The Official Zack Snyder Thread - Part 3

No, obviously not. I was saying that I don't think those tactics in a movie mean the director is not talented... It's just a matter of taste.
Tactics aren't the issue. The success rate is. As with most things in art, there are not really concrete rules....just established principles and conventions that most people follow. As always, there are artists that defy these rules and still manage to create compelling and brilliant works....but they are the exceptions. It's also not a bad thing if you need to follow more traditional structure. Many of the greatest filmmakers do.

I never quite understood this type of hypothetical question. Taking away a piece of an entity's identity, effectively alters its whole to the point where it wouldn't be what it originally was. So why bother asking?
It's a common and faulty form of criticism towards visual FX driven films that has never made any sense honestly. You almost might as well as what Star Wars would have been without John Williams Score, or what Lord of the Rings would have been without the amazing cinematography.
There are plenty of films that depend on their visual fx to tell their stories that are exceptionally good.

I'm a big fan of Snyder but Sucker Punch was by no means a good film. There were many moments I enjoyed but overall it just didn't work and had very uninteresting characters. I'm still on Snyder's wagon of course...

Last edited:
somehow i think he has a certain artistic flare to his movie, much like what you see in watchmen, i hope he can recreate that and give us a superman with a new contemporary take but yet true to the comics. And i do hope he cuts down on the slow mo. LOL

somehow i think he has a certain artistic flare to his movie, much like what you see in watchmen, i hope he can recreate that and give us a superman with a new contemporary take but yet true to the comics. And i do hope he cuts down on the slow mo. LOL

Dude I really think he will. I just came from the IMDB Man of Steel page and his crew has me really looking forward to this. Awesome assembly of talent. I also watched a behind the scenes vid of Watchmen and its graphic novel artist was so pleased about how Synder brought so much attention to detail to the movie from the book. Even though I've read the book and seen how much the movie mirrors it for myself, it was nice to hear the artist of the novel so excited about Zack. Plus I've been listening to Tyler Bates' music as I type this and I am officially a fan.

Well, some of Snyder's usual crew is not involved, so dont expect Bates to be either. But in that case, I'd rather Snyder brought in David Hirschfelder who scored Legend of the Guardians. But that's another thread.

Dude I really think he will. I just came from the IMDB Man of Steel page and his crew has me really looking forward to this. Awesome assembly of talent. I also watched a behind the scenes vid of Watchmen and its graphic novel artist was so pleased about how Synder brought so much attention to detail to the movie from the book. Even though I've read the book and seen how much the movie mirrors it for myself, it was nice to hear the artist of the novel so excited about Zack. Plus I've been listening to Tyler Bates' music as I type this and I am officially a fan.

Exactly. Besides, with Christopher Nolan producing, its going to be Epic, honestly I really wished Zack Snyder would've done Green Lantern instead. It would've been such an epic film. We could've gotten much more action and much more scenes in OA fosho.

Exactly. Besides, with Christopher Nolan producing, its going to be Epic, honestly I really wished Zack Snyder would've done Green Lantern instead. It would've been such an epic film. We could've gotten much more action and much more scenes in OA fosho.

ya after watching Green Lantern, i immediately thought that wouldve been a good movie for Snyder to do. I think they goofed up going with a director who has basically little experience with that much CGI. But i am still happy he is working on Superman.

You know, I hope he doesn't take ALL his style out of this film.

Yes, he needs to tone down, but I feel like he's been chosen based on his previous successes and how he approaches certain things, so I hope he isn't so afraid of gettin it wrong that he just pulls out this entirely conventional, visually predictable film in order to play it safe.

But then he doesn't strike me as someone who would ever make a movie that he didn't have a bit of creative fun with, even if he is respecting the expectations that are upon him and pulling himself back a bit.

I really like his style myself... the extreme close ups that he does. I love the close up of Leonidas' eyes as he's thinking about the Persian messenger.

I think visually Snyder is one talented director and right now more then anything superman needs some help visually. In terms of the story there are so many great ideas to cherry pick from because its been done so many times that I would give the benefit to goyer that he has really pulled those out.

I love his style too.

In fact, watching 300 was the first time I really felt a film looked like art without employing tactics like Sin City or Scanner Darkly did and actually making it look like a painting.

