Days of Future Past The Rotten Tomatoes Score Prediction Thread - Part 1

The Quicksilver kitchen sequence is pretty great and its pretty obvious that its one of the things that stood out for the critics. Also, a lot of the mutants getting killed in the future is something has never really done in the comic-book films and they were killed in a brutal way. I don't think I can remember any CB film that killed so many characters at the start of the film and in the climax, not even X3. And things like Magneto carrying the stadium, the slow-motion scene during the boardroom scene. Then there's the time travel. The post-credits scene also featured spectacle.

The X-Men films aren't just bombarded by action for every single minute like the Transformers films but that doesn't mean they lack in spectacle.

The main spectacle in DoFP was

1) Quicksilver kitchen sequence
2) Magneto moving stadium

Next we have Storm/Magneto blowing up the X-jet. That was pretty cool, especially as the jet moves over Storm's head while she is 'powered up' with white eyes and electricity flickering down her arm.

Then we have smaller moments like Magneto stopping the metal debris from the jet and sealing the monastery door with metal wreckage, Blink's portals, Iceman's ice slides, Sunspot's first power display. And the visual moment of the opening scene where we go through a hole in the Empire State Building to see a ravaged New York.

Like I said, I love the film, but I find the X-movies sometimes hold back a little. It feels like they are being 'careful'...

I hope we see them cut loose in Apocalypse, but if we have just young student Jean, Scott and Storm, then they wouldn't be experienced and at the peak of their powers yet, so I'm not banking on it

I get what your saying but you have to be careful as a film maker, you dont want to end up with the cliched leveling a city because it looks good routine, look at the stick MoS got for having too many buildings destroyed in the final act of that film. You have to care about the characters first otherwise all the destruction in the world doesnt mean jack. Its a fine line to walk.

I think though they are going for that more what you want though in Apocalypse though, they've already labeled it as a disaster movie so I that sort of implies the level of destruction and chaos will be on a level as yet unseen in an xmen film at least.

Just hope they can get that balance right but we know at least when they do go for it, like the future fight scenes in DOFP, its as good as anything else around at the moment. But thats one thing Xmen films have generally been great at, making you give a damn about the lead's and in some cases the smaller roles too.

By their own words they will have more destrucon In Apocalypse.

I feel confident Bryan Singer won't let characters get lost.

My hope Is it's a bit like the future action sequenzes of DOFP only mutant vs Mutant on a longer scale and of course with less deaths.When you have some people caring In DOFP about death of storm despite a large circle of people on Internet who complain about Halle Berry playing storm you have done your job.

The Quicksilver kitchen sequence is pretty great and its pretty obvious that its one of the things that stood out for the critics. Also, a lot of the mutants getting killed in the future is something has never really done in the comic-book films and they were killed in a brutal way. I don't think I can remember any CB film that killed so many characters at the start of the film and in the climax, not even X3. And things like Magneto carrying the stadium, the slow-motion scene during the boardroom scene. Then there's the time travel. The post-credits scene also featured spectacle.

The X-Men films aren't just bombarded by action for every single minute like the Transformers films but that doesn't mean they lack in spectacle.

The Quicksilver scene was excellent, however the killing the mutants in the future was in all honesty not the spectacle it could have been because many of the mutants were seen for the first time in the film and thus the audience had no connection to them at all. It also was no help that the scenes moved so fast that there wasn't any real build up to the deaths, and everyone knew Wolverine would make it back so the future was going to change anyway. And that Magneto scene was "been there done that" nothing new. The films do lack in spectacle and like I said before that's a true crime when you have so many mutants with so many different powers.

Last edited:
agreed with XManiac and CB fan. The action was cool, but nowhere near the epic level of movies like Star Wars, Avatar and so.

I get what your saying but you have to be careful as a film maker, you dont want to end up with the cliched leveling a city because it looks good routine, look at the stick MoS got for having too many buildings destroyed in the final act of that film. You have to care about the characters first otherwise all the destruction in the world doesnt mean jack. Its a fine line to walk.

I think though they are going for that more what you want though in Apocalypse though, they've already labeled it as a disaster movie so I that sort of implies the level of destruction and chaos will be on a level as yet unseen in an xmen film at least.

Just hope they can get that balance right but we know at least when they do go for it, like the future fight scenes in DOFP, its as good as anything else around at the moment. But thats one thing Xmen films have generally been great at, making you give a damn about the lead's and in some cases the smaller roles too.

I certainly don't want an overly destructive sequence like the one at the end of Man of Steel. That was fatiguing to watch, and excessive!

But 'spectacle' doesn't have to mean huge sweeping scenes of collateral destruction. I just would like to see some of the more powerful mutants take it up a notch at times. It's as though the characters don't know their own potential.

The global destruction people think we will get in X-Men: Apocalypse will be fine if it's innovative and if mutants are the ones doing it - in interesting ways.

