The Official Tom Welling for Superman Campaign Thread!!!

You said it didn't happen in the comics. It in fact, did. Lois dated just about everybody. There's a well known comic cover with the JL members standing in line to date her. If pressed, I can locate it for you, but if you're going to dismiss it as something pre-crisis and not of any merit in current continuity, I won't bother. The same argument could be made for pre-crisis Donner, but that didn't stop Singer.

Clark x-rayed the women's locker room in the 1st season SV episode, X-Ray. He had no clue what was happening to his vision, and he had just fallen from a gym rope. He didn't know what turned the effect on (no pun intended) and he didn't know how to turn it off. It's not like he intentionally activated his x-ray vision and snooped Lana in a closed elevator as she traversed floors, or spied on her, a fiancé and son as they went about their evening business in the privacy of their own home. This is a ridiculously dumb comparison and makes for a poor argument, IMO.

The other poor argument (IMHO) is the analogy of Adam West being cast in Batman Begins (and the related list.) That's just silly. Sorry. Welling has not played the costumed character yet, and his show is current. It's not like he played Superman in a film or show from the past and fans want to see him re-cast. In point of fact, SV is the "new" continuity. It's a continuity where Lex Luthor is a corporate mogul, driven by money and power, and the delusion of being a man of the people, even if he has to kill to achieve his goals. SR is the continuation of a continuity from 3 decades ago. It makes more sense (to me) to have Welling's modern version of Clark Kent progress into Superman and eventually meet Bale's "year one" Batman in today's comic continuity than it does for Routh's retro Superman, which was an homage to a 30 year old characterization and plot arc. But that's just me.

The TV vs. film argument doesn't hold water either, IMO. Acting is acting, whether it be on stage, television, or motion picture. If you think an actor is poor, so be it. But the medium in which he/she plays is for the most part, irrelevant. Actors go where the work is. If they have the intestinal fortitude to don the golden handcuffs of series' television, they will. Same goes for the unlucky feature thesps who get suckered into three picture deals.

And finally, the handsomeness - or lack thereof - of Welling vs. Routh is a completely subjective opinion. I do however find it ironic that the same people who felt Welling's male model looks weren't appropriate for Superman still think Routh is "hotter." Yeah, I'm looking at you, Mostpowerful.

Whatever. :whatever:

thread.jpg

Pat please dont go cause you are the only one here that understands me :D

Guys This has become a war against Smallville

There is no "war" on Smallville.

I and others here may not like it but we're giving rational opinions on why that continuity wouldn't work in movies like SR sequels and JL.

I'd be fine with movies that follow Smallville continuity but only if they are advertised as such. There's no reason it should take over the Superman movie franchise entirely.

Disagreements with Smallville will always appear in threads like this since Welling is directly tied with it for good or ill. No-one can change that.

There is no "war" on Smallville.

I and others here may not like it but we're giving rational opinions on why that continuity wouldn't work in movies like SR sequels and JL.

I'd be fine with movies that follow Smallville continuity but only if they are advertised as such. There's no reason it should take over the Superman movie franchise entirely.

Disagreements with Smallville will always appear in threads like this since Welling is directly tied with it for good or ill. No-one can change that.

Oh God you give them ears but they do not listen!!!

In JLA there is no need to address Smallville and if they make another Superman movie I have express my sentiment for it to be a Reboot with Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Aaron Ashmore and Michael Rosenbaum. Then u guys say that is 2 much baggage and u dont like Smallville and u dont like Tom then why bother Just give them $200 million dollars and this reboot will have you jumping out of your seats .

Oh God you give them ears but they do not listen!!!

In JLA there is no need to address Smallville and if they make another Superman movie I have express my sentiment for it to be a Reboot with Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Aaron Ashmore and Michael Rosenbaum. Then u guys say that is 2 much baggage and u dont like Smallville and u dont like Tom then why bother Just give them $200 million dollars and this reboot will have you jumping out of your seats .

Because they should be seperate films from the theatre releases.

Just call the movies "Smallville" with sub-titles to distinquish that they're tied to it and continue the story for the Smallville crowd. Make it direct to dvd and/or movies for television like Stargate is doing.

Just keep the real movie Superman and JL films out of it.

They would be linking JLA to Smallville if Welling is cast in that. His presence is enough for people to think the film is connected to Smallville. No getting around it. Putting all the Smallville cast together in a single movie only makes the link more obvious.

