Playstation The Official PS4 Thread - Part 13

While maybe ps5 will be 400 and Anaconda 500 but I dont think it really matters. MS is just to focused on power and not enough on games. I think MS is a distanced 3erd now behind Sony and Nintendo.
I don't know if Switch has surpassed Xbox total sales yet. but I'm sure it will happen given the momentum of Switch. And I'm sure PS4 will pass the 100m mark in the near future, too.

I know that today I just moved one step firmer into Playstation camp, with the official announcement of Persona 5 Royal as PS4 exclusive. There's one PS4 exclusive I can look forward to in 2020, and with PS5 being BC with PS4 games, I know I can continue Persona 5 Royal on the PS5 when that comes out.

Xbox continues to miss out on games like that, even though Phil Spencer has been courting Asain devs and there has been some improvement in that area. But still, it's always uncertain if a new J Dev game will make it to Xbox. Whereas it's pretty much certain it will come to PS and/or Switch.

And that's one big reason why I can't just stick with Xbox only. I would simply be missing out on games like Persona 5. Or games like the Trails of Cold Steel RPG series. Or the new Gran Blue Fantasy games coming out on PS4.

And that's something I can't ignore or overlook. The Xbox just doesn't have the same kind of game variety that Playstation has. And I don't see that situation changing that much in the future despite all the recent new studios MS acquired.

Last edited:
Persona 5 also brings up another issue with the Xbox game situation. it's not just 1st party exclusives, but 3rd party exclusives that Xbox lacks.

when was the last major 3rd party exclusive game that came to Xbox?

when was the last time Xbox scored exclusive content for a major multiplat game?

Heck, even Remedy, who has had a history with Xbox, is making their latest game Control multiplat. And guess what? PS4 gets exclusive content. Not Xbox.

I mean, that's a situation where MS should have snapped up Xbox exclusivity for Control, given Remedy's history with Xbox. Or at the very least, secure exclusive content for Xbox.

But no. Sony got the deal.

Insomniac's Spider-Man is another example. That was a huge 3rd party exclusive win for Sony and a huge loss for Xbox.

So Playstation not only has the stronger 1st party exclusives lineup, they also have the stronger 3rd party exclusives lineup.

Now, granted, not every 3rd party exclusive is on the level of Persona 5 or Spider-Man. Some are crap, some are mediocre, and some are too niche ( like all those visual novel type games ). But they still all add to the variety of games available on Playstation. a variety that Xbox lacks. which is yet another hurdle Xbox has to try to overcome next gen.

Last edited:
The problem X-box has is that they just cannot get exclusives from Japanese developers. Which leaves them with Western developers, who Sony is also after.

The problem X-box has is that they just cannot get exclusives from Japanese developers. Which leaves them with Western developers, who Sony is also after.
yeah.

but with such small Xbox sales in Japan, who can blame J Devs for not wanting to support Xbox? And, for J Dev games that are multiplat and on Xbox, I'm sure if you breakdown the sales, the games most likely sell more on PS4/Switch than on Xbox.

so J Devs aren't willing to support Xbox because of the limited Xbox userbase for J Dev games. which means less J Dev games get released for Xbox, which in turn contributes to the small Xbox userbase for those kind of games.

so it's like a vicious Catch-22 cycle, if that's the right term to use.

bigger Japanese companies like Capcom and Namco Bandai tend to support Xbox ( except for Street Fighter V ) but even with their titles, I'm sure Xbox is the smallest userbase.

Xbox is making progress on this front, but it still can't compare to the competition.

And another thing I learned recently, with games like Soul Calibur VI, even if a J Dev game does go multiplat and go to Xbox, most likely the PS4 will be the lead/main platform. which can result in the Xbox version feeling less optimized.

In Soul Calibur VI at launch, I remember the Xbox version had greater menu/navigation lag and the menu background audio was much softer compared to the PS4 version. They eventually patched those issues on Xbox, but it was still less than ideal and optimized at launch.

