lip. That's not even touching the work they did near the eye area to further enhance the look.

This would most definitely cause for complications in talking. It looked great nonetheless and I'm sure it'll be streamlined in the sequels but going back to Grammer he had a much easier setup to work with when talking in Last Stand.

Also just because they covered the same area doesn't mean its as intricate/complex, not in the slightest.

(for reference)
X-Men-First-Class-Beast.jpg

x-men_3_beast_2.jpg

I think the teeth probably gave him for talking trouble than the thickness shown above on the Prosthetics - it would have to be as thick as the original Planet of the Apes to have caused any real problems. The inner eye corners were a nice touch. Nice job!

Agreed! I'm in no way bashing Grammar's Beast. I thought he did an incredible job, but I lalso thought Beast in First CLass was great. Both are equally as good.

Speaking of "Cat" Beast, if I rmeember correctly, doesn't he look somewhat like that in the comics nows? Or back in the early days of the Astonishing X-Men series.

I don't think its as simple to call XFC's Beast 'Cat-Beast' as to me he does look like classic blue Beast but the more extreme version like Jim Lee's(as mentioned ) and John Byrne's take. It seems like blue Beast was always a mixture of simian and feline/canine traits which makes his mutation more interesting. He looks a bit like a werewolf. The Grant Morrison Cat Beast look nothing like this movies Beast, notably lacking the feline ears which are a big part of a cat, the segmented nose and furry face which like an ape is flesh like.

Yeah ever since his second mutation was triggered he's looked like a feline and has varied in extremity depending on the artist really.

Hoult's Beast is definitely a mixture of both while still keeping some of the simian details while merging it with the cat form. BMM did a good picture example:

beastcomparison2.jpg

I don't think its as simple to call XFC's Beast 'Cat-Beast' as to me he does look like classic blue Beast but the more extreme version like Jim Lee's(as mentioned ) and John Byrne's take. It seems like blue Beast was always a mixture of simian and feline/canine traits which makes his mutation more interesting. He looks a bit like a werewolf. The Grant Morrison Cat Beast look nothing like this movies Beast, notably lacking the feline ears which are a big part of a cat, the segmented nose and furry face which like an ape is flesh like.

Exactly. Its definitely a mixture but the comparison with cat beast ends at the mouth area everything else is a hyper realized version of Lee's/Byrne's and the take of other artist took pre-cat beast era. I completely agree.

Yeah ever since his second mutation was triggered he's looked like a feline and has varied in extremity depending on the artist really.

Hoult's Beast is definitely a mixture of both while still keeping some of the simian details while merging it with the cat form. BMM did a good picture example:

beastcomparison2.jpg
Indeed. I was only asking because I gave up on reading X-Men comics (due to money issues. Only read SPidey and Avengers now) back in 2009.

The cats on the right are what Mathew V. has wanted since X3, thank god the make-up artist was able to steer him away from that. I much prefer the simian look on the left, the basis for the Grammer Beast. BOTH movie versions looks fine to me.

Movie was much better than I expected (thank god Singer didn't direct), but Beast looked absolutely horrible. Kelsey's Beast looked much, much better. This one looked like a guy in a teddybear suit.

I totally agree with you.

Damn.

Agree to disagree to both of you.

And for the record, they both looked like guys in teddybear suits. :o

Beast is difficult to pull off in live-action. You either get total CGI that could look iffy or you get make-up, which others don't like.

I thought both versions in both films looked fine. Neither had me in meltdown mode.

I hope Beast inherited a little of Mystique's shape-changing abilities when he injected her cells into himself. I want to see more Nicholas Hoult. :hrt:

... so hank never got the chance to make out with raven? but magnus does? that sucks..

It's a sausage fest now, the new member should definitely be female. Apparently all the women prefer Magneto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"