Last edited:
I certainly don't want an overly destructive sequence like the one at the end of Man of Steel. That was fatiguing to watch, and excessive!

But 'spectacle' doesn't have to mean huge sweeping scenes of collateral destruction. I just would like to see some of the more powerful mutants take it up a notch at times. It's as though the characters don't know their own potential.

The global destruction people think we will get in X-Men: Apocalypse will be fine if it's innovative and if mutants are the ones doing it - in interesting ways.

Spot on, I'm with you, hope we can see them take things to a new level in interesting ways without falling into obvious traps. Have good faith though after DOFP they will get it right.

Like I said, I love the film, but I find the X-movies sometimes hold back a little. It feels like they are being 'careful'...

The thing is you're mentioning this "lack of spectacle" in the Rotten Tomatoes thread. I'll understand you if you posted this at the box-office thread because more spectacle could mean more $$$ at the box-office but no. I don't think the critics who gave this a mixed or negative review criticized the film for lack of spectacle, but because of the story and a lot of things going on.

Yes, the rescue Rogue sequence would have added more *spectacle* especially if that sequence is similar to the leaked script. But in my opinion, if that scene was kept, the Rotten Tomatoes rating of this film would have been lowered like 1 to 3 points considering Singer's comment of that scene being 'extraneous'. If Singer felt that scene was extraneous, how about the critics?

And yes, I felt like the X-Men movies held back when it comes to action sequences but the great thing about is, they always have a chance to step it up and do something different (action wise) in the next movie. And since they are already labeling Apocalypse as a disaster film, you would get the spectacle that you are asking.

The thing is you're mentioning this "lack of spectacle" in the Rotten Tomatoes thread. I'll understand you if you posted this at the box-office thread because more spectacle could mean more $$$ at the box-office but no. I don't think the critics who gave this a mixed or negative review criticized the film for lack of spectacle, but because of the story and a lot of things going on.

Yes, the rescue Rogue sequence would have added more *spectacle* especially if that sequence is similar to the leaked script. But in my opinion, if that scene was kept, the Rotten Tomatoes rating of this film would have been lowered like 1 to 3 points considering Singer's comment of that scene being 'extraneous'. If Singer felt that scene was extraneous, how about the critics?

And yes, I felt like the X-Men movies held back when it comes to action sequences but the great thing about is, they always have a chance to step it up and do something different (action wise) in the next movie. And since they are already labeling Apocalypse as a disaster film, you would get the spectacle that you are asking.

I just mentioned it in here as a spin-off from the discussion about GoTG, whose reviews mention the visual splendour as part of the appeal.

It's a fair point that none of the DoFP reviews (at least the ones that I saw) directly criticised it for lack of spectacle. But some said it was "overly talky" and had "no zip" and that does point towards the same sort of thing I'm saying: that the series needs to be a bit more punchy, thrilling and less ponderous.

I just mentioned it in here as a spin-off from the discussion about GoTG, whose reviews mention the visual splendour as part of the appeal.

It's a fair point that none of the DoFP reviews (at least the ones that I saw) directly criticised it for lack of spectacle. But some said it was "overly talky" and had "no zip" and that does point towards the same sort of thing I'm saying: that the series needs to be a bit more punchy, thrilling and less ponderous.

And that film already has a lower RT rating compare to what DOFP got. I would have like more *spectacle* and I would have prefered the action sequences in the future to be longer but it is what it is. At the end of the day, we got a film that is critical acclaimed.

Down to 91%, RT just counted the review from Forbes that was posted a few months ago.

That is so unfair. That's probably the last review thats going to be counted. I really wanted that 92%

Now thats what you call a late review.

Bit academic now.

That sucks. Was 92% for ages and now it changes. Pah!

How many more positives to go back up then?

Wait how many reviews do Forbes get, can they not make they're mind up or something, have they been asleep for three months lol :oldrazz::woot:

They were written by different staff members. And those reviews were published during the release week of the film, I kinda find it weird that its only counted just now.

Anyway, its gonna take a long while before DOFP gets another 4 fresh reviews, maybe after the home media release?

On RT movies get reviews years after their theatrical release so it's nothing new that DOFP just another review, and once the DVD comes out it will recieve some more reviews.

Who the hell cares about RT? I don't understand

The people in the RT score prediction thread...

Some use it for bragging rights that their fav film was highly reviewed by critics and some just like to use it to see what the consensus on a film is.

91% and even 90% are still top scores for Rotten Tomatoes. I have no problem with a 91%, in fact I even figured by the end of the year the movie would be either 91% or 92%. Same goes for many movies on RT, the score either moves down one percent point or remains the same after late reviews get added. I for one didn't think this movie would get critical acclaim, and I figured the score would have been between 70% to 88% based on past X-Men movies. To see it at 91% is better than what I was comfortable with prior to all the reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"