The Rank and Rate Man of Steel thread

In fact the last two Nolan-impregnated efforts TDKR and this gave the curious sense of lots of information, but not a whole lot happening. It felt both too slow and too short at the same time. Kind of a cool trick, actually. :)

My only issue is there are OBVIOUS spots where scenes were cut.

TDK 10/10
TASM 8.5/10
MOS 8/10
TDKR 8/10
IM1 7.5/10

The Avengers 5/10

Last edited:
You know....superman 3 and 4 were so bad that they're entertaining to watch. MOS was just depressingly bad.

I am sorry, but I don't understand.

Thematically, Man Of Steel is the best supes film ever.

Yes, it crammed in action and ridded itself of any camp after SUPERMAN RETURNS. I dont see what the problem is.

Only issue that is there is a slight sense that it could have been just a tad more. Good action, original stories and strong themes but you would expect a 9/10 or better but its only a 7.5.

But to say this is dumb would be to say that pretty much every Marvel film is ******ed, because thematically, only two superhero films have this film beat - the final 2 TDK films.

TBH I don't see how one could try and argue Batman Begins was better than this, and I love BB.

I don't even have it in me to debate you on that right now. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how such a horrible film, such a horrible superman film, could even exist. I'm not even sure if anything about this movie is worth debating. It was just shockingly bad.

I don't even have it in me to debate you on that right now. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how such a horrible film, such a horrible superman film, could even exist. I'm not even sure if anything about this movie is worth debating. It was just shockingly bad.
really interested to know what pissed u off to the level of 7th hell? worse than SIII & SIV???

because superman didn't do the crowd pleasing saving acts?

i wonder if you r watching the same movie.

wait...

you r a writer yourself. you already set a perfect superman movie in your mind. if it doesn't met yours, it sucks?

Give motown some time to process his thoughts and state why he feels that way. Perhaps he is just tired after the buildup to the event and then seeing it/disliking it has him a bit perplexed to expand on his thoughts.

Give motown some time to process his thoughts and state why he feels that way. Perhaps he is just tired after the buildup to the event and then seeing it/disliking it has him a bit perplexed to expand on his thoughts.

Yeah, he seems pretty hurt by it...and I can honestly understand some of that....I could see some ardent Superman fans really taking issue with some of the reinterpretations in this story version. But as much as I want Superman fans to enjoy their material, as a film I think I'm pretty fair in finding it serviceable but ultimately rather forgettable. There amongst a crowd, but not a standout.

Yeah, he seems pretty hurt by it...and I can honestly understand some of that....I could see some ardent Superman fans really taking issue with some of the reinterpretations in this story version. But as much as I want Superman fans to enjoy their material, as a film I think I'm pretty fair in finding it serviceable but ultimately rather forgettable. There amongst a crowd, but not a standout.
but, nevertheless still the best superman film ever made. :D

9/10

The best film of the year so far. But alas, not a 10/10. It didn't have that edge that my ten spots have (The Dark Knight, The Avengers) I didnt feel my ass falling out of my seat due to coolness with MoS.

Not for lack of trying either. I felt a huge grin at several points in the film. Every bit of action was phenomenal. My personal favorite scene was [blackout]supes learning to fly[/blackout]

As far as rankings go...

CBMs:
10 - The Dark Knight
10 - The Avengers
9 - Batman Begins
9 - Amazing Spider-Man
9 - Man of Steel
9 - Incredible Hulk

Zach Snyder:
9 - Man of Steel
8 - Watchmen
8 - 300
7 - Sucker Punch

2013 films:
9 - Man of Steel
9 - Star Trek Into Darkness
8 - Iron Man 3
7 - Oblivion
5 - Oz the Great and Powerful

Superman films:
9 - Man of Steel
6 - Superman II
5 - Superman
4 - Superman IV
3 - Superman III
2 - Superman Returns

So obviously pretty high. Honestly what it was truly missing was a send-off. Like Joker's card in BB, or Nick Fury in Iron Man, Tony Stark in Incredible Hulk, Oscorp in Amazing Spider-Man. Honestly anything would've sufficed, but I really wanted to see the back of Lex's head, or something to that effect.

I really don't understand the bad reviews though. Truly baffled.

And I definitely agree here.