It wouldn't be a reboot if it has the Smallville actors or is directly linked to it's continuity. It would just be Smallville: The Movie.

Movie Superman doesn't need Smallville to be successful. SR didn't meet expectations but it wasn't a bomb. It can easily survive by either by continuing SR's continuity or rebooting it from scratch without Smallville's influence.

Because they would be seperate films from the theatre releases.

Just call the movies "Smallville" with sub-titles to distinquish that they're tied to it and continue the story for the Smallville crowd. make it direct to dvd and/or movies for television like Stargate is doing.

:whatever: U don't make any sense and I bet every one here agrees with that :D

Agent Pat:

Don't count on comic covers, especially classic ones, to tell you the whole story. Unless you've actually read it, of course.

Superman's had tonnes of covers where he was torturing people and humiliating his friends like Jimmy Olsen but he never was so extreme in the actual stories.

Here's a link to some of the covers: http://www.superdickery.com/
I'm well aware of that site, thank you. The point is, there's a comic correlation for just about everything that's happened in SV. But that doesn't make it right. The comics have done far worse things to Superman than SV or SR ever did, and your Jimmy Olsen example proves that. I'd rather people just say they don't like a particular characterization of Superman than use the comics as a comparison. Watching Clark Kent intentionally x-ray Lois in a closed elevator with a bizarre smile on his face skeeved me out. Watching him as Superman hover outside of her home and observe her and her family in private was shocking. Unlike the scene in X-Ray, which was clearly played for laughs as Clark had no idea what was going on, the scenes in SR where a mature Superman basically spies on his former GF were incredibly creepy to me. YMMV.

Pat please dont go cause you are the only one here that understands me :D
Thanks, Smsvmos, but these arguments aren't for me anymore. They're really a waste of time and energy, IMHO. At the end of the day, a film - like a TV show - is just a form of entertainment. If something doesn't entertain me, I won't watch it. And I most certainly won't spend money on it. When everybody learns that profit is all Hollywood cares about, we might actually get somewhere. Until then, we're all just a bunch of fanboys (and girls) arguing what floats our collective boats. Welling as Superman blows my skirt up, and I don't feel the urge or need to argue why he's my Superman anymore. Been there. Done that. Got the blue t-shirt. He just is. 'Nuf said.

Keep up the good fight. Somebody has to represent.

Okay, I'm out. Later taters. :)

It wouldn't be a reboot if it has the Smallville actors or is directly linked to it's continuity. It would just be Smallville: The Movie.

Well I prefer Smallville The Movie to Singerman 2 but thats just me and about 5 million viewers that live in the U.S alone and not counting the ppl that cant view the show live (Like me :cmad: I live in the Dominican Republic and they dont have the CW so I just missed Todays grate episode so I have to download) and plus all those ppl that buy the DVD's :D

Movie Superman doesn't need Smallville to be successful. SR didn't meet expectations but it wasn't a bomb. It can easily survive by either by continuing SR's continuity or rebooting it from scratch without Smallville's influence.

The only reason why Superman Returns made $400 million world wide was because of the name "Superman". In the premier night of Superman , do u know how many kids where in line to see it just because it was Superman? A Lot and those same kids almost fell a sleep in the theater that night.

I'm well aware of that site, thank you. The point is, there's a comic correlation for just about everything that's happened in SV. But that doesn't make it right. The comics have done far worse things to Superman than SV or SR ever did, and your Jimmy Olsen example proves that.

The covers aren't in continuity within the comics. That's my point. Everything Clark does is Smallville is in that continuity. They aren't fake outs they actually happen in the story.

I'd rather people just say they don't like a particular characterization of Superman than use the comics as a comparison.

The comics are the original source medium where Superman came from.

Watching Clark Kent intentionally x-ray Lois in a closed elevator with a bizarre smile on his face skeeved me out.
Watching him as Superman hover outside of her home and observe her and her family in private was shocking.

I didn't like it, either. But it's innocent compared to what he did in Smallville.

Unlike the scene in X-Ray, which was clearly played for laughs

You found Clark secretly peeping on Lana getting undressed funny? :confused:

as Clark had no idea what was going on,

For a second. Once he saw Lana undressing he definitely knew what was happening. We never saw him stop staring at her on camera!

the scenes in SR where a mature Superman basically spies on his former GF were incredibly creepy to me. YMMV.

How can that be creepy but Clark watching Lana, without her consent and he knew she had a boyfriend at the time, get undressed not be?

