The Dark Knight Rises The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

I still can't believe Chris Nolan typed that out with his own fingers. :funny: Don't let the waistcoat fool you!

Nolan refuses to do 3D - but he's fine with 2P. :D

Great film 10/10

thoroughly agreed, i finally got to see it on "on Demand" and to me it was the better of all three, and i only liked part 2 because of the joker, but this was the best comic book movie of the year (i didn't think it would over take avengers, but it did to me slightly) and i'm not a fan of the way C.Nolan did his batman movies in a sense of them being so dragged out. But i was captured from the opening scene!

still hate Bale's damn voice of Batman, but other then that. Had no complaints.

also my favorite quote: Bane "the shadows betray you, because i own them!" oh damn that was great!!!

Last edited:
What I noticed with the reactions to TDKR is the following:

Amongst regular moviegoers, the film is loved. Almost every single person that I have talked to about the film has said the following:

1. It's the best of the trilogy

or

2. TDK is still the best, but TDKR is very close.

Only amongst geeks and devoted fans have I seen such polarization. Will the film hold up over time? We'll see.

What I noticed with the reactions to TDKR is the following:

Amongst regular moviegoers, the film is loved. Almost every single person that I have talked to about the film has said the following:

1. It's the best of the trilogy

or

2. TDK is still the best, but TDKR is very close.

Only amongst geeks and devoted fans have I seen such polarization. Will the film hold up over time? We'll see.

Its a good film, but idk. Bane just was far from bane to me. I don't feel like bane is a Che Rivera type and holding a city hostage... Just didn't feel right imo.

Made a lot sense to me. His father was a revolutionary in the comics, that's why Bane had to serve his sentence.

I'd say so. He was once in a plot with Ra's, Talia and the League to unleash a virus that would have killed 90% of the world's population.

You asked for scale. That's on an even bigger scale, plus it's a plot with the League.

Just saying there is precedent for Bane to do things besides break Batman's back and take over the criminal underworld. I think he fit the military leader role like a glove. Bane is all about demonstration of power, and was known for being a master strategist too.

im more commenting on the mustache twirling plot to over throw a city... and to turn society up on it's head. that doesn't sound like bane to me...

I watched it for the third time , and the truth is , I think I liked it better the second time. I dunno, there are parts of it which are really great and it has alot of good ideas. At the same time it has alot of bad and half baked ones as well. I think the problem is that it tries to do to much and ultimately Bruce imo, is kinda a spectator to his own story while everyone lectures to him. I actually realized that Bruce/Batman really doesn't say all that much in the film. Most of it is him listening or reacting to other character's angst and issues.

There's alot of exposition, which many of times doesn't really amount to anything because there are too many ideas and characters being thrown around to really have to have a payoff. Ultimately this a case where less could have been more. That said, it does tie everything up and does end the trilogy in a satifactory way.

I still give it a solid B grade.

but has he done anything remotely in the comics to scale that was TDKR?
Obviously by now you need to just accept that this is not the comics...this is Nolans version of Batman...and IMO Nolans way of using Bane was far more effective in the movie...right down to the much needed costume change...

I watched it last night and really enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm starting to think it might be tied with BB, but BB might have the slight edge because the story was able to convey everything it wanted to tell with adequate time. I still stand firm in my belief that the main problem this movie has is it's length. It really goes by extremely fast. I loved how the first act had that kinetic pace and energy that made TDK so engrossing, but after Bane initially takes over Gotham; it becomes kind of flat. Mostly with what's happening in Gotham. The beginning of the siege is fantastic. When they show all the bridges being blown up, I got a lump in my throat.

Everything with Bruce in the pit was spot on. Just amazing stuff right there. But overall it's an amazing film, and I can't wait to watch it again. Best Blu-Ray I have ever seen, by the way.

Glad to hear you still enjoy it JackWhite.

