The Official 'Thor Rate & Review' thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved that part too. When that whole sequence started, I knew I was going to love this movie.
I liked what they did in that entire fight.

The part where Thor's spinning Mjolnir and firing ice shards off the ground at the Frost Giants, the part Thor takes off into the air and returns fast flying through the Frost Beast's head (3D was cool there!) Odin Arriving on Slepnir his 8 legged horse. I was PLOTZING with all the Thor goodness in those scenes.lol

I used to have those Batman cards, I forgot what happened to them. I still have Empire Strikes Back and Back to the Future II cards, and I think I may still have Terminator 2.
Only collector cards I have left out of the Full Frazetta set, Batman, and Marvel from the 80's is maybe 15 of them all collectively, mostly Marvel. My fave was the Hildebrandt Odin. I wish I had Greg sign it while he was teaching me at the Kubert school. :(

I have a full set of Star Trek 30th annaversary cards. The rest of my cards are all baseball cards.

I liked what they did in that entire fight.

The part where Thor's spinning Mjolnir and firing ice shards off the ground at the Frost Giants, the part Thor takes off into the air and returns fast flying through the Frost Beast's head (3D was cool there!) Odin Arriving on Slepnir his 8 legged horse. I was PLOTZING with all the Thor goodness in those scenes.lol

I agree!,I was very impressed and it turned out much better than I expected.

I was was kind of Disappointed since the Script with Destroyer being weakened, BUT,

I loved where Sif was on top of it with the spear through Destroyer, and his body switches direction. THAT was pretty cool, but that scene Should have been longer.

80% favourable reviews and a 6.9/10 average score? Fair scorecard, I'm only surprised it wasn't sitting on there longer.

Average score now is actually 6.8, it should be over 7.0 considering Superman Returns was.

The movie is at least as good as X2, if not better.

Average score now is actually 6.8, it should be over 7.0 considering Superman Returns was.

The movie is at least as good as X2, if not better.

Agreed.

if this movie drops below 75% by the end of its final run in theaters, then something is SERIOUSLY messed up

Thor should be alot higher on RT than it is. I think some reviewers are crapping on this because they are either tired of comic book movies or they don't like the MCU continuity. I'm not saying this is the best movie ever, but compared to Fast 5, Thor is vastly superior in every aspect.

Agreed this is easily one of the best CBMs ever made and waaaaaay better than Fast 5.

Solid flick! Wish I didnt see it in 3D, couldnt see wtf was going on during the Frost giant battle. Theatre only had 4 2D showings through out the day. :cmad:

Saw it on IMAX 3-D today at 1 PM EDT.

Theater was about 50% full, which at $17.50 a ticket doesnt surprise me.

Liked the movie, thought they made the parts of Thor/Asgard that I was afraid would be corny, believable. SFX were impressive and thought the cast did a great job. Storyline was OK overall, nothing great.

I'd give it an 8/10

BTW did I miss Thor wearing his helmet?

The following review contains spoilers...viewer discretion is HEAVILY advised:

Marvel's Thor utilizes an excalibur-esque story to perfection in its interpretation of the comic book. There is a lot for me to comment on with the film.

I will begin with Hemmsworth. The trailers don't do his performance justice at all. Hemmsworth brings Thor to life almost as well as RDJ did for Tony Stark (though Stark I feel is a slightly better performance). He balances the arrogance and regal nature of early Thor with the more wisened Thor after all this transpires. Where Hemmsworth really shines is with Portman on screen, but I'll get more to that later. Thor's arc is obvious, but the excalibur story really works. It gives Thor a reason to change who he is and realize his inner faults, starting as a man whose eventual rule of Asgard is a fact and matter of time, and only when he finds a love and discovers the treachery of his brother, whom he loves dearly, can he face and beat his brother and make the ultimate sacrifice of losing his new love. Very good! Chris Evans I hope can measure up to Hemmsworth and RDJ!

But, a hero is only as good as his villain, and this film has EASILY the best villain in a Marvel film to date in Loki. I absolutely LOVED Loki and the direction they went with him. Loki shines in every scene and tricks even us. You believe Loki is doing all this to take Asgard, but it was really all about impressing his father and overshadowing his brother, who has always roamed the spotlight in the family, for once in his life. When Loki is trying to get Thor to fight him, you can see the mix of love and hate in Hiddelston's eyes. It's beautifully done, and he is a sad character. I felt REALLY sorry for Loki. I didn't want him to win, of course, but when he says to Odin "I could have done it father," as a younger brother myself, I can't help but understand that pain and isolation Loki was showing. Hiddelston does a great job, as does the script with Loki. Loki is leaps and bounds over the previous Marvel film villains. Hugo Weaving has a tough act to follow.

One of the things I always say about Iron Man is the 2nd half kind of mills around with little change in Stark's character arc, and for this reason, Thor's script and overall narrative is much better. In the 1st half of Iron Man, it is paced well and the arcs are nicely done. But, once he starts building the armor at home, it stagnates. The characters in Thor are always changing and always moving forward. The only thing the script falters on is the briefness of Thor's exile to Earth. It lasts a whole 2 days, and in that 2 days, Foster convinces him Earth is great and they're in love? This would be sloppy, but Portman and Hemmsworth have such great chemistry, shoddy writing actually works and minimizes the flaw. I also don't feel like SHIELD was forced into the movie or anything in a distracting way, like Black Widow in IM2. It all made sense and worked.

This film has such great atmosphere, too. Asgard is gorgeous! The color pallet, the clothing, everything. It has such a clear and brilliant atmosphere. It sucks you in! The Frost Giants contrasting world of darkness and emptiness is also great, but in a much different way. The score for the film is also amazing. It compliments what is going on in the movie VERY well. My favorite piece of music is when Thor is having the ceremony, before it is interrupted. Great music for that moment. This film also uses a lot of tilted angles, which on Earth really work cause it adds a bit of surrealism to the events, which include a fallen God.

This film was everything I wanted out of it. Great in almost every way. His brief stay on Earth is really the only flaw of the film worth mentioning. Other than that, excellent film and Marvel's best to date! You're up next, Captain America. I hope you're up to the challenge!

4/5

Last edited:
Saw it on IMAX 3-D today at 1 PM EDT.

Theater was about 50% full, which at $17.50 a ticket doesnt surprise me.

Liked the movie, thought they made the parts of Thor/Asgard that I was afraid would be corny, believable. SFX were impressive and thought the cast did a great job. Storyline was OK overall, nothing great.

I'd give it an 8/10

BTW did I miss Thor wearing his helmet?
Only scene he wears the Helmet is where he walks down toward Odin during the Coronation. In the movies it seems they're using the Helmets more as a Crown than protective wear.

Marvel's Thor utilizes an excalibur-esque story to perfection in its interpretation of the comic book. There is a lot for me to comment on with the film.

I will begin with Hemmsworth. The trailers don't do his performance justice at all. Hemmsworth brings Thor to life almost as well as RDJ did for Tony Stark (though Stark I feel is a slightly better performance). He balances the arrogance and regal nature of early Thor with the more wisened Thor after all this transpires. Where Hemmsworth really shines is with Portman on screen, but I'll get more to that later. Thor's arc is obvious, but the excalibur story really works. It gives Thor a reason to change who he is and realize his inner faults, starting as a man whose eventual rule of Asgard is a fact and matter of time, and only when he finds a love and discovers the treachery of his brother, whom he loves dearly, can he face and beat his brother and make the ultimate sacrifice of losing his new love. Very good! Chris Evans I hope can measure up to Hemmsworth and RDJ!

But, a hero is only as good as his villain, and this film has EASILY the best villain in a Marvel film to date in Loki. I absolutely LOVED Loki and the direction they went with him. Loki shines in every scene and tricks even us. You believe Loki is doing all this to take Asgard, but it was really all about impressing his father and overshadowing his brother, who has always roamed the spotlight in the family, for once in his life. When Loki is trying to get Thor to fight him, you can see the mix of love and hate in Hiddelston's eyes. It's beautifully done, and he is a sad character. I felt REALLY sorry for Loki. I didn't want him to win, of course, but when he says to Odin "I could have done it father," as a younger brother myself, I can't help but understand that pain and isolation Loki was showing. Hiddelston does a great job, as does the script with Loki. Loki is leaps and bounds over the previous Marvel film villains. Hugo Weaving has a tough act to follow.

One of the things I always say about Iron Man is the 2nd half kind of mills aroudn with little change in Stark's character arc, and for this reason, Thor's script and overall narrative is much better. In the 1st half of Iron Man, it is paced well and the arcs are nicely done. But, once he starts building the armor at home, it stagnates. The characters in Thor are always changing and always moving forward. The only thing the script falters on is the briefness of Thor's exile to Earth. It lasts a whole 2 days, and in that 2 days, Foster convinces him Earth is great and they're in love? This would be sloppy, but Portman and Hemmsworth have such great chemistry, shoddy writing actually works and minimizes the flaw. I also don't feel like SHIELD was forced into the movie or anything in a distracting way, like Black Widow in IM2. It all made sense and worked.

This film has such great atmosphere, too. Asgard is gorgeous! The color pallete, the clothing, everything. It has such a clear and brilliant atmosphere. It sucks you in! The Frost Giants contrasting world of darkness and emptiness is also great, but in a much different way. The score for the film is also amazing. It compliments what is going on in the movie VERY well. My favorite piece of music is when Thor is having the ceremony, before it is interrupted. Great music for that moment. This film also uses a lot of tilted angles, which on Earth really work cause it adds a bit of surrealism to the events, which include a fallen God.

This film was everything I wanted out of it. Great in almost every way. His brief stay on Earth is really the only flaw of the film worth mentioning. Other than that, excellent film and Marvel's best to date! You're up next, Captain America. I hope you're up to the challenge!

4.5/5
:D nice

Can I reiterate my absolute love for the greatest scene in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far?

I NEED A HORSE!

I will never, ever tire of that scene. It's already a classic in my eyes....

I was going to write something up on it last night, but I had to get up at 7:50 and I got home at 3:30 :csad:

SSSSOOOOOOOOO worth it though :up:

Can I reiterate my absolute love for the greatest scene in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far?

I NEED A HORSE!

I will never, ever tire of that scene. It's already a classic in my eyes....
That's one of my favorite scenes, lol! :up:

Captain America looks pretty solid, but i hope it ends up measuring up to Thor and Iron Man 1, actually i'd say i hope Chris Evans can somewhat measure up to Hemsworth Thor and RDJ Iron Man.

It's just perfect and Hemsworth sells the bad place out of it with how straight he plays it.

When the Blu Ray hits, that's basically going to be on repeat forever. And somehow, I'm going to make that line my ringtone.

I love it.

I was going to write something up on it last night, but I had to get up at 7:50 and I got home at 3:30 :csad:

I got home at 2:45, whent to bed at 3:15 and woke up at 5:30. However, it was DEFINITELY worth it.

Btw, Agent Coulson truly showed how badass of a character he is in this movie.

I got home at 2:45, whent to bed at 3:15 and woke up at 5:30. However, it was DEFINITELY worth it.

Btw, Agent Coulson truly showed how badass of a character he is in this movie.

Coulson was a nice addition to the film and worked really well :up:

yeah I had a Rough but cool Thursday/Friday morning. Before going to bed I got the e-mail we were doing the Screening of Thor, was picked up at 5pm, worked at the theater from 6 to 10, went home and worked from midnight to 7am. lol

Captain America looks pretty solid, but i hope it ends up measuring up to Thor and Iron Man 1, actually i'd say i hope Chris Evans can somewhat measure up to Hemsworth Thor and RDJ Iron Man.
From what I've seen Cap will do well. I just hope the Countries that don't like the U.S. still see the film.

One of the things I always say about Iron Man is the 2nd half kind of mills aroudn with little change in Stark's character arc, and for this reason, Thor's script and overall narrative is much better. In the 1st half of Iron Man, it is paced well and the arcs are nicely done. But, once he starts building the armor at home, it stagnates. The characters in Thor are always changing and always moving forward. The only thing the script falters on is the briefness of Thor's exile to Earth. It lasts a whole 2 days, and in that 2 days, Foster convinces him Earth is great and they're in love? This would be sloppy, but Portman and Hemmsworth have such great chemistry, shoddy writing actually works and minimizes the flaw. I also don't feel like SHIELD was forced into the movie or anything in a distracting way, like Black Widow in IM2. It all made sense and worked.

This film has such great atmosphere, too. Asgard is gorgeous! The color pallete, the clothing, everything. It has such a clear and brilliant atmosphere. It sucks you in! The Frost Giants contrasting world of darkness and emptiness is also great, but in a much different way. The score for the film is also amazing. It compliments what is going on in the movie VERY well. My favorite piece of music is when Thor is having the ceremony, before it is interrupted. Great music for that moment. This film also uses a lot of tilted angles, which on Earth really work cause it adds a bit of surrealism to the events, which include a fallen God.

4.5/5

Great review!:up:

It's just perfect and Hemsworth sells the bad place out of it with how straight he plays it.

When the Blu Ray hits, that's basically going to be on repeat forever. And somehow, I'm going to make that line my ringtone.

I love it.
heh I'll tell you what, the next time the thread manager strikes I'll name the next thread, "I need a HORSE!" thread. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"