The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good summary. And you're right about Asgard being regal, epic, etc.

I can't believe one critic wrote that Asgard looked too fake and the sets cheap. He's obviously blind, it was one of the best bits of the film.

Makes you wonder how the brain works in some people when the vast majority see one thing and a few don't see it at all.

I saw it for the second time, this time in 2d, and I have to say, I enjoyed the Earth scenes better this time around. I laughed more, and got connected with Thor's relationship with Jane and the others. I appreciate the bittersweet ending now. 3d sucks! Anyway, I think it is as good as Iron Man, thank God I watched it again in 2d. from 8/10, i give it 8.5/10 now. Can't wait for the sequel.

Good summary. And you're right about Asgard being regal, epic, etc.

I can't believe one critic wrote that Asgard looked too fake and the sets cheap. He's obviously blind, it was one of the best bits of the film.

Thanks man. I agree.

What was interesting to me, is if you read the various reviews that are out there, different people like different thing's. The earlier reviews were saying Asgard is terrific, and the earth stuff isn't as good... Then later on some people were saying the earth stuff was great, and that Asgard threw them off a little bit. Just personal taste, I guess.

Just got back from watching Thor.

Well, what can I say? As someone who was massively sceptical when this film was announced I went in with my crackers (irrespective of what the reviews said) and came out with not a sliver of cheese :D

This film was terrific. Thor's debut was funny, emotional and heaps of fun. There are a lot of genuine laugh out load moments on Earth and the Asgard sections were wonderful. The casting was fantastic, Hemsworth IS the son of Odin, Hiddleston was decidedly dastardly and of course Hopkins was perfect. Russo didn't get a lot of screen time but she was fine for what she was worth and Lady Sif and the Warriors Three were heroic and funny. In terms of the mortals, well Portman is always good, Skarsgard again is always good and Dennings to my surprise didn't annoy me.

The action was quality, especially the first major fight, Coulson got A LOT more screen time and The Avengers has been set up nicely.

All in all a thunderous triumph for the God of Thunder :)

Im so shocked that people seem to like it so much because everything (trailers, tv spots, even plot, etc) seems terrible about this film. I'm not going to watch in theaters but since it seems to be so liked I will probably check it out on dvd.

Even people who HATED the trailers have said they like or love this film. So your loss, I guess.

Im so shocked that people seem to like it so much because everything (trailers, tv spots, even plot, etc) seems terrible about this film. I'm not going to watch in theaters but since it seems to be so liked I will probably check it out on dvd.

Each to his own. There's a load of films coming out that I wouldn't go and see, but I don't go on forums about them and say I'm not going to see it.

I saw Thor (in 3d as the only 2d showing were hours later) yesterday, really enjoyed it. Very solid.

As far as negatives go, I think it felt a little choppy here and there & very tight. I got the impression that it would benifit a lot from the breating room another 10 or 15 minutes would give it (the cut I saw was about 115mins).

3d didn't really add anything but for a few scenes (surprise surprise!), one being Asguards reveal at the start (glorious) another of which was the end credits (quite awesome in 3d).

I found Volstagg really pushed the line almost into Camp territory, same with Fandral but to a little lesser extent.

But those complaints are pretty minor overall.

Would have liked more time with Thor as Hemsworth is great in the part.
I need a horse!
Hopkins & Hiddleston were also great. Elba was awesome. Loved all the Frost Giant stuff.

I thought the earth scenes worked very well in grounding the film. Really enjoyed Jane, Darcy & Selvig.
Selvig getting drunk with Thor was great.
Always cool to see Coulson.
"Son of Coul" :funny:

I'll be seeing it again hopefully next weekend and definitely the weekend after that & I look forward to it.

Moridin, your 3 spoiler tags are spot on! - Loved those bits!

I'm so shocked that someone who hasn't seen the film, and as such isn't in a position to criticise it, is so shocked that people who have seen the film like it.

Each to his own. There's a load of films coming out that I wouldn't go and see, but I don't go on forums about them and say I'm not going to see it.
Neither do I. I clearly said I'm going to check it out.

I'm so shocked that someone who hasn't seen the film, and as such isn't in a position to criticise it, is so shocked that people who have seen the film like it.
I'm so shocked that you are shocked by the fact that people anticipate a film or not based off how well they received a trailer/tv spot.

I'm shocked. I stuck my fingers in an electrical socket.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that shocking is going on in here.

I'm so shocked that you are shocked by the fact that people anticipate a film or not based off how well they received a trailer/tv spot.

Not always. The narrative, genre and paradigms are the main contributing factor when deciding what film to watch. If you love fantasy films then you will watch Lord of the Rings anyway. If you love super hero films then you will watch the latest one that is released, since odds are, you will like it. I thought Thor was gonna be cheesy as hell....but I went to see it because I love the genre and how very wrong I was.

Also there is a big difference between anticipating a film and outright criticising it based off of five minutes of total footage. Trailers are very deceiving things, they can either show you all the film's best bits, or as is perhaps the case with Thor, not do the film justice because the scenes don't work out of context.

Not always. The narrative, genre and paradigms are the main contributing factor when deciding what film to watch. If you love fantasy films then you will watch Lord of the Rings anyway. If you love super hero films then you will watch the latest one that is released, since odds are, you will like it. I thought Thor was gonna be cheesy as hell....but I went to see it because I love the genre and how very wrong I was.

Also there is a big difference between anticipating a film and outright criticising it based off of five minutes of total footage. Trailers are very deceiving things, they can either show you all the film's best bits, or as is perhaps the case with Thor, not do the film justice because the scenes don't work out of context.
I wasn't criticizing the movie...I was criticizing the trailers/tv spots which made the movie not seem so great but apparently it is a good film (according to fans and critics) which is something I wasn't really expecting (but I'm happy it is since I love comic book movies). The only reason I'm probably not going to see it in theaters is because I'm a broke college student but I'm definitely giving it a chance now.

And you're right people shouldn't judge movies completely on trailers/tv spots but those are really the only glimpses you get and if you don't read any reviews you don't really know what kind of quality to expect

If a movie gets praise from fans AND critics, it is a success

I wasn't criticizing the movie...I was criticizing the trailers/tv spots which made the movie not seem so great but apparently it is a good film (according to fans and critics) which is something I wasn't really expecting (but I'm happy it is since I love comic book movies). The only reason I'm probably not going to see it in theaters is because I'm a broke college student but I'm definitely giving it a chance now.

And you're right people shouldn't judge movies completely on trailers/tv spots but those are really the only glimpses you get and if you don't read any reviews you don't really know what kind of quality to expect

True and if the trailers don't appeal to you then yes, it is likely to dampen your anticipation for the film. I have never been a fan of trailers though, in my opinion they only work if your into the subject matter and even then they only build excitement and aren't in any way a persuasive tool. I remember back in 2007 when the Transformers theatrical trailer hit, being a fan of G1 I was gonna see the film anyway but the trailer got me even more pumped. Trailers to me are just a tad pointless :)

since the film is really good overall i'm going to go into some small nitpicking.

I think there was somewhat too much mugging for the camera in the thor is humiliated scenes from hemsworth
he doesn't react well to being shocked or injected

and my favorite part of the film is
what my brother called the paper weight attack. thor pinning loki with mojiner was just so good. it's a moment that can't happen in any other film really.

I might advise you to try and see it in theaters. I'm still kicking myself because the bad trailers for Kick Ass kept me from seeing it in theaters. If I'd only read some of the reactions from fans before it left theaters.... :(

I'm shocked, shocked to find that shocking is going on in here.
Casablanca references are always super cool. :word: :up::up:

It was never a mistake to choose Kenneth Branagh as the director of this film because he does weave a dramatic storyline that seems to indeed echo his background in Shakespearean drama, and the seemingly conscious effort to ensure that this movie is also immensely rich in eye candy, action, and adventure as well.

The concept designs are gorgeous; the costumes are superbly attractive; the color tone of the movie when it goes to scenes of Asgard are vibrant and appropriate to portray a world that is both magical and also suspiciously alien. The concept of the Asgardians and the Frost Giants, along with the magic are cleverly portrayed to be as such that magic and mythological gods could be things of science and beings of alien origin, but never explicably just one of both. Even the rainbow bridge in the comicbook versions are interpreted in this film as so that it does look like a rainbow, but never silly looking as expected.

Expectations have been exceeded with this movie. THOR is one of those comic-book concepts that have a heavy degree of fragility to be translated onscreen. The slightest mistake could have made this project look silly or awful. But Branagh and his team have succeeded in overcoming that incredible obstacle and proved that THOR is an excellently-made, and a cleverly-conceived movie. I will surely watch it again this weekend, this time; on 3-D.

read the FULL REVIEW at http://www.bukisa.com/articles/491249_thor-is-beyond-mighty-thor-film-review

Well, back from watching the film, gave it a 7 on the rate thread, but probably a 7.5 overall.

Hemsworth was brilliant, especially his voice. Honestly, I can't think of a better voice for Thor now! Loki was great too, especially in one of his scenes with Odin. I felt some of Loki's behavior during the final fight was a bit overdone.

The humour was mostly good (most people here know which I didn't enjoy ;) ) but most of the people in the theatre (sadly pretty empty) roared with laughter.

The fight with the Frost Giants was really great, the Destroyer overall was pretty well built up - Fine, it's fight with Thor was pretty short, but still enjoyed it. Didn't really enjoy the Warriors Three, especially Volstagg.

My favourite parts?
When he realizes he can't lift Mjolnir - When he looks up; well that was Thor 100%, brilliant.

Any part that showed Heimdal's observatory - that was as close to mystical and powerful you can ever make a machine.

Heimdal himself - full of win

Thor putting Mjolnir on Loki's chest.
I must say, and this is my old fault; reading too much on this forum did spoil it a bit.
Watching it in a cheap cinema (to watch it in 2D) was was even worse; visual and sound quality was terrible. Tomorrow I'm biting the bullet and watching it in 3D, my first such.

Last edited:
A couple of the best bits:

*Thor walks into pet store*
"I need a horse".

*Sales assistant stares in disbelief*

"Uhm, we only sell dogs and cats."

*Thor*

"Well give me one of them that's big enough to ride". Quality.

When Odin reveals Loki's true origin and Hiddleston's acting in this bit, quality

The end credits scene. Great set up :)

Thor.
Probably the most difficult avenger to bring to screen. But was pretty much nailed.

Hiddleston deserves a special mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"