Comics The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks fine to me. There's nothing about it that looks like "fanboy effort." It just looks classic and clean.

I guess... for some reason, it just looks weird to me... like SOMETHING about it just doesn't look right... but it's a minor thing to me, really... maybe it's the way Doc looks in the sidebox, who knows?... screw it, the cover's STILL a pretty clever homage regardless...

Not sure where I should post this but here it goes anyway.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this...can someone give me some recommendations for good Spidey comics to read?

I've got the first couple of Marvel Masterworks and I've enjoyed them. I'm really not sure what else I could or should be reading though. The new Superior doesn't look that appealing to me. I guess what I'm trying to ask...are there any Spidey stories that you have read that you would highly recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :yay:

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this...can someone give me some recommendations for good Spidey comics to read?

I've got the first couple of Marvel Masterworks and I've enjoyed them. I'm really not sure what else I could or should be reading though. The new Superior doesn't look that appealing to me. I guess what I'm trying to ask...are there any Spidey stories that you have read that you would highly recommend?

Big Time Ultimate Collection

Kraven's Last Hunt

Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection

These are just some, I'm quite behind and all over the place in Spidey comics myself. But the Ultimate Collections Marvel has out there is a lot of bang for your buck.

You should give Superior a chance it's actually pretty good.

And as for older stories, The Death of Jean DeWolf, Spider-Island, Maximum Carnage, and Ends of the Earth are all pretty good off the top of my head. I'd also suggest reading JMS' entire run, which was pretty good with the exception of The Other, that horrible and disgusting Sins Past storyline, and of course, One More Day.

Nope. You're good!

JK LOL

...But seriously

get the two Amazing Spidey Omnis or the first seven or eight Spidey masterworks for some classic, uncluttered and enjoyable reads...

Those are pretty impossible to get now short of paying several hundred dollars.

I've always enjoyed the series that was Spider-Man's Tangled Web

A lot of my other recommendations have already been mentioned

Get the 11 editions of Essential Spider-Man... covers you to ASM #1 to past #200... :up:

:yay:

Big Time Ultimate Collection

Kraven's Last Hunt

Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection

These are just some, I'm quite behind and all over the place in Spidey comics myself. But the Ultimate Collections Marvel has out there is a lot of bang for your buck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd thought about reading Ultimate but I'm a bit apprehensive since quite a few people seem to hold it in low regard. Eh, who knows, I may end up liking it so I'll try the first collection.

You should give Superior a chance it's actually pretty good.

And as for older stories, The Death of Jean DeWolf, Spider-Island, Maximum Carnage, and Ends of the Earth are all pretty good off the top of my head. I'd also suggest reading JMS' entire run, which was pretty good with the exception of The Other, that horrible and disgusting Sins Past storyline, and of course, One More Day.

I may end up giving Superior a chance but I'm gonna try some other things that appeal to me more. Again though, thank you for the suggestions. :woot:

Nope. You're good!

JK LOL

...But seriously

Yes, seriously. :cwink:

I've always enjoyed the series that was Spider-Man's Tangled Web

A lot of my other recommendations have already been mentioned

Tangled web?? I'll have to look that one up...which universe is that from? Amazing?

Get the 11 editions of Essential Spider-Man... covers you to ASM #1 to past #200... :up:

Is essential the same thing as the Marvel Masterworks? Cause I've got several of those and I think the last issue I read through was #160 something. It's been awhile, I'll have to check to remember.

why don't you get Essentials spiderman? It's cheap, and there are a lot of stories.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd thought about reading Ultimate but I'm a bit apprehensive since quite a few people seem to hold it in low regard. Eh, who knows, I may end up liking it so I'll try the first collection.
Not sure where you're reading. Most people love Ultimate. Probably the best Spidey title of the last two decades honestly.

What are the pros and cons to the Ultimate series?
Um, there are a lot of pros. A fresh take on Spider-Man, one that's not bogged down in 40 years of continuity and is designed to be more modern. The characters are likable and Peter's relationships are told in much greater detail than the beginning of the 616 universe. The pacing is good and Bendis just delivers an overall great experience. The book is also more daring than the 616 books.

The cons, well...I guess some stories are more boring than others. Overall it's just a really fun comic though.

The pros would be decent art for the first 110 issues...

The cons are simply boring stories and IT'S NOT SPIDER-MAN!!!! :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Having said that, I've grown a little fond of Miles since the Spider-Men mini... :wow:

Is essential the same thing as the Marvel Masterworks? Cause I've got several of those and I think the last issue I read through was #160 something. It's been awhile, I'll have to check to remember.

The Essentials are black & white reprints of ASM... but they are cheap... about 20 bucks for about 20 to 25 issues... I think it's up to vol. 11... and covers up to ASM #248...

