Homecoming The Zendaya is possibly someone, maybe thread - Part 4

I enjoyed Zendaya in this and am interested to see where they go with the MJ thing, but agree she felt like she didn't really have anything to do in this one. She was good, but she wasn't just kinda there.

If it were up to me, I think I would just go all in and make Michelle the MCU version of Mary Jane at this point. Zendaya could nail the role if given the chance so just reveal that the character's middle name is Mary Jane and have her develop into the traditional depiction of the character over the course of this trilogy.

If it were up to me, I think I would just go all in and make Michelle the MCU version of Mary Jane at this point. Zendaya could nail the role if given the chance so just reveal that the character's middle name is Mary Jane and have her develop into the traditional depiction of the character over the course of this trilogy.

As much as it annoys me, I would just keep the current Michelle "MJ" Jones name as her official one, but refer to her exclusively as MJ. It's simpler that way, and honestly, it works better to just hit the ground running with this MCU MJ rather than trying to rename her. Just take this more Breakfast Club-esque single MJ, have her be revealed as Peter's Secret Scret Keepe, and have her start to morph into the clever master of social skills and Spidey's world. It's no different than making her "the girl next door" Raimi-style, and honestly, I'd like to see a more realistic, well rounded character like the kids I knew in high school than just a shallow archetype.

Zendaya was fantastic in this but she was always going to be. A bold new take on MJ making her woke and all that but I loved it

DEurvLwXoAAMGlP.jpg

Seems like he doesn't comprehend that 'different' doesn't always mean 'good'.

Please someone confirm that Marvel owns the Michelle character. It would suck for them to basically inadvertently give her away to Sony/Columbia and not have her in the comics.

Michelle needs her own doll. I'm surprised that they were not created. Her and Liz. There's money to be made in licensing for this.

I think I would have liked the character more if she had at least some one on one time with Peter to show some kind of actual connection to him and if, Frankly, the script gave her better material to work with... Actually that's maybe going too far. The material wasn't particularly bad, things like the Washington monument bit hit the nail on the head, but compared to all the other stuff around her it's not nearly as engaging or funny. Then at the end you get the reveal and it's obvious she's there just for set up for a later film. I have little issue with her being the MCU "MJ", or the changes from the comics be it personality or race. It just felt like at the end of the day in this film she felt quite superfluous.

I think I would have liked the character more if she had at least some one on one time with Peter to show some kind of actual connection to him and if, Frankly, the script gave her better material to work with... Actually that's maybe going too far. The material wasn't particularly bad, things like the Washington monument bit hit the nail on the head, but compared to all the other stuff around her it's not nearly as engaging or funny. Then at the end you get the reveal and it's obvious she's there just for set up for a later film. I have little issue with her being the MCU "MJ", or the changes from the comics be it personality or race. It just felt like at the end of the day in this film she felt quite superfluous.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Lol Seriously, not every character needs to be important to the story or plot. Some characters are present to add to the personality and theme of the movie which is where Michelle fits in and becomes relevant. The fact that they were clearly setting her up for a bigger role in a later film is beneficial in that the writers won't have to waste time on an introduction, she's already a part of Peter's world and known to the audience. This is good, imo.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Lol Seriously, not every character needs to be important to the story or plot. Some characters are present to add to the personality and theme of the movie which is where Michelle fits in and becomes relevant. The fact that they were clearly setting her up for a bigger role in a later film is beneficial in that the writers won't have to waste time on an introduction, she's already a part of Peter's world and known to the audience. This is good, imo.

It felt to me like she doesn't register and then at the end suddenly it's "Oh... I guess I should have paid more attention to her, or something?" And that's it... If she is going to be used in a much more integral part of future films it's not I that should have paid more attention to her... It's the movie itself. Again... I have no dog in the race bending/personality shift argument. That's immaterial to me. The issue is she's in the background and given sub par "comedic" lines compared to the rest of the film. She doesn't register too much or factor into the plot, Peter's arc or much of anything. The definition the character is given is pretty cliche' and adds little to the film overall. Now, if there had been some meaningful interaction with her and Peter in some way, then the payoff in a later film would have more meaning.

