The Dark Knight Rises The 'Tusi - - - - Part 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I tried updating my flash player... still can't watch any non youtube vids.

Did you try flipping a table? that might work.

Hmmm. Ain't that a crappy thing. What browser do you use?

Oh? And what did you think?
It was good. I have to think about it a bit and take some time to absorb it as I literally just finished watching it. Prometheus was what originally struck my interest in viewing it.

It must be interesting to watch them in that order.
What? Prometheus and then Alien?

I mean, there were some parallels, but Ridley wasn't lying when he said Prometheus only shared "strands of Alien's DNA."

And weirdly enough, it's technically in chronological order.

I like the idea of making a prequel like Prometheus, revisiting familiar territory in a new way, unlike the fanservice laden prequels like 'The thing' that come out these days.

I'm watching Melancholia, taking into consideration that it's a Von Trier film, and that normal film rules don't really work when judging his films, I'd say it's not too bad. I think antichrist is a better film though.

Very similar films, not just because they take place in the same continuity but in that they use these fantastical creatures and environments to comment on some core aspects of humanity, more specifically how they comment on things like corporate greed and vanity. I think that alien is just as guilty of having unanswered questions (not plotholes, as people seem to be calling them lately) and all the backlash about Prometheus not revealing enough is preposterous. Requiring the audience to think for themselves and speculate seems to be too tall an order for most of the populace. I digress.

I liked both films, I think prometheus is definitely a ridley scott film, perhaps to a fault, and will probably go down like blade runner after a few years.

Well, how much did you enjoy Alien in comparison to Prometheus? And how would you rate the two?

Sorry if I get too wordy when talking about movies, I'm a film major, it just kinda explodes out of me.

Hmmmmm. Comparing the two? hard to say. At the moment I'd say that prometheus is the one thats sticking with me the most, and is my favorite ATM.

Yeah, I'd agree in saying I enjoyed Prometheus a bit more.

So you prefer Prometheus then?

And how would you rate them?

Oh really?

I'd give Alien an 8.5 for now, and a 9 for its time.

I'd give Prometheus a 9.

Well, you might as well discuss why you gave the scores you gave. Hell, talk and discuss all you want. :woot:

Bought Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year Edition for PS3!

Prometheus is more of a thematically cohesive film, whereas alien is a bit scattershot in it's ideas, it's brilliantly done but its hard to drill down to find more than just a slasher film in space.

Prometheus is just drenched in symbolism and meaning, most of which is present in showing the different ways in which we are motivated and driven as humans. The hired scientists represent greed, Vickers represents resentment, Weyland is obviously trying to cheat death. David is the zen one, going along simply because that is the way things are, and Then there is Shaw, who is motivated but simple genuine curiosity and love of discovery, She is motivated by just wanting to learn more, instead of just a particular outcome.

Just rattling off the top of my head...

Prometheus is beautiful looking and presents great ideas, but sufferes plotholes and character issues. Alien kept it simpler, and that's why I enjoy Alien more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"