I love the slow mo, I love the use of colour and the use of music in all his films. I love Snyder's energy in interviews, like an excited nerdy school kid who can't get his words out... it's that enthusiasm that gets me enthusiastic about everything he does. I love that he uses simple, beautiful, almost cliched phrases like 'There's nothing wrong with dreams' as a theme for a film, and is not ashamed to be that innocent and leave it at that, instead of trying to add in something more 'profound'.

I don't think MOS in anyone elses hands would make me as excited.

I seriously doubt that anyone in Hollywood understands Superman in the way that I do, and i've sort of accepted that. But at least with Snyder, I know I am going to get a Superman I am going to enjoy watching, regardless of whether the storyline is to my fan 'tastes' or not. Because it's going to look gorgeous, it's going to have wonderful pacing, the music is going to be perfectly timed to heighten the emotional moments, and it's going to be the best Superman fight scenes we have ever seen, and likely could have ever dreamed of :D

he crafts some beautiful scenes his whole manhattan origin was a thing of beauty

Snyder's New York in Watchmen is what Gotham City should look like.

From the official pic we see that the suit is very textured and the background is clearly all CGI.

Snyder's style through and through.

Only two of Snyder's movies have had all CGI backgrounds (not including Legend Of The Guardians which is an animated film)

Watchmen was filmed on sets and only had the same amount of CGI environments as most blockbusters have.

I'm a big fan of Snyder but Sucker Punch was by no means a good film. There were many moments I enjoyed but overall it just didn't work and had very uninteresting characters. I'm still on Snyder's wagon of course...

I'm one of the few who greatly enjoyed Sucker Punch. I thought it was a great film.

JAK®;21116219 said:
Only two of Snyder's movies have had all CGI backgrounds (not including Legend Of The Guardians which is an animated film)

Watchmen was filmed on sets and only had the same amount of CGI environments as most blockbusters have.

I don't mean a movie with all CG. I simply mean the style of it. Snyder's last four movies all have a very distinctive style about them that was accomplished with CGI. Look at the color palette and backgrounds in Watchmen. Very stylized in a dark way. The Superman pic looks the same way. The colors, the smoke, the glossy CG background. I am immediately reminded of the scenery and colors of Ozmandias's Antarctic lair. Definitely Snyder's.

But didn't Snyder say this would be his most realistic looking movie or something like that? So I can't base the entire movie off that one picture, but what we see is clearly very stylized. Not a single background in Nolan's, or say, Bryan Singer's comic book movies look anything like the background in our first official pic.

JAK®;21116219 said:

In Sucker Punch the backgrounds were only CG in dream sequences/outdoors too. Most of the movie was in the institution.

Look at the color palette and backgrounds in Watchmen. Very stylized in a dark way.
Watchmen's colour palette was lifted straight from the comics, which also had a distinctive look. Purples, greens and browns as opposed to the standard primary colouring of the time.

JAK®;21116493 said:
Watchmen's colour palette was lifted straight from the comics, which also had a distinctive look. Purples, greens and browns as opposed to the standard primary colouring of the time.

And why is that? Because Snyder chose to make it that way. He could have chose to make it real worldly like Nolan or Singer clearly would have done. I only hope this movie is more stylized than not in its tone.

I'm one of the few who greatly enjoyed Sucker Punch. I thought it was a great film.

I finally saw it last week. The visuals were fantastic in every way....but the story did nothing for me.

And why is that? Because Snyder chose to make it that way. He could have chose to make it real worldly like Nolan or Singer clearly would have done. I only hope this movie is more stylized than not in its tone.
I'm just saying, let's not try to make it sound as if Snyder imposes his style on everything. A lot of people say that ruined Watchmen when it was already a part of it in the first place.

JAK®;21116617 said:
I'm just saying, let's not try to make it sound as if Snyder imposes his style on everything. A lot of people say that ruined Watchmen when it was already a part of it in the first place.

I want Snyder to impose his style on every aspect of this movie. Because if he doesn't, and he makes it look real worldly (and it's a good movie), people are going to give less credit to him and more credit to Nolan. Hell it is happening already, I've seen people say it was Nolan who deserves credit for the casting of the movie and if it's good it will be because of him and not Snyder. What better way for Snyder to prove it's his movie than to make it his movie (it that makes any sense):oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"