Last edited:

No. Somehow, in trying to get 'away' finally from the Donner vision (which I applaud them for doing), it further cemented STM up there as the definitive Superman movie (thus far). Even in being as old as it is. This movie felt more like a guest-starring episode.

Keep in mind...I liked a lot of the story ideas in MOS...but the delivery was just very choppy and non-resonant. And that's what Donner's did in spades, even with primitive effects and campiness....embed the 'mythology', so to speak.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I cannot wait to see it again. The only thing that disappoints me is the really negative reception from critics and some fans.

8.5-9/10 (I need to see it again)

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Avengers
3. Batman Begins
4. Iron Man
5. Man of Steel

No. Somehow, in trying to get 'away' finally from the Donner vision (which I applaud them for doing), it further cemented STM up there as the definitive Superman movie (thus far). Even in being as old as it is. This movie felt more like a guest-starring episode.

Keep in mind...I liked a lot of the story ideas in MOS...but the delivery was just very choppy and non-resonant. And that's what Donner's did in spades, even with primitive effects and campiness....embed the 'mythology', so to speak.

to each it owns.

STM n SII are excellent but just too much campiness and too silly the villains.

i have a tough time to decide on Cavill and Reeve though. and that speaks a lot.

to each it owns.

i have a tough time to decide on Cavill and Reeve though. and that speaks a lot.

Cavill I liked quite a bit, and felt he could have done even better in a better film.

to each it owns.

Cavill has a lot on his side. Writing, costume, effects. Possibly even acting skill. Reeve is very iconic. But in my opinion Cavill is far more likable. In the same way Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker is more likable than Tobey Maguire's. Maybe the character was or wasn't originally created that way, but it makes for a more entertaining film.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I cannot wait to see it again. The only thing that disappoints me is the really negative reception from critics and some fans.

8.5-9/10 (I need to see it again)

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Avengers
3. Batman Begins
4. Iron Man
5. Man of Steel

As far as Superhero movies go, I think Xmen and Spiderman (1&2) also go before MOS on that list.

As far as Superhero movies go, I think Xmen and Spiderman (1&2) also go before MOS on that list.

Just my personal preference. I do really like the first two Spider-Man movies though. I... have some problems with X-Men. First Class is probably my favorite of those films and is definitely in my top ten.

Cavill I liked quite a bit, and felt he could have done even better in a better film.
and how about General Zod? he was written so much better than STM n SII.
i think General Zod is a tragic character. he did all he can to protect Krypton... and then went all the way to find clark to revive Krypton. and he failed in the end.
somehow i feel sorry for him. when he realised that he had failed and left alone. the frustration and the anger...

the ending is so emotional for me... i almost cried for him. lol

9/10 for me. Absolutely loved it. Best adaption of Superman on film (especially in regards to recent comic story-tellings) bar-none. Overly happy.

and how about General Zod? he was written so much better than STM n SII.
i think General Zod is a tragic character. he did all he can to protect Krypton... and then went all the way to find clark to revive Krypton. and he failed in the end.
somehow i feel sorry for him. when he realised that he had failed and left alone. the frustration and the anger...

the ending is so emotional for me... i almost cried for him. lol

Again, I liked the story ideas as concepts...but I felt they were let down by the execution. As one poster here put it, Zod/Shannon did get a bit silly with the "activate the neutron ionizer" stuff. Basically, both he and Jor-El could have been a lot more interesting if their pasts didn't have to be sped through to get to the Superman stuff.

Zod wasn't necessarily badly done, but felt kinda' underdeveloped for the sake of playing the bad guy.

Basically, both he and Jor-El could have been a lot more interesting if their pasts didn't have to be sped through to get to the Superman stuff.

I read the word "pasts" as "pants." I thought things got weird in here for a second. It's time for me to go to bed.

Again, I liked the story ideas as concepts...but I felt they were let down by the execution. As one poster here put it, Zod/Shannon did get a bit silly with the "activate the neutron ionizer" stuff. Basically, both he and Jor-El could have been a lot more interesting if their pasts didn't have to be sped through to get to the Superman stuff.

Zod wasn't necessarily badly done, but felt kinda' underdeveloped for the sake of playing the bad guy.
well, u need bad guy in a superhero movie. but ZOd is with mission and vision. unlike the avengers. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"