I didn't like it, either. But it's innocent compared to what he did in Smallville.

You found Clark secretly peeping on Lana getting undressed funny? :confused:

For a second. Once he saw Lana undressing he definitely knew what was happening. We never saw him stop staring at her on camera!

How can that be creepy but Clark watching Lana, without her consent and he knew she had a boyfriend at the time, get undressed not be?

God you gave them a Brain yet they still don't comprehend :whatever:

Well I prefer Smallville The Movie to Singerman 2 but thats just me and about 5 million viewers that live in the U.S alone and not counting the ppl that cant view the show live (Like me :cmad: I live in the Dominican Republic and they dont have the CW so I just missed Todays grate episode so I have to download) and plus all those ppl that buy the DVD's :D

Smallville is popular it just isn't the only popular project Superman has been successful in. I'm certain the Superman: The Animated Series cartoon did just as well.

There is no reason Smallville can't have its own movies while the Superman/JL films operate independently from it.

That way no-one gets angry, confused and everyone gets what they want.
The only reason why Superman Returns made $400 million world wide was because of the name "Superman". In the premier night of Superman , do u know how many kids where in line to see it just because it was Superman? A Lot and those same kids almost fell a sleep in the theater that night.

Exactly. It doesn't need Smallville to succeed.

Agent Pat:

Don't count on comic covers, especially classic ones, to tell you the whole story. Unless you've actually read it, of course.

Superman's had tonnes of covers where he was torturing people and humiliating his friends like Jimmy Olsen but he never was so extreme in the actual stories.

Here's a link to some of the covers: http://www.superdickery.com/

You're over looking the fact Clark never even tried looking in other directions to stop looking at Lana. It's obvious he kept staring like that for at least a few seconds without hesitating. That's intentional behavior.
Agreed and not only that I love how SV fans like to point out Superman (Routh) looking in on Lois but forget to talk about how for the first 3 seasons of SV Clark was always looking or "spying":whatever: on Lana through his telescope in his barn. And then when you bring that little fact up they always say well he wasn't Superman then and all that stuff.

I'm well aware of that site, thank you. The point is, there's a comic correlation for just about everything that's happened in SV. But that doesn't make it right. The comics have done far worse things to Superman than SV or SR ever did, and your Jimmy Olsen example proves that. I'd rather people just say they don't like a particular characterization of Superman than use the comics as a comparison. Watching Clark Kent intentionally x-ray Lois in a closed elevator with a bizarre smile on his face skeeved me out. Watching him as Superman hover outside of her home and observe her and her family in private was shocking. Unlike the scene in X-Ray, which was clearly played for laughs as Clark had no idea what was going on, the scenes in SR where a mature Superman basically spies on his former GF were incredibly creepy to me. YMMV.
You do understand that he was smiling because he know Lois was going to the roof (their old hang old spot). And once again what excuses SV Clark from spying on Lana with a telescope then SR Superman checking in on Lois, to Cain's Superman doing the same thing.

And finally, the handsomeness - or lack thereof - of Welling vs. Routh is a completely subjective opinion. I do however find it ironic that the same people who felt Welling's male model looks weren't appropriate for Superman still think Routh is "hotter." Yeah, I'm looking at you, Mostpowerful.

Whatever. :whatever:

thread.jpg

Well, yeah, it is all subjective and opinion, isn't it? I totally agree with that.

Agreed and not only that I love how SV fans like to point out Superman (Routh) looking in on Lois but forget to talk about how for the first 3 seasons of SV Clark was always looking or "spying":whatever: on Lana through his telescope in his barn. And then when you bring that little fact up they always say well he wasn't Superman then and all that stuff.

Exactly.

All of this 'Superman is a stalker in SR' is soo overblown, IMO. It was so clear to me that he did it out of concern for Lois, to see if she was really as happy as she sounded at The Planet with Richard. Superman was clearly shocked to find the love of his life 'moving on,' which he never thought it'd happen with her. Remember what he told Jimmy at the Ace O'clubs, that he thought a woman like Lois would never settle down. I love that scene, yes, because it showed how lonely Superman was, especially when he heard Lois saying that she never loved him. Do I think it was wrong from Superman to do that? Yes, but it was human and understandable in those circumstances, IMO. He had never faced something like that before, and it's not like he does it all the time. However, that didn't stop Superman from doing his duty. He went up above Earth to hear the cries of the world, and to see where he could be useful, no matter how shi*** he felt. Very compelling stuff, IMO.