Yeah, the beginning of the siege has become one of my favorite parts of the whole film. The ominous score as the bridges are getting destroyed is just incredible. So sparse, but says so much. Really makes you feel dread for Gotham.

While this film juggles a lot more, and introduces some more comic booky elements I don't think it ever "jumps the shark", if you will. There is still a very strong anti-cheese factor that helps ground the events of the film in a way the first two did. Tonally it's very consistent with the first two.

I watched it for the third time , and the truth is , I think I liked it better the second time. I dunno, there are parts of it which are really great and it has alot of good ideas. At the same time it has alot of bad and half baked ones as well. I think the problem is that it tries to do to much and ultimately Bruce imo, is kinda a spectator to his own story while everyone lectures to him. I actually realized that Bruce/Batman really doesn't say all that much in the film. Most of it is him listening or reacting to other character's angst and issues.

There's alot of exposition, which many of times doesn't really amount to anything because there are too many ideas and characters being thrown around to really have to have a payoff. Ultimately this a case where less could have been more. That said, it does tie everything up and does end the trilogy in a satifactory way.

I still give it a solid B grade.

Yup and just watch and see this happen the more people watch it the more they'll see how flawed it is.

Time ain't gonna be kind to this one like it was to the first two.

Glad to hear you still enjoy it JackWhite.

Yeah, the beginning of the siege has become one of my favorite parts of the whole film. The ominous score as the bridges are getting destroyed is just incredible. So sparse, but says so much. Really makes you feel dread for Gotham.

While this film juggles a lot more, and introduces some more comic booky elements I don't think it ever "jumps the shark", if you will. There is still a very strong anti-cheese factor that helps ground the events of the film in a way the first two did. Tonally it's very consistent with the first two.

I think it might be a film that I enjoy more and more that I watch it.

I'm glad there wasn't any "Can you drive stick?" or Gordon awkwardly in the tumbler moments in Rises.

Obviously by now you need to just accept that this is not the comics...this is Nolans version of Batman...and IMO Nolans way of using Bane was far more effective in the movie...right down to the much needed costume change...

... and? lol i accept that, which is why it's a good movie. I just don't think it's a great "Batman" movie

I think it's a good movie. Definitely breaks the superhero threequel curse, but it's a big step down from BB and TDK. Watching TDKR made me appreciate them even more for being better movies.

Seen it four times on Blu-ray already(last time was just earlier today with my lady and our dog laying on our laps). Still 10/10 and the best of the trilogy.

I think it's a good movie. Definitely breaks the superhero threequel curse, but it's a big step down from BB and TDK. Watching TDKR made me appreciate them even more for being better movies.

agrees.

batman imo, unless he's with the rest of the batman family... works better in smaller scale more personal stories... not "savior of the city ala superman and metropolis" kinda scale. Now... if we have a trilogy that ends with the bat family going after a slew of villains who escaped arkham and taken over the city... that is more the epic tone and scale that I feel is more ideal for batman...

He's not superman. Batman works best as a vigilante who some fear and some praise, and almost becoming a mythical being that haunts the shadows.

some of this reminded me of Spider-Man 3 and the "Spider-Man day" ... that's completely missing the mark on who the character is... imo

batman is a hero, but he's not exactly a character people (especially kids) should "want" to be

Yup and just watch and see this happen the more people watch it the more they'll see how flawed it is.

Time ain't gonna be kind to this one like it was toi the first two.

Nope, seen it 3 times already n still think 10/10 and better then the first two films.

Throughly enjoyed every scene w Bane....only complaint...Bale's horrible batman voice....oh not to cool w the bat suit either but still enjoyed the movie.

batman is a hero, but he's not exactly a character people (especially kids) should "want" to be
I agree. I'm glad Bruce got happiness at the end of this trilogy. But as as a whole, when the character is stuck in his rut of being Batman forever ala the ongoing comics, I love the paranoid, reclusive side of him. And we definitely got that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"