The exception to this, however, would be Dead or Alive 6. Somehow, the X1X version was able to secure exclusive rights to HDR support. Even the PS4 Pro didn't get HDR, which was kind of weird since it should be more than capable of supporting HDR.

Last edited:
impressive. and here's more.

Sony Reveals Hardware and Software Figures for PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, and PSP

I thought the PS4 had impressive #s. but when you compare it to PS1 and PS2, it hasn't even surpassed those yet ( though it will probably overtake PS1 ). Especially those PS2 #s. I never knew they were so high!!

When you look at the comparison #s, you can see how Sony really surprised the industry with PS1, hit its stride with PS2, took a bit of a step back with PS3, and is now getting its groove back on with PS4.

Has anyone played Days Gone yet ? Reviews are very average, any played and recommend it ?

Has anyone played Days Gone yet ? Reviews are very average, any played and recommend it ?
I've bought it, but I haven't opened it yet to play........lol.

I, too, am a bit concerned by the mixed reviews ( and they are all over the place ).

I've bought it, but I haven't opened it yet to play........lol.

I, too, am a bit concerned by the mixed reviews ( and they are all over the place ).

Hope it turns out well for you, surely zombies and hog bikes can't be that hard to screw up surely, perfect combination surely ?

Hope it turns out well for you, surely zombies and hog bikes can't be that hard to screw up surely, perfect combination surely ?
well, according to some reviewers they screwed it up........lol.

but Zombies aren't exactly my thing, either. I preordered Days Gone cuz it had an extra trade in credit bonus. but given the mixed reviews, I may just return it and exchange it for something else. And wait until Black Friday/Holidays when it goes on sale and get it then, assuming I've cleared out some of my backlog by then......lol.

well, according to some reviewers they screwed it up........lol.

but Zombies aren't exactly my thing, either. I preordered Days Gone cuz it had an extra trade in credit bonus. but given the mixed reviews, I may just return it and exchange it for something else. And wait until Black Friday/Holidays when it goes on sale and get it then, assuming I've cleared out some of my backlog by then......lol.

I'm hanging out for Rage 2, and still on RDR II at moment.

I'm hanging out for Rage 2, and still on RDR II at moment.
yeah. Rage 2 is another game I'm going to wait till it drops on sale later in the year.

I'm waiting for the new Samurai Shodown game to go up for preorder. When it does, then I think I'll exchange Days Gone for that.

MediEvil remake to headline next PlayStation State of Play livestream

So I thought we would get episode 2 in may and we are but I thought it would be like e3 for Sony meaning like a lot of news but with this only being 10 minutes it cant be much. It was about a month and a half from the first one to this one. I wonder if we will get a 3erd one in like another month and a half just after e3 with a lot of news.

Man, they are still learning this format, aren't they.

the 1st State of Play was kind of a letdown, as it was more VR focused.

so I don't have really any expectations going into this 2nd one. also, it's only ten minutes.

I am curious about the unannounced game, though.

The 2nd State of Play was better, imo. but that's mainly because they ended with FF7 Remake.....lol.

but I think if they continue to do State of Plays every month, then the short 10 min duration is actually fine. It gets right to the point with no filler or annoying hosts.

if they are going to do it every 2 months or so, then maybe they should extend the length to 20 min.

I really hope PS5 can pull off full BC with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

having just finished watching the Persona 4 Animation, now I really want to be able to go back and play the old Persona games on the current system.

because unless Atlus decides to remaster P3, P4, and P4 Arena, then BC would be the only way to play those games on a current console.

it's situations like this where I lament the PS4's lack of BC.

at least I can play as some of the P4 and P3 characters in Blazblue Cross Tag on the PS4. and hopefully they come out with Persona 5 Arena on the PS4, which would presumably include characters from P3 and P4.

but I really would like to play the actual P3 and P4 RPGs, since I never got the chance to play them. Prior to Persona 5, I had no interest in the series, but now it has quickly become a favorite.

