The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it.

There's nothing wrong with the old suit, except for the fact that it's now been changed to a new suit in the comics. Let's follow continuity instead of not.

Personally I'd prefer to continue with the classic suit that we've had for decades rather than a suit that'll likely last maybe a year or so then revert back to the classic.

The difference between the new suit this time and the electric one in the 90s is that this one is good and it's not just Superman who's being reinvented.

The difference between the new suit this time and the electric one in the 90s is that this one is good and it's not just Superman who's being reinvented.

That's very clearly a matter of opinon, infact it seems the majority here don't agree.

So according to two noobs, only Marvel fans an non-"true Superman fans" are alright with the redesign.

:lmao:

Except the new suit will look no less stupid in live action than the old one, but it won't have 70 years of brand recognition to support it.

So the reasons for putting the old suit in the film are brand recognition, nostalgia and tradition. Well let's get Bryan Singer back in then eh?*

*P.S I enjoyed Superman Returns up to a point. The lack of action and the lack of strong female characters did unnerve me however. It was still extremely well made considering the attempts that preceded it.

So according to two noobs, only Marvel fans an non-"true Superman fans" are alright with the redesign.

:lmao:

I'm guessing I'm one of those you cowardly labeled as a "noob?"

I joined up a year after you.

And there's more than just two people here who hate the redesign. So get over yourself.

I'm guessing I'm one of those you cowardly labeled as a "noob?"

I joined up a year after you.

And there's more than just two people here who hate the redesign. So get over yourself.
So says the guy that dismisses Marvel fans' taste factor. :whatever:

I don't understand why it matters if someone else hates the design if you like it or don't for that matter.

I like the new design. It doesn't make me any less of a fan than Majik or yourself. It just means I like it.

That's very clearly a matter of opinon, infact it seems the majority here don't agree.
Obviously it's a matter of opinion....but so what if the majority here don't agree (if that's even the case). The majority here are not necessarily representative of either the majority of comic book readers or movie goers.

There's a difference between holding a dissenting opinion, and effectively saying that our opinions don't count because your view of the character is too narrow to accept anything that line up with it.
You do not get to be the arbiter of who is and who is not a "true" Superman fan.

My God. You guys have no margin for change with Superman's costume, do you? It's amazing how uptight you guys are. With Snyder and Nolan at the helm, either expect a total revolutionized, real look (Nolan influence) or a modern take that isn't too different, but still noticeably changed. (Snyder influence)

I think it's safe to say you will NOT be getting this:

supermanbegins.jpg

I expect little to no Nolan influence. Zack attack is the man with the plan here.

The only thing Nolan did was give the basic story, hire Snyder to adapt it, and he'll produce. Nothing else. This is Snyder's movie.

The only thing Nolan did was give the basic story, hire Snyder to adapt it, and he'll produce. Nothing else. This is Snyder's movie.

I have a feeling it's not quite that clear cut.

I think Nolan and Goyer have written the script entirely, arranged for themselves to have a 'no questions asked' policy from WB's perspective and now have Snyder to direct.

Well, Goyer put onto paper what he and Nolan came up with. And Snyder was hired to direct that. Considering Snyder isnt much of a writer I'd say it's Nolan and Goyer's story and IMO the story is half a movie, or at least without their "modern" pitch there might not even have been a movie being made, so there it is...

Last edited:
So says the guy that dismisses Marvel fans' taste factor. :whatever:

I didn't dismiss Marvel fans' "taste factor," whatever the hell that is. I said that Marvel fans are use to Marvel characters' suits changing more often and having changes that stick more often than DC.

The point being that some Marvel fans don't think a suit has the same symbolic importance it does in DC. And that's actually kind of true; symbolism isn't that important for the Marvel characters.

But Superman's suit in its classic form is integral to the character and his mythos. And it can be made to look great with modern materials and techniques.

The reason we will likely see a "redesigned" suit is because it is always far easier to deconstruct than to create. It would be much harder to take the classic suit and \S/ design and use modern fabrics to make it work. Instead, we'll get a "kewl armor!!!" design that will look dated and ill-fitting the feel and legacy of Superman.

"symbolism isn't that important for the Marvel characters. "

This is where I stopped reading.

The point being that some Marvel fans don't think a suit has the same symbolic importance it does in DC.

'Symbolism'? Honestly, comic book fans are the only ones that take this stuff this seriously. The other portion of this film's audience, who will very likely already recognize Superman as a piece of Americana regardless, will still accept any new design as long as it doesn't look completely half-assed and void of the spirit of the character. Which means that as long as it has a cape, an S, and still follows the color palate of red/blue/yellow, it'll still be Superman to them. Everything else about the design is completely irrelevant.

They completely redesigned the Batsuit for the newer Batman films and no one, not a single member of the general audience has ever complained about the fact despite the character being iconic. Going back even further, the Batsuit for the Burton film was even more drastically redesigned because it was the first time Batman was ever presented with a completely black costume. Yet it never once hindered the consensus for those movies and their quality, nor was it unrecognizable as the character. It won't affect Superman in the least if his is similarly redone to such a degree.

'Symbolism'? Honestly, comic book fans are the only ones that take this stuff this seriously. The other portion of this film's audience, who will very likely already recognize Superman as a piece of Americana regardless, will still accept any new design as long as it doesn't look completely half-assed and void of the spirit of the character. Which means that as long as it has a cape, an S, and still follows the color palate of red/blue/yellow, it'll still be Superman to them. Everything else about the design is completely irrelevant.

They completely redesigned the Batsuit for the newer Batman films and no one, not a single member of the general audience has ever complained about the fact despite the character being iconic. Going back even further, the Batsuit for the Burton film was even more drastically redesigned because it was the first time Batman was ever presented with a completely black costume. Yet it never once hindered the consensus for those movies and their quality, nor was it unrecognizable as the character. It won't affect Superman in the least if his is similarly redone to such a degree.

On an unrelated note, what is that avatar you have on there? Do you have a full-sized picture of that?

Very Well Said :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"