The MasterWorks are hard-covered coloured versions of ASM and covers only 10 issues of ASM but they are closer to $50 in cost... they are up to volume 14... and covers up to ASM #142

I basically have both... as well as the original comics, so it's not a big deal to me, but cost can be a factor to some people...

You get more bang for your buck with the Essentials, but at the cost the colouring...

Last edited:
What are the pros and cons to the Ultimate series?

The first few arcs of Ultimate are great, (like the first 4) then it goes really downhill both writing-wise and artwork-wise.

I'll just say what everyone else seems to be saying- Just buy the Essential volumes from 1-200 and you'll be set.

Wait...are we suggesting good stories or...?

lol. I can't help but wonder if there's a bit of a bias in that suggestion.

I've got some nostalgia for the clone saga books, but I'd never recommend them to a relative newcomer asking for some solid Spidey reads.

The Essentials are black & white reprints of ASM... but they are cheap... about 20 bucks for about 20 to 25 issues... I think it's up to vol. 11... and covers up to ASM #248...

The MasterWorks are hard-covered coloured versions of ASM and covers only 10 issues of ASM but they are closer to $50 in cost... they are up to volume 14... and covers up to ASM #142

I basically have both... as well as the original comics, so it's not a big deal to me, but cost can be a factor to some people...

You get more bang for your buck with the Essentials, but at the cost the colouring...

The Masterworks are offered in paperback form now. With some pretty sweet covers. They started in 2009 with Marvel's 50th anniversary.
512Qw2wDmEL._SS500_.jpg

Not sure where you're reading. Most people love Ultimate. Probably the best Spidey title of the last two decades honestly.

Eh, to be honest I'm not sure where I've been reading either. I have seen people make comments about the lack of certain elements from the Ultimate series with the portrayal of the villains to be one of the bigger downers.

Um, there are a lot of pros. A fresh take on Spider-Man, one that's not bogged down in 40 years of continuity and is designed to be more modern. The characters are likable and Peter's relationships are told in much greater detail than the beginning of the 616 universe. The pacing is good and Bendis just delivers an overall great experience. The book is also more daring than the 616 books.

The cons, well...I guess some stories are more boring than others. Overall it's just a really fun comic though.

Cool. Thanks man. I ordered the Ultimate Collection volume 1 on Amazon. It should be here in a couple of days and I'll hopefully like it. :woot:

The pros would be decent art for the first 110 issues...

The cons are simply boring stories and IT'S NOT SPIDER-MAN!!!! :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Having said that, I've grown a little fond of Miles since the Spider-Men mini... :wow:

Why isn't it Spider-man?? (<--- serious question)

I guess I have all the Masterworks then...for some reason I thought they went beyond #142. The Essentials sound like a good buy for me. I'm not much into comic collecting, I'd rather just have the stories to read and enjoy, so I'll probably just pick up the Essentials from somewhere around #142 and go up to #248 eventually. :yay:

The first few arcs of Ultimate are great, (like the first 4) then it goes really downhill both writing-wise and artwork-wise.

I'll just say what everyone else seems to be saying- Just buy the Essential volumes from 1-200 and you'll be set.

:up: Thanks.

Wait...are we suggesting good stories or...?

:funny:

I think it would be cool if there was a moment in Superior Spidey where Peter gained control back for just a moment, at some important time, which caused Ock to freak out.

Issue #4:

Once again, another great chapter. First of all, I'll eat my crow, Camuncoli's art here was great and rivaled Stegman's in some panels (I still lik Stegman's overall though).

For the plot itself, Massacre was once again a pretty cool villain. His complete disregard for human life is just awesome. I don't necessarily like that Stegman killed Dr. Kafka on a whim like that, although I guess her character has long outlived its purpose in the Spidey universe. The scene with Ock throwing a tantrum because Peter never got his doctorate was also pretty funny. And countdown to the May rape debates. :maybe

For the twist at the end...not sure how I feel about the way it was handled. It felt kind of out of place given what the rest of the issue was about, but we all knew he was coming back so I guess Slott had to get it rolling at some point. Can't believe how long it's been since he was used in a Spidey comic though, hope Slott does him justice.

Otto's consternation about NOT having a doctorate as Peter Parker (especially since Peter was SO CLOSE) amused the heck out of me. (I have a friend who went all the way through a film MFA program, only to leave school with it incomplete because he didn't ever finish his thesis paper. Such a waste...)

I honestly cannot wait to see Otto clash with You Know Who... hehehheheheh... heh.

The doctorate thing is a perfect example on how this SpOck era is going to help Peter Parker in the long run. By the time Pete gets his life (and body) back, he's gonna have to buy Otto a real nice gift for improving certain things.

And the scene where Ghost Peter dissipated when Ock flipped out over Dr Kafka is interesting. It seems like it could play a role in the upcoming issue when Ock seemingly takes over full control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"