The Official Superman Casting & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodrigo90

Wink wink ;)
Reaction score
This is a pretty big deal to some people,and I would like to see what more people think. Should the actor for Superman specifically be an American actor?

No. Anyone that insists otherwise has little grasp of the fundamentals of acting, or cinema for that matter.

No. Doesn't matter in the slightest. So long as the actor can pull of an American esque accent & visually looks like Superman, I couldn't care less even if it was a Russian in the role.

I don't think it matters to WB either as much as people seem to think it does. After all Batman/Bruce Wayne is being played by a Welsh actor (as well as the Joker by an Australian, Scarecrow by an Irish man, Ra's Al Ghul by a Northern Irish man, Jim Gordan by an English bloke etc) & the Batman/Bruce Wayne character (as well as the other characters mentioned) ARE American. Whereas Superman is an Alien immigrant who merely was raised in America.

They let non-Americans audition the last time they where casting for the part as well, if they'd no intention of casting a non-American they wouldn't even bother wasting their time & money in letting them audition just to make it look like they hold political correctness in obsurdly high regard.

I'm sure if Nolan (or whoever is in charge of the film/casting) feels strongly about a non-American actor for the part then he'll get his way.

I would like him to be American. But if he can pull it off without sounding weird (Sam in Terminator Salvation) then I could give it a pass.

As long as he looks like Superman, has a passable American accent and can act, then I wouldnt mind a non American with the role.

Showtime and Jamie have said that the WB execs arent looking at non American actors.

for me like i said in another thread, sure it would be nice if it is an american. But as long as the actor is pretty much white looking/cuacsian decent and can hold an american accent good enough i would be fine with.

No .
Get the real talent , regardless of nationality.

What would've been a better question to ask is :
Should the actor playing Superman be - Gay or not Gay

What difference does it make? Just get a good actor.

What difference does it make? Just get a good actor.

A big difference IMO.
Would fans accept an actor as supes if they found out he was gay ?
Mind you that we're talking about a lead actor and not some supporting player like McKellen as Magneto.

I do remember a debate here in the Superman forums about this very same topic. Quite a few posters had problems with a gay actor playing supes.

I don't really care either way. That said, it doesn't matter how I feel, what matters is how WB feels.

That is an interesting question because the U.S. in particular still tends to treat the subject as taboo, which is really ridiculous at this point. Hell, I remember when Superman Returns came out, they said that Superman came off "gay" in the movie, which was ridiculous and I believe solely generated by a**holes who had a problem with Bryan Singer being gay.

Now, if they were insinuating that Superman came off catatonic or wooden in that movie, well, that'd be a different story.

But anyway, I would have no problem if the actor playing Superman was gay. I can't speak for the rest of America, though.

There was a time when I thought strongly about Superman being played by an American, but after seeing the final short list of American actors that were auditioning to play Captain America, you can't help but wonder if there even is a "Superman" type actor in America anymore.

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are probably the two best cast Superheros and I would be extremely happy with an actor of their caliber to play Superman no matter where the man comes from.

A big difference IMO.
Mind you that we're talking about a lead actor and not some supporting player like McKellen as Magneto.

I do remember a debate here in the Superman forums about this very same topic. Quite a few posters had problems with a gay actor playing supes.

Thinking about Matthew Boomer huh?

Actually, I think we should be REALLY authentic here.

WB should only be looking at Kryptonian actors.

If Eric Bana was a little younger I wouldnt mind him as Supes. And I don't care that he has played Bruce Banner.

Doesn't matter...to me. Good actor trumps all.

yea bana probably would have been a better supes then hulk. I really cant wait to see what names known/semiknown/unknown we will actually hear are testing this time around.

Doesn't matter...to me. Good actor trumps all.

Same here. I really can't understand why anyone would insist on Superman's actor being American.

Bana would've been great in his younger days. Very similar to Hugh Jackman in terms of acting credits, he's great in everything from Romantic comedies to action flicks. A good actor is all you need. Why limit the talent pool to only American's when you're not casting an American? You're casting a Kryptonian PRENTENDING to be an American.

A big difference IMO.

I don't get that either. I can understand being concerned about the public's reception of a gay Superman actor but to be personally bothered by it...these people are aware that the actor isn't Superman in real life, right?

I don't get that either. I can understand being concerned about the public's reception of a gay Superman actor but to be personally bothered by it...these people are aware that the actor isn't Superman in real life, right?

Well, one would hope so, but... we've seen how some people on these boards act about certain actors. :hehe:

Yes. The ideal actor "should" be an American, but that's really the bottom priority. But if you found two people, an American and, say, a Scot, with the same level of acting ability, the same age, and the same resemblance to the character, I'd go with the American.

It doesn't matter to me if the actor is American or not. It mattered to me when it came to Captain America but Superman is a whole different other story. He isn't really American anyway so who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"