The Official WONDER WOMAN Discussion Thread - Part 4

Oh, well, that's odd. Is she at least fat or chubby?

She skinny, black, and has freckles :/

Well, okay.

She was obviously influenced from the WW pilot.

i could care less about them making her black....but they made her skinny? what the hell?

Just like they did to Amanda Waller :(

Because apparently only skinny women are allowed

They shoulda made her chubby but sexy as well. The original Etta was a major horndog...there's all kinds of ways you can update the classic version of her and make it work.

Wonder Woman should be soooo easy to make popular in this more open and sexually liberated time. I just don't get it.

Even if you did get a great series that embraces WWs core ideas, it'd still be an incredibly uphill battle with the current state of the market.

They shoulda made her chubby but sexy as well. The original Etta was a major horndog...there's all kinds of ways you can update the classic version of her and make it work.

Wonder Woman should be soooo easy to make popular in this more open and sexually liberated time. I just don't get it.

I think there's always a tepidness to trying to make something overtly sexual in as serious manner. Stuff like Starfire's and Catwoman's recent flings on paper is about as far as people are willing to go, and it's more so to titillate quickly than anything. And, really, you just have people who either don't really get it, or don't care enough to try and get it. Every time I read anything about current writers talking about trying to modernize Marston's ideas, it kind of amazes me how much of them really seem to miss the point, or just kind of dismiss it. Even Grant Morrison, who I generally consider one of the higher brow writers when it comes to modernizing concepts, acts like it breaks his mind.

I don't know myself. I have a lot of ideas that I'd love to utilize if I ever break into the industry. So, maybe I'll have to eat my words if I ever do and it goes down in flames, but I don't get it myself.

Even if you did get a great series that embraces WWs core ideas, it'd still be an incredibly uphill battle with the current state of the market.

That's true, but to be fair, they've never really tried to seriously modernize Wonder Woman's core in a long time. We don't know really what the state would actually hold. I mean, look at Superman right now. With Action Comics, Grant Morrison is taking a serious attempt at trying to make a more modern version of the Golden Age material, and it's been a success both commercially and critically. I'm sure there's people who would've tried to make a case that was outdated and such.

Last edited:
They made Etta a black woman, but didn't keep her chubby? But everyone loves a sassy fat black lady.

I think its simply too cowardly to do anything like that with Wonder Woman

Which is a real shame

You hit the nail on the head when you said that Wonder woman needs to be marketed toward lgbt fans and the fetish set it would be fab direction to take the character in but I think DC are always going to be too gutless to do that with one of their really famous characters

They need to look no further than here for inspiration:

ladygaga-pokerface-lupus.jpg

This is the audience for Wonder Woman in 2012. This is a HUGE market and she is made to sell to it. You'd think the same corporate types who turned Captain Marvel into a generic character could see this if an old fart with a computer like me can see it.

Mysti was right when she said DC was gutless. They don't know how to present Wonder Woman, they're too scared to embrace the frakier side to her origins, and they're too scared to try something new. This is the company that chickened out at the last minute and decided not to publish an advertised issue of Superman that used a Muslim character created 20 years ago.

Yeah, they're corporate as hell. Pretty weak. Even Batwoman turned out so good just because Greg Rucka got on the book and made a real character out of her.

They need to look no further than here for inspiration:

This is the audience for Wonder Woman in 2012. This is a HUGE market and she is made to sell to it. You'd think the same corporate types who turned Captain Marvel into a generic character could see this if an old fart with a computer like me can see it.
I would like to see that just to see the legion of comic book fans complain about how inaccurate WW is even though it's really not. :o

You know oddly enough Frank Miller of all people had a series planned that would have explored a lot of that fetish side of WW. I imagine that would have done pretty well commercially.

Miller would've taken it too far. There's a way to play around with fetishes while still writing a well-rounded character, but Miller would just turn Wonder Woman into Wanton ****e.

Miller takes everything too far haha
Yet it'd still probably sell like hotcakes

I think if Miller wrote a WW comic, blood and semen would have a larger role in the comic than WW herself. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"