And it shockes me the lenghts that some people go to find creepy when Clark watched Lois (in a very loving way) going up in the elevator, or when Supes was giving his beautiful and heartfelt speech to his son......yeah, some people just don't know what else to say to make SR look bad. :whatever: And they excuse Clark in Smallville for everything....right....

Because they should be seperate films from the theatre releases.

Just call the movies "Smallville" with sub-titles to distinquish that they're tied to it and continue the story for the Smallville crowd. Make it direct to dvd and/or movies for television like Stargate is doing.

They would be linking JLA to Smallville if Welling is cast in that. His presence is enough for people to think the film is connected to Smallville. No getting around it. Putting all the Smallville cast together in a single movie only makes the link more obvious.

I'm still so puzzled why people think if Wellings Superman in a movie everything from a TV show has to come with him. When Superman is Superman that's it, he's not going to be hanging out in his loft on the farm anymore. SV will be an afterthought especially to the GP that most could care less about the TV show and never followed it to begin with.
For those who think it has to automatically be a "SV MOVIE" then how are we going to see Superman be Superman because that part had nothing to do with the weekly TV show?

yeah...evidently, some people just don't 'get it' or don't want to get it..

Exactly.

All of this 'Superman is a stalker in SR' is soo overblown, IMO. It was so clear to me that he did it out of concern for Lois, to see if she was really as happy as she sounded at The Planet with Richard. Superman was clearly shocked to find the love of his life 'moving on,' which he never thought it'd happen with her. Remember what he told Jimmy at the Ace O'clubs, that he thought a woman like Lois would never settle down. I love that scene, yes, because it showed how lonely Superman was, especially when he heard Lois saying that she never loved him. Do I think it was wrong from Superman to do that? Yes, but it was human and understandable in those circumstances, IMO. He had never faced something like that before, and it's not like he does it all the time. However, that didn't stop Superman from doing his duty. He went up above Earth to hear the cries of the world, and to see where he could be useful, no matter how shi*** he felt. Very compelling stuff, IMO.

And it shockes me the lenghts that some people go to find creepy when Clark watched Lois (in a very loving way) going up in the elevator, or when Supes was giving his beautiful and heartfelt speech to his son......yeah, some people just don't know what else to say to make SR look bad. :whatever: And they excuse Clark in Smallville for everything....right....
First off any time an ex girl that is right in front of me with a new man and child and act happy and kiss good bye, I'm mature enough to know she's in a new relationship and I shouldn't be watching them inside their home. That is complete invasion of privacy, there's no way around it. And also the child seems happy with both parents and that's another thing to consider while thinking about watching them behind a bush. Blown out of proportion? My god why? No way, people get arrested for that, it's a fact.

And when Clark said "and take Lois, a women like Lois would never settle down" My face turned beat red and I was actually embarrassed for Routh with they way he said that, it was like watching a highschool play of a kid who had no intention of ever being an actor??? I'm still beside myself that they didn't retake that in a big budget film. It was ten times worse than the dialog he gave with Ma Kent. Though I respect your opinion I'm shocked even more that a line delivered like that was so moving to you????????

Exactly.

SV gets a pass for everything because whenever you bring up the faults of SV Clark they always say well he isn't Superman yet or well this is TV it should be different standards for a movie. Now I do like SV and think it is a good series but I hate how people like to think the can judge one thing but then say their series gets a pass all because its on TV or because he isn't Superman yet but then can go that's Superman about the other stuff. Either he is your Superman which means he can be compared to all the other Superman's or he isn't.

First off any time an ex girl that is right in front of me with a new man and child and act happy and kiss good bye, I'm mature enough to know she's in a new relationship and I shouldn't be watching them inside their home. That is complete invasion of privacy, there's no way around it. And also the child seems happy with both parents and that's another thing to consider while thinking about watching them behind a bush. Blown out of proportion? My god why? No way, people get arrested for that, it's a fact.

And when Clark said "and take Lois, a women like Lois would never settle down" My face turned beat red and I was actually embarrassed for Routh with they way he said that, it was like watching a highschool play of a kid who had no intention of ever being an actor??? I'm still beside myself that they didn't retake that in a big budget film. It was ten times worse than the dialog he gave with Ma Kent. Though I respect your opinion I'm shocked even more that a line delivered like that was so moving to you????????

