Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, Thor's sequel should be about delving into his universe and telling a truely epic story so any "romance" should come second to that.

I'm not against romance either, but I feel thatit's taken too central of a role in cmb films as well.

Which is why I think Thor and Jane should realize its not going to work between them by the end of Thor II. He can't settle down on earth (this isn't the Dr. Blake Thor here) and she can't keep up with him and where he has to go. Sif can. As Thor grows closer to the throne of Asgard, only Sif among his interests is a fitting Asgardian Queen. He should realize this as time goes on and he matures as a man.

Which is why I think Thor and Jane should realize its not going to work between them by the end of Thor II. He can't settle down on earth (this isn't the Dr. Blake Thor here) and she can't keep up with him and where he has to go. Sif can. As Thor grows closer to the throne of Asgard, only Sif among his interests is a fitting Asgardian Queen. He should realize this as time goes on and he matures as a man.

Most definately it only makes sense, so hopefully this is the direction Marvel decides to take since it's clearly the most sensible.

It would be so refreshing to see this. Not every relationship has a storybook ending.

Hey, did we change our user names at the same time, Odinson? Jinx!

The romantic aspect of the next movie could either be Sif or Jane--don't care--but I really hope it's not the central story. Not every superhero movie has to have a love angle in it. I'm not against romance in general, but I feel like it's taken too central a role lately.

Its Thor though, the love angle is integral to his story especially Stan Lee/Larry Lieber's Thor.

It would be so refreshing to see this. Not every relationship has a storybook ending.

Its Thor, based on Myth and folklore. That is where the storybook endings come from.

We can only judge that by what we know of the comics though and being with Sif always seems like Thor retreating to his boyhood and being his father's good kid. Growing up and getting out of Odin's shadow means defying him and that should be encapsulated by his love of Jane.

Also, if you want to go Ultimate. Ultimate Odin sent Thor to 'bring together' humanity and Asgardians. Thor without a connection to Earth is not Thor.

A fitting Asgardian Queen can talk sense into Thor, she is someone he listens to and respects. Nothing I would associate with Sif. Even in the movie, Sif says not to go to Jotunheim and Thor ignores her. Jane tells him not to smash things and he doesn't. Jane is a fundamental part of Thor's humility, she doesn't accept anything less and he knows that and aspires to be better because of it.

Its Thor though, the love angle is integral to his story especially Stan Lee/Larry Lieber's Thor.

Its Thor, based on Myth and folklore. That is where the storybook endings come from.

We can only judge that by what we know of the comics though and being with Sif always seems like Thor retreating to his boyhood and being his father's good kid. Growing up and getting out of Odin's shadow means defying him and that should be encapsulated by his love of Jane.

Also, if you want to go Ultimate. Ultimate Odin sent Thor to 'bring together' humanity and Asgardians. Thor without a connection to Earth is not Thor.

A fitting Asgardian Queen can talk sense into Thor, she is someone he listens to and respects. Nothing I would associate with Sif. Even in the movie, Sif says not to go to Jotunheim and Thor ignores her. Jane tells him not to smash things and he doesn't. Jane is a fundamental part of Thor's humility, she doesn't accept anything less and he knows that and aspires to be better because of it.

This is MCU Thor. It doesn't have to be exactly like the books.

Think back to all of the superhero movies since Superman. How many didn't have romance plots? All I'm saying is that too many movies with the same themes/plots tend to get old fast. I'd like Thor to be different.

IA and IMO Sif from the movie brings nothing to Thor's character. Who cares if they hooked up. There is no conflict, no story. There is a way to juggle the romance aspect with Jane and the warrior aspect of Thor without Thor 2 becoming a romantic film ala Nicholas Sparks. LOL

I think they should make it a love triangle between Thor, Jane, and Sif. That way, if Natalie Portman ever decides to back out of Thor 3, they can resolve the triangle by hooking Thor up with Sif. Personally, I don't have confidence that Portman will stick with the trilogy to the end, so Sif may be a better choice as Thor's romantic interest in the long run.

I quite liked this bit from Feige's interview:

The movies we've already announced are the ones we're working on most heavily and are the ones that are frankly taking up most of our imagination right now; how to bring Tony Stark back in a way that is unexpected and surprises people, how to evolve the Thor franchise and the Captain America franchise in new and unexpected ways to elevate them beyond what they started as," Feige said. "Doing something completely unexpected, outside the box, we're going to do that on these other Cap movies and Thor movies and Iron Man movies."

I quite liked this bit from Feige's interview:

Yep those bits were awesome, hopefully that means the romance is done in a way that sets it apart from other CMB films.

Honestly I don't care if Thor picks Sif or Jane, but I DO