The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Superman got Byrned, wasn't he called Superman prior to donning the \S/?

That was the original interpretation yes, but since then it's become the House of El's crest or in Birthright it was the symbol of Hope.

I surely don't want it to just be S for Superman. That's a bit self-aggrandizing.

Look, I have been drinking, but I'm not ******ed. Yes, it's the "crest of the House of El." But, when Superman appears in Metropolis, do they say, "Look! Up in the sky! It's a member of the House of El!" No, they don't, because they don't know what the frack the House of El is. Superman would not call himself Superman. He wears his family crest. Got it. But his family crest looks like an S, which, unless I'm mistaken, is why they coin the name "Superman."

If I'm not mistaken Lois coined the name Superman and primarily because he normally has made an entrance into the world of the media by saving her backside.

If I'm not mistaken Lois coined the name Superman and primarily because he normally has made an entrance into the world of the media by saving her backside.

By that rationale, do you believe that, if the crest of the House of El looked like the letter M, she would still have called him Superman?

You never know, she might have. She might have called him Megaman.

To me what he's called shouldn't have a relation to the S. It does from the world's perspective, but the Shield should be of Kryptonian origin and hence created prior to Superman existing.

You never know, she might have. She might have called him Megaman.

To me what he's called shouldn't have a relation to the S. It does from the world's perspective, but the Shield should be of Kryptonian origin and hence created prior to Superman existing.

Oh, so it is an S.

In Smallville he left an S everywhere yet his hero name began with a B. In Byrne's origin he was Superman before the \S/. It doesn't have to be an actual S, as long as it resembles one Lois could say how it resembles an S and then call him Superman from there.

Of course it looks like an S. The creators went with the rather simple idea of S for Superman.

It's just since then it'll be a bit egotistical of Clark to go 'Oh I'm super so S for Superman'. Meh.

Of course it looks like an S. The creators went with the rather simple idea of S for Superman.

It's just since then it'll be a bit egotistical of Clark to go 'Oh I'm super so S for Superman'. Meh.

Yes, I agree! It WOULD BE vain to call himself Superman. That's not what I'm arguing. What I'm saying is that the symbol on his chest looks a hell of a lot like an S, which is why the general public buy into the whole Superman moniker. If it looked like an M, they'd be like, "if he has an M on his chest, why do we call him Superman?" So, back to my first post, that logo that was posted, in my humble opinion, is not "amazing" because it's not recognizable as an S. That is all.

Anyway, does anybody have this pic:

But edited to have Cavill's face?

I agree. Whilst I'm all for a revamped suit, the Shield stays.

No.

They call him Superman because of the S on his chest. This looks like nothing. It's not recognizable as an S unless you really study it. If they went with this, they wouldn't say, "He had an S on his chest." They'd say, "He had this weird thing on his chest."

Well, it could escalate to something like.. "He had this weird thing on his chest" to .. "What kinda thing?" Then someone says, "it sorta looked like an S"..

I can see that happening. If you can accept the whole glasses = secret identity thing, this isn't too much of a stretch.

No.

They call him Superman because of the S on his chest. This looks like nothing. It's not recognizable as an S unless you really study it. If

What? How the heck does that not look like a damn S?

It looks more like an S than the Kingdom Come \S/ :o

Hey everyone, it's Disney Pixar's Superman

5726153428_655577e7df.jpg

Considering Disney/Pixar movies only have one failure, one underperformer and the rest amazing movies, that's a compliment. :o

Hey everyone, it's Disney Pixar's Superman

He should be so lucky to have pixar make a movie with him.

....but what makes you think the poster is pixar-esque anyway?

He should be so lucky to have pixar make a movie with him.

....but what makes you think the poster is pixar-esque anyway?

It's a great redesign in my opinion. I actually like it a lot better than the revamped Bat symbol we got with Batman Begins.

On a side note, I personally don't see anything pixar-esque about it, but even if it was, pixar rules inherently.

Isn't it awesome?
The only thing that sucks about this is that it's fan made and not official.

What I like about it is that (1) it's obviously Superman, (2) it's obviously an "S" but it could be an alien symbol, and (3) it's modern looking, without looking cheesy.

The only thing that sucks about this is that it's fan made and not official.

What I like about it is that (1) it's obviously Superman, (2) it's obviously an "S" but it could be an alien symbol, and (3) it's modern looking, without looking cheesy.

Agreed. I look at it and see an "S", but also see something that could be futuristic, or alien.

i dont see a :super:
i see something that's trying to be a :super:, but failing at it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88