BvS The Superman suit Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about them changing the suit makes me feel anxious.:funny:
They're messing with goddamn perfection!

I actually like a slightly darker red...less visually obtrusive IMO.
Superman_Art_red.jpg

Not feeling it. It's like if you had no symbol. the effect would be gone.
I prefer the yellow over the black.
I mean its always been a good imaginery for some good stuff.
change6.jpg

Superman75.jpg

The only real room for improvement imo would be the alien design patterns on the waist, which seem a little busy for busy sakes.

I prefer the cape attachment to the MOS suit, but I'm open to them making the belt more substantial like that picture.
I don't think they'll make major improvements to the waist.
A new idea came from my mind in terms on the "suit" changing. What if the superman suit was designed/modified (remember it was Kara's ship) by some kind of kryptonian software in the scout ship by Jor-el. What if Superman or STAR labs hacks that software and helps superman to make some improvements in the new suit with some Superman's wishes. Thats of course if the suit is nannobotic.
You know the lack of news make someone to make up ideas :woot:
What do you think? Be kind.

I say hire a new cinematographer, or at least go for a crisper look. Fix Superman's midsection and throw an S on the cape. Done. And please no more weepy scenes with Clark or Superman. Justice League is coming and Superman needs to be a boss.

Makes me nervous too. I'm not against change, but I hope any changes are an improvement and not a detriment to an awesome suit, lol.

I don't think they'll make major improvements to the waist.
A new idea came from my mind in terms on the "suit" changing. What if the superman suit was designed/modified (remember it was Kara's ship) by some kind of kryptonian software in the scout ship by Jor-el. What if Superman or STAR labs hacks that software and helps superman to make some improvements in the new suit with some Superman's wishes. Thats of course if the suit is nannobotic.
You know the lack of news make someone to make up ideas :woot:
What do you think? Be kind.

I don't mind those ideas, but I'm hoping the changes are minor and they won't need to explain them at all.

I hope they change the texture on the red parts of the suit and the gold parts of the belt to be smooth/smoother. I don't know why but it always seemed weird to me that those parts, especially the belt and boots, had the same "chainmail" texture as the main suit.

That's pretty close to the MOS suit.

Agreed, if they have too change the MOS suit for MOS2 I hope they go with something like that. But for continuity sake I hope they change their minds and keep the suit the same as MOS.

Last edited:
If they have to completely overhaul the suit design, I want something like this.
3697368-2411479714-1600x.jpg

tumblr_m42obcnBwE1qb18gvo2_250.gif

Lol, jk... but yeah, that would be a worst case scenario for me. I really, really hate the New 52 suit. It would slice my interest in the film right down in half.

Superman_Art_edited.jpg

MANIP BY GLASSJAW (1ST ONE) AND THE COLOR CHANGE THANKS TO BATFAN1979.

I'd much rather they went full yellow and with a somewhat shiny material, like in this Birthright cover. What would that be, satin? And that's only if they wanted to revamp the cape too, because all red works well enough IMO.

Superman_Birthright_11.jpg

tumblr_n2d8jtvnct1ry8rcwo2_500.gif

The lighting clearly gives some more color. Notice the yellow here.

The yellow looks better there but the suit itself looks black.

that's why i always push for the more vibrant blue... since we have green screen, the blue wont be affected by it, and if there are problems with the blue, you can always darken it in post...

that's why, i think, working with bright colors is better because one can always go in and darken the colors to their liking

I think a bit more vibrant blue is all this suit needs

that's why i always push for the more vibrant blue... since we have green screen, the blue wont be affected by it, and if there are problems with the blue, you can always darken it in post...

that's why, i think, working with bright colors is better because one can always go in and darken the colors to their liking

Exactly! I wonder though, did they film MoS with those darker, muted colors or did they apply that filter in post? For them to do that during filming would seem like a very limiting decision on their part...like you said, you can always turn down the saturation, but it's definitely harder the other way.

man_of_steel_by_phil_cho-d63fenm.jpg

I actually like this more!!! XD

Very nice!

Only one little nitpick is with where the cape attaches to the suit. I think it would look better if there was a bit o the collar between the cape attachment and the shield.

Other than that, I love how the yellow belt works and the lines that hint to the briefs.

I hope they change the texture on the red parts of the suit and the gold parts of the belt to be smooth/smoother. I don't know why but it always seemed weird to me that those parts, especially the belt and boots, had the same "chainmail" texture as the main suit.

I think that would look better too. I wanted that since the beginning but maybe this time around the red and yellow will be smooth. It would be a very subtle change but it would make the yellow and red stand out a bit and almost make it seem like the red and yellow are not of the same material and have been made part of the suit, like the blue glowing chest of Iron-Man.

I would also like the colors to appear a bit brighter like the suit looks in most photos without the filter. Those would be the only changes I would make to the suit.

Last edited:
Ok I don't necessarily want this for MOS2, but another design I think could translate well in live action is the Smallville season 11 suit.
Season_11_Superman.PNG

The one thing I really dislike about this design is the two ton blue. I'd make the blue part one solid shade of blue.

That's pretty much the Returns suit without the trunks.

The MOS suit is one of the best CBM adaptations I've ever seen. I wouldn't make any drastic changes outside of some brighter blue or yellowing.

this was a darker scene of the movie, however i personally think this manip shows that using less cyan actually adds to the majestic feeling to the suit... you can have a dark feel and still have "darkly-bright" colors...

this is why i think making the suit dark to begin with is a mistake... when you make the suit darker from the get-go, when you film the suit in a dark setting, you lose almost all texture and visibility of the suit. for those who have seen that short 3 minute release footage from Superman Returns released by Sony Entertainment, before the filters were put in place... the colors were beautiful, but when you see Superman carry Lois into the clouds, you lose all detail in the cape because the cape itself was dyed a very dark red, a wine red in some cases.

if you have bright colors to begin with, when you film dark scenes, the light will be able to bounce more easily off of the colors, so that you dont lose detail. Plus, in post-production, you can go into the film and change the colors alltogether respectively to whatever color palette might suit your fancy. At the same time, while you darken the vibrancy of the colors, you can still keep the reflection of the light all at the same time, so while you darken the color of the suit, you dont sacrifice the detail of the suit and the reflection of the light off of the suit... and even if you want to get rid of some of the reflection, you can do that as well.

it's a win-win situation, and it's incredibly simple, not to mention probably cheaper... i dont know why film makers dont do this.

EcBSj9Z.jpg

That is pretty gorgeous. I think the purpose of the darker/more subdued colors was to play against most people's notions of Superman as being way too bright and positive. They were playing to general audiences' thirst for darker, more troubled heroes. My hope is that, now that the character has been reintroduced successfully, and that he will be contrasted against an already dark character, they will allow themselves to lighten Superman up (and not just visually).

thats my hope too... because at what he currently looks like from a color palette standpoint, Superman would look as dark as Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"