The Official Nicholas Hoult/Beast Thread

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by BMM, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Midnight Black

Midnight Black Defender of the Universe

I liked Hoult he did a good job, but I'v always wanted to see an ape like brute beast with a gentle intellectual side before the blue transformation. That's what I was hoping for.

I thought the Hoult pre-blue beast was good, but could have shown him doing some more acrobatics. Still kind of iffy on the whole runny fast sequence because he has hands on his feet. Yeah beast is quick, but I don't know about quick silver fast.

Also, he didn't have the beast strength. Beast in the comics pre-blue had agility, dexterity, and strength and intellect. This beast had mainly intellect and just hand feet, no long arms, slouched posture nothing. I can live with it because Hoult did a good job though.

2. Matt Mortem

Matt Mortem RIP Hype Forums

I agree with you. Beast was really good, but he wasn't perfect

3. Midnight Black

Yeah, I still don't get the whole running fast thing. Unless they swapped the strength for speed, then I guess that could work.

4. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Um superhuman speed has always been part of his abilities including with strength.

Nothing was swapped, he has both.

5. Midnight Black

I don't remember them saying anything about superhuman speed in the comics, just strength. I guess I could be wrong.

As for his strength in the movie. I don't remember hearing or seeing anything about it.

Yeah, he is quick, but I always thought he was just fast/quick because he was agile like Nightcrawler not fast as in Quick Silver.

6. JP

JP Smelly

Hank has superhuman strength and agility.

7. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

I thought he did a great job. Only one thing that bugged me... does anyone else think he looks almost exactly like James Marsden? In my head, I kept thinking "Cyclops" throughout the movie.

8. SuperSoldier985

SuperSoldier985 That's Funny

Agility and speed almost always go hand in hand.

9. Midnight Black

Yes and no. Agility means someone is quick and fast in regards to their reflexes, but not fast in running like the flash.

I would say Nightcrawler is quick but not necessary fast.

10. DarknessOfDeath

DarknessOfDeath Rebel Scoundrel

While I like him as Hank McCoy/Beast, Nicholas reminded me of a young Scott Summers. Was I the only one who felt this way?

11. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

Yep, see my above comment. I think it's just because he looked so much like Marsden.

12. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

He most definitely has superhuman speed its actually been said several times over the years in the comics.

The first one going into detail being this issue:

[​IMG]

His strength is displayed in the battle with Azazel who is incredibly strong himself. Beast with agility and strength knocks him out with one claw/punch to his chest.

13. Carlo Comicus

Carlo Comicus Well-Known Member

14. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Usain Bolt runs at 23 miles per hour over 100/200 metres so Beast running at 40 miles per hour isn't a huge stretch. Its not quicksilver or northstar superspeed

15. Midnight Black

Okay, I guess. If it's in the comics:whatever:. Na just kidding. I buy that. But they still didn't show him doing anything beast like other than the running. They could have had him wear a body suit or something to give him size, but oh well. Hoult was good so I can overlook this.

16. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Hoult is 6ft 2. And he did wear a bodysuit. Plus, he lifted Magneto up by the neck...

17. Midnight Black

I don't mean size as in height I mean as in width and made him slouch similar to the comic character. Also, wearing a body suit pre-blue. Did he lift Magneto up or just choke him and drop him? I can't remember. In the end I am fine with what was portrayed. I just think that they diluted the character as with others a tad bit.

18. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Wow no idea he is that tall.

19. X-Maniac

I think he lifted him off the ground...

But as for making Beast even more animal or ape-like, with long arms and slouching, that has the potential to look a bit crappy, like Mr Hyde in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I liked it when he roared while flying the jet out of danger. I didn't much care for the 'reveal' scene where he walked out of the light, i would have liked something else like them finding him cowering in the wreckage of the lab and talking to him about what happened...

20. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Well-Known Member

Just a guy who looks like he has something to be ashamed of would have sufficed. He was just a pretty-boy with ugly feet lol, my mrs disliked the character because he was "so whiney over nothing". While I wouldn't go that far, I do think he came off wrong complaining next to Raven when the poor girl is blue and scally.

21. Midnight Black

Really you didn't like Mr. Hyde? I thought it was done well and different. Could have used more CGI in some scenes to show movement, but I thought they achieved their purpose well.

Exactly. The dude only had ugly hand-feet. Which were actually pretty cool. Here he is complaining and this chick is blue with no nipples and vajayjay. Man get over yourself. Hmmm let me see...super smarts and hand feet that allow me to run fast and hold onto things or normal feet and the risk of being an "average" intellect man. I think I'll take hand-feet.

Yeah, they should have made him look more ape like or buff or something.

22. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

How did you like the depiction of beast going from this

[​IMG] to this? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  23. BMM

BMM Well-Known Member

Because he looks like more of a beast. Too bad he doesn't look that good in the movie, though.

24. X-Maniac

I thought the look was fine...except when they are first standing together on the beach, his face was too much of a pale blue, didn't seem to match the other shots... I prefer the darker blue.

25. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Well-Known Member

I don't mind the inconsistancy, but I'm disappointed in this new version. I was fine with the TLS look and expected something cooler considering the 5 years of effects progress. It wasn't that bad though.