In a way I feel about her the way they used Bucky in CA:TFA. They did a piss poor job of establishing the depth of the Steve/Bucky relationship in TFA, to the point I suspect that they knew that there had to be more meat on the bones of it, which is why we get a flashback to Bucky and Steve after Roger's mother's funereal in TWS. Now I don't think they can do that with a Spidey sequel, but it would have helped whatever arc they may have planned for Michelle and Peter in the next film if they had bothered to do more than write sardonic, but forgettable one liners for Zendaya to mouth in this movie.

^^I'm not going to speak on much of that because it's subjective. Not every character will resonate with everyone, regardless of how much screentime they have or how important they are to the story. But I will say that a character being in the background in one movie is hardly a problem, certainly not any more so than waiting until a second movie to introduce said character. Would the latter have been better? I don't see how.

It felt to me like she doesn't register and then at the end suddenly it's "Oh... I guess I should have paid more attention to her, or something?" And that's it... If she is going to be used in a much more integral part of future films it's not I that should have paid more attention to her... It's the movie itself. Again... I have no dog in the race bending/personality shift argument. That's immaterial to me. The issue is she's in the background and given sub par "comedic" lines compared to the rest of the film. She doesn't register too much or factor into the plot, Peter's arc or much of anything. The definition the character is given is pretty cliche' and adds little to the film overall. Now, if there had been some meaningful interaction with her and Peter in some way, then the payoff in a later film would have more meaning.

In a way I feel about her the way they used Bucky in CA:TFA. They did a piss poor job of establishing the depth of the Steve/Bucky relationship in TFA, to the point I suspect that they knew that there had to be more meat on the bones of it, which is why we get a flashback to Bucky and Steve after Roger's mother's funereal in TWS. Now I don't think they can do that with a Spidey sequel, but it would have helped whatever arc they may have planned for Michelle and Peter in the next film if they had bothered to do more than write sardonic, but forgettable one liners for Zendaya to mouth in this movie.

Eh, I think we can classify the more altruistic actions of her character like walking unordered into Detention to keep Pete company at least twice as being a sign that she is part of his school support system like Ned, even if she acts as a jerk towards him. She'd be kind of like some of my associates/friends in high school, people who I'd hang out with for the company and because they did have my interests in mind even as we didn't get along verbally and had cop flicking personalities. It's kind of surprising how much you can learn to tolerate and enjoy someone's company when you may irritate each other, but don't indulge in much drama and share similar interests and a common trust.

And further, if you interpret some of her lines and scenes as I do, so that she clearly has some inkling of where Pete actually is running off to, then her character has a nice quiet complexity to her. I mean, if she knows what colors his new onesie comes in, and can understand what he does and is willing to do for others, that might accelerate any crush she may have on him, while simulataneously worrying her about his safety, irritating her about his secrecy and bad skills at deception, and exacerbate any emotions she has towards him having a crush on another girl. Her acting out and sending him mixed friendship signals would make even more sense like that.

And depending on how you interpret

i just find it amusing they tried so hard to pay homage to the breakfast club, and yet.. the only character to remotely feel like anyone from it in the final product was Michelle.. the rest of the film didn't really feel remotely influenced by TBC

So it was their intention for her to be MJ and they're proud she's nothing like MJ. No one here truly expects a one to one match up from the comics, bout I think it's fair to say most would expect the basic character traits to be present.

i just find it amusing they tried so hard to pay homage to the breakfast club, and yet.. the only character to remotely feel like anyone from it in the final product was Michelle.. the rest of the film didn't really feel remotely influenced by TBC

I don't see it myself either. Outside of an overbaked Ferris Bueler scene homage (including the actual scene from the movie itself as if to say "hey, in case you didn't get it") and being hit over the head with the concept in interviews that this would be like a John Hughes movie I didn't feel it did.

I wonder how many kids wanted to see the movie just because Zendaya's in it. Disney Channel capitalized on it pretty well.

How about her fans already rush to see it opening weekend thus lead to a big drop 2nd weekend?

yeah.. i didn't feel "john hughes" at all with this tbh

There was a deleted scene after after the party where Flash passes his falling down drunk girlfriend off to Ned and tells him to "have fun" with her. Ned drives off with her and then later she wakes up after he's given her the old Bill Cosby experience.

That would have made it feel more like a John Hughes film.

I wonder how many kids wanted to see the movie just because Zendaya's in it. Disney Channel capitalized on it pretty well.
Not that many. We aren't exactly talking about Hannah Montana here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"