The Official PS4 Thread - Part 13

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Thread Manager, Feb 3, 2018.

1. X Knight Hope

no, I didn't grow up with Xbox. I actually grew up with Nintendo and Playstation. Pre PS1, my consoles were NES, Sega Genesis, and SNES. And of those, NES and SNES were my main consoles. So I was a Nintendo guy more than a Sega guy.

But then in 1995, I got the PS1 for Xmas. And ever since then, Playstation has been my primary console. I owned other consoles throughout the years, but the Playstation console of that gen ( PS1-PS4 ) has been my main console. with the exception of a few periods of time.

I never bought the original Xbox. PS2 was my main console back then. When I made the switch from CRT tube TV to HD tv in 2008, I got an Xbox 360 before a PS3 because the 360 was cheaper and it had games like Ninja Gaiden 2. I got a PS3 the following year, and after some time, the PS3 became my main console again ( primarily due to it being a better media player and also free online play at the time ).

This gen, in 2013, I got the PS4 for Xmas because Xbox One was $100 more and MS shot themselves in the foot with their reveal. But from 2014 until 2018, every year I tried to successfully own an Xbox One console. but I went through 5 or 6 faulty units throughout the years until finally getting the Xbox One X in 2018. and so far, that's working.......lol.

so when you look at my history, I should be a Playstation guy no brainer, since Playstation has been my main console brand for almost 25 years.

that's why I don't know why I have this attachment to Xbox. maybe it's because the 360 was my 1st "hd" console? idk......lol.

as for my Switch, I only own 3 games - Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey, and Smash Bros. I haven't even played Mario or Smash Bros......lol. I got the Switch mainly for Zelda. but I think Zelda wasn't quite what I had expected ( too open world and too much freedom ) and not quite like the Zelda games that I grew up playing.

Also, a few months after getting the Switch, I had to deal with some sad personal issues and I'm still dealing with those issues to this day. I think that's the main reason why I haven't touched the Switch. my overall gaming/entertainment desire ( and time ) has dropped dramatically.

that's also the main reason why I feel the need to downsize and consolidate and go down to just one console.

#251 X Knight, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Fading ---

Yeah, we're getting pretty near official. I haven't watched this yet, but I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing.

Sony PlayStation 5: Ray Tracing, SSD, 8-Core AMD Ryzen 3 - ExtremeTech

Mark Cerny, I believe he's the lead architect from the PS4, and PS5, came out and confirmed a few things.

First, the PS5 will use 3rd generation Ryzen chips. Given most early rumors said 1st gen, this is definitely good news. The lower end CPU's of the PS4, and XB1 were a common complaint of developers

Second, he said the PS5 will use solid state hard drives. He even implied they will be special ones.

Last two things are ray tracing support, and implied 4k, and 8k support. Because console gens last so long they probably realize 8k will be growing by the end of the PS5's life cycle. Me personally, I haven't even got into 4k, lol.

The specs look promising. The price rumor of $500 isn't bad either. Personally, I'm hyped. I just want them to take advantage of the added power, and add in more features.

3. zenith16 Registered

[​IMG]

1 day ago
    Sony PLAYSTATION 5 Could Cost A Whopping $500 To Own: Xbox One X Proves This Is Feasible
    If you were planning to pick up a PlayStation 5 at launch for $400, then you might be out of luck if current rumors hold true. Apparently, the system could cost $500, $100 more than the PlayStation 4.Read more

Also with below

[​IMG]

20 hours ago
    Sony PLAYSTATION 5: Mark Cerny Seem To Suggest Console Could Cost A Lot
    Mark Cerny and Sony appear to be setting the stage for a $500 PlayStation 5 come 2020. Then again, they could be placing a wool over our eyes.Read more

source: GameFragger.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Trailers and more!

4. X Knight Hope

I think $500 is the max for a premium console. Don't think Sony wants to repeat the PS3 mistake and price it higher than $500.

I've also been reading rumors that the Xbox Anaconda will be even more powerful than PS5 and maybe command a higher price tag at $600-$700.

Again, I think anything > $500 would be DOA. And MS shouldn't repeat the mistake of this gen when it launched the X1 $100 more than the PS4. Even if the Xbox Anaconda is more powerful than PS5, if it's $600 and PS5 is $500, consumers are going to go for the cheaper console, which is already commanding a premium price.

5. X Knight Hope

Also, just wanted to add this.

Yesterday, I discovered a site that you can link your Xbox account to and the site will track all your achievements with fancy stats and stuff.

TrueAchievements - Xbox Achievement Tracking

Well, today, I discovered they have a sister site that does the same for your PS account and your trophies!!

TrueTrophies - Playstation Trophy Tracking

So just wanted to post this here in case anyone wanted to use those sites to track their Achievements/Trophies stats.

6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh you didn’t know? I’ve been using that for a decade or so. :D:

7. X Knight Hope

clearly I didn't get the memo. :argh:

but no, I just discovered them.....lol.

pretty handy to see all your stats in one place and keep track of all your games.

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, I think that site played a big role in making achievements as big as they are. And I’ve linked a lot of news stories from there so you’ve probably unwittingly visited it quite a few times before. :D

9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I think $500 is the max for the basic version of a next gen console. There seems to be a big market for the more expensive premium versions of things though. Look how those ridiculously priced elite controllers sold out - I didn’t see that coming at all.

10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It sounds like the PS5 will be a more impressive tech product for the time it’s coming out compared to the PS4 so I wouldn’t be surprised.

11. X Knight Hope

perhaps. lol

but I didn't realize until yesterday that the site actually can track your achievements and that you can sign up using your Xbox account.

but yeah, I'll be visiting both of those True sites more often now. not only for tracking purposes but also all the news.

Iceman likes this.
  12. X Knight Hope

yeah, I've been seeing more and more of those elite/pro controllers going for $150-$200. crazy ****.

And people pay $1000+ for smartphones each year........lol.

And the economy ( here in the USA at least ) is doing better, so maybe consumers would be more agreeable to higher priced consoles. more so than say during the financial crisis about a decade ago.

but still, I think $500-$600 is really pushing it. $600 should be the max for a high-end premium console. but even that I think would be a hard sell. better be some good trade in offers to bring the price down. And for that price, these consoles better not be missing important stuff like a 4K player.......lol.

it will be interesting to see how Sony and MS reveal and price their next gen consoles in the coming months. and who goes first with their pricing.

One factor for Sony's early success this gen was that MS announced XB1 price first at E3 ( $500 ) and then Sony undercut that by announcing their $400 PS4 later in the day.

so I'm sure Sony and MS are waiting for the other one to make the 1st move this time around.

13. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I think having the lower priced version on the basic version of the console is important. Not so much on the premium version. I think the price of the elite controllers was more outrageous than an extra $100 on a machine that could last years and be a leading tech product. I can’t believe how well those controllers sold.

14. X Knight Hope

well, MS seems to be taking the 2 console approach. A cheaper/lower spec version (Lockhart) and the more powerful/more expensive version (Anaconda).

We don't know if Sony plans a similar approach. And that Cerny interview didn't make any mention of a 2 SKU approach. it sounded like he was talking about one machine.

Maybe Sony will follow the strategy this gen and release the basic console first and then a mid-cycle upgrade down the road at a higher price.

and I'm sure this gen, most people bought the base PS4 and PS4 Slim, as well as the base Xbox 1 and X1S, instead of the more expensive and powerful Pro and X.

Myself, I will opt for the more powerful option. So I won't mind spending a bit more for the premium version. But higher than $500, I won't feel comfortable. but that's just me.

If, for example, PS5 is $500 and Xbox Anaconda is $600, I would want to see just how much more powerful Xbox Anaconda is over the PS5 to justify the $100 difference.

15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, it would need to be a clear difference in power to justify a price difference of $100 IMO.

16. X Knight Hope

right now, the Xbox One X is $200 more than the S. And for me, there is a clear enough power difference between the two to justify the price difference. So I would be willing to spend the extra $ on the X.

however, comparing the X and PS4 Pro, it's a bit harder. Is the X worth $100 more than the Pro? that's harder to say, imo.

and beyond price, there will be other factors to consider. Like the launch game lineup and future games. as well as brand loyalty.

If Xbox can't rectify its exclusive game situation in time for next Xbox launch, that will hurt them, especially if they are also $100 more. even if Xbox Anaconda has a power advantage over PS5, if it has "no games" to back that power up, then consumers are going to go for PS5.

Both companies will have to bring out their "heavy hitter" exclusives for next gen launch. And for Xbox, there has to be more than just Halo: Infinite.

For me, a solid launch lineup for next Xbox could be:

Halo Infinite
    Forza 8
    Killer Instinct 2
    PlayGround's RPG game (possibly Fable)
    Ninja Theory's new game (possibly co-op scifi melee game)
    Plus some 3rd Party exclusives

I'd be interested in that lineup, especially if Killer Instinct 2 and new Fable are a thing.

For PS5:

Horizon Dawn 2
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Gran Turismo
    Bloodborne 2
    The Last of US 2 PS5 version ( if it comes out for PS4 this year )
    Plus some 3rd Party exclusives

Maybe Death Stranding, but I doubt Sony would put out Horizon Dawn 2, Ghost, and Death Stranding all at launch. Even Horizon 2 and Ghost together might be pushing it.

#266 X Knight, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  17. spiderman2 Registered

First I have heard of this game before.

18. Bobber Registered

What makes you think Ghost of Tsushima will be for PS5?

19. X Knight Hope

because it's releasing late in the PS4's life cycle. if Ghost or any of the other "big" games don't release in 2019, then there's a strong possibility they will either be saved for PS5 or released as cross gen titles for both PS4 and PS5. assuming PS5 does release in 2020.

20. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I'm glad Mark Cerny is a leading figure right now in gaming. I like the way he talks about the industry and its future.

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

If Anaconda is more powerful and more expensive, I feel the advantage of the excess power will be wiped away by the increase in price. Microsoft might need to pursue a lossmaking strategy to catch up by offering more power for the same price (although with the weaker exclusive library at launch).

22. X Knight Hope

agreed.

that's why I feel any price above $500 would be DOA, even if there is a power difference.

23. spiderman2 Registered

I think ps5 will cost 500 and next gen xbox I think will be 600 and yes I think 600 is going to really hurt micorsoft.

24. X Knight Hope

I think that would be a huge risk on MS' part.

at least if Anaconda is more powerful than PS5, they can claim that to justify the higher cost. but still...….

$600 would pretty much guarantee that Anaconda will cater to the hardcore gamer only - one who's willing to pay that much for the power. which means MS will be counting on the cheaper Lockhart ( some rumors at $250 ) to account for the bulk of their sales next gen.

it will be interesting to see which company announces price first.

It's possible Sony could surprise everyone and announce PS5 for $400, which would make it even more attractive. especially if Anaconda really is $600.

25. spiderman2 Registered

While maybe ps5 will be 400 and Anaconda 500 but I dont think it really matters. MS is just to focused on power and not enough on games. I think MS is a distanced 3erd now behind Sony and Nintendo.