Last edited:
I really hope PS5 can pull off full BC with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

having just finished watching the Persona 4 Animation, now I really want to be able to go back and play the old Persona games on the current system.

because unless Atlus decides to remaster P3, P4, and P4 Arena, then BC would be the only way to play those games on a current console.

it's situations like this where I lament the PS4's lack of BC.

at least I can play as some of the P4 and P3 characters in Blazblue Cross Tag on the PS4. and hopefully they come out with Persona 5 Arena on the PS4, which would presumably include characters from P3 and P4.

but I really would like to play the actual P3 and P4 RPGs, since I never got the chance to play them. Prior to Persona 5, I had no interest in the series, but now it has quickly become a favorite.

I would love for ps5 to be able to play all ps1-ps4 games like that but I think it will only be ps4 because of ps now and how it sounds like it will be hard to do ps3. I only have a ps3 and 4 but would love to be able to like get rid of them and save some space and a little bit of money towards ps5. I am really starting to run out of room for all my consoles over the years and I already have to swtich out hdmi cables that are plugged into the tv already has there are so many things I have that use hdmi.

I would love for ps5 to be able to play all ps1-ps4 games like that but I think it will only be ps4 because of ps now and how it sounds like it will be hard to do ps3. I only have a ps3 and 4 but would love to be able to like get rid of them and save some space and a little bit of money towards ps5. I am really starting to run out of room for all my consoles over the years and I already have to swtich out hdmi cables that are plugged into the tv already has there are so many things I have that use hdmi.

if you are starting to switch out hdmi cables, then maybe you should consider getting an HDMI switch device. like this one, which I had to pick up recently.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-4-port-hdmi-switch-black/2947005.p?skuId=2947005

but that's one reason why it would be nice to have one console that can play multiple generations of games. Plus, more and more newer tvs are increasingly dropping support for "legacy" ports like composite/component cables. so, if you have older, pre-HDMI devices like a PS2 or VCR, you'll have to go out and buy an adapter to convert those to HDMI.

which just means another device to hook up to your tv and more wires and crap dangling behind it......lol.

I would be disappointed if PS5 only offers PS4 BC and legacy BC ( PS1-PS3 ) is stuck behind a subscription like PS Now.

At least with the Xbox One, you can play 3 generations of games on it, even though BC isn't for all games. Maybe the next Xbox can be engineered to natively support all generations of Xbox games. That would be something.

if you are starting to switch out hdmi cables, then maybe you should consider getting an HDMI switch device. like this one, which I had to pick up recently.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-4-port-hdmi-switch-black/2947005.p?skuId=2947005

but that's one reason why it would be nice to have one console that can play multiple generations of games. Plus, more and more newer tvs are increasingly dropping support for "legacy" ports like composite/component cables. so, if you have older, pre-HDMI devices like a PS2 or VCR, you'll have to go out and buy an adapter to convert those to HDMI.

which just means another device to hook up to your tv and more wires and crap dangling behind it......lol.

I would be disappointed if PS5 only offers PS4 BC and legacy BC ( PS1-PS3 ) is stuck behind a subscription like PS Now.

At least with the Xbox One, you can play 3 generations of games on it, even though BC isn't for all games. Maybe the next Xbox can be engineered to natively support all generations of Xbox games. That would be something.

I have like 10 things that use HDMI and like only 4 ports and I thought about getting one of those type of things you posted about. Yeah my tv only has hdmi inputs its the 55 inch 4k Samsung ks8000 tv and yeah I have a converter for my super nitendo, gamecube the super nintendo I dont really need any more though has I have the mini snes that uses the hdmi cable.

I have like 10 things that use HDMI and like only 4 ports and I thought about getting one of those type of things you posted about. Yeah my tv only has hdmi inputs its the 55 inch 4k Samsung ks8000 tv and yeah I have a converter for my super nitendo, gamecube the super nintendo I dont really need any more though has I have the mini snes that uses the hdmi cable.
haha. yeah, it looks like you could use one of those HDMI switches. or maybe 2. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"