:word: I LOVE the way Routh delivered that line....absolutely love it, very old school. In fact, he did a great job at delivering his lines and at emoting the emotion in all his scenes, IMO. The only scene he was mediocre, imo, is his scene with Ma Kent, but I still like it, just not as much as the rest of his scenes. He really blew me away. Sorry you didn't like him, Phil, but I never expected you to......it's so obvious why.

And on the stalking part, well, I understand the scene in a very different way than you, clearly. By the way, how did you feel when Clark in Smallville was kissing a married Lana? Please tell me.

SV gets a pass for everything because whenever you bring up the faults of SV Clark they always say well he isn't Superman yet or well this is TV it should be different standards for a movie. Now I do like SV and think it is a good series but I hate how people like to think the can judge one thing but then say their series gets a pass all because its on TV or because he isn't Superman yet but then can go that's Superman about the other stuff. Either he is your Superman which means he can be compared to all the other Superman's or he isn't.

Word.

You guys are correct we should give Superman Returns another chance since from what I hear Brainiac is coming in the new movie. That is really exciting and they also say that Brainiac has the perfect plan to bring Superman down and out. Here is the Plot:

"After Superman survives his near death experience at the hands of Lex Luthor, Superman comes back more powerful an determine than ever and also wants to make do for all the time lost with Lois and his child. But Richard does not see it that way and wants to take revenge on the Man of Steel and a mysterious person comes to his aid and Is no other than Brainiac. Brainiac a computer generated being from the planet Krypton comes to earth in the same ship as Superman did after his return to earth and now he develops a plan to infiltrate the governments computer and make Superman pay for all those years that he didn't take care of Jason so now the government indites Superman for not paying his child pension but not only that, Richard wants his money back. Now superman is in a dilemma to pay the government back. What is our hero to do? wait and see in a movie directed by Bryan Singer coming 2010 Superman The Man of Steel "

now this sound grate :D

I'm still so puzzled why people think if Wellings Superman in a movie everything from a TV show has to come with him.

Because that's the burden he took on once he became Smallville's Clark Kent. He can't escape it.

If people see Welling in a Superman costume they're going to always think he's the Clark who grew up on the tv show. He can't stop that. It's already done.

If SV's mythos doesn't come with Welling there is no point for him to be in the role at all. They can get someone else for Superman and not only would it be much easier for the audience to understand it's not connected to SV, no-one thought Routh's was, but they won't be burdened by SV presence hanging over the movie.

When Superman is Superman that's it, he's not going to be hanging out in his loft on the farm anymore.

There are many different versions of Superman. Even in the same mediums. Some act different from others. They're all unique in their little ways.

It doesn't matter if Welling's Kent becomes Superman he's always going to be tied to SVs mythos. SV's history won't just disappear once he puts the costume on.

SV will be an afterthought especially to the GP that most could care less about the TV show and never followed it to begin with.

Smallville isn't going to be an after thought if Welling or any actors from SV show up. They're identified with SV forever with it just like Routh, Spacey and Bosworth are with SR.

For those who think it has to automatically be a "SV MOVIE" then how are we going to see Superman be Superman because that part had nothing to do with the weekly TV show?

I've already explained how it can do that without taking over the film franchise. Smallville can have its own movies where that Clark becomes Superman. They could even do a new spin-off tv show with Welling as Superman that picks off after Smallville ends.

Because that's the burden he took on once he became Smallville's Clark Kent. He can't escape it.

If people see Welling in a Superman costume they're going to always think he's the Clark who grew up on the tv show. He can't stop that. It's already done.

If SV's mythos doesn't come with Welling there is no point for him to be in the role at all. They can get someone else for Superman and not only would it be much easier for the audience to understand it's not connected to SV, no-one thought Routh's was, but they won't be burdened by SV presence hanging over the movie.

There are many different versions of Superman. Even in the same mediums. Some act different from others. They're all unique in their little ways.

It doesn't matter if Welling's Kent becomes Superman he's always going to be tied to SVs mythos. SV's history won't just disappear once he puts the costume on.

Smallville isn't going to be an after thought if Welling or any actors from SV show up. They're identified with SV forever with it just like Routh, Spacey and Bosworth are with SR.

I've already explained how it can do that without taking over the film franchise. Smallville can have its own movies where that Clark becomes Superman. They could even do a new spin-off tv show with Welling as Superman that picks off after Smallville ends.

:whatever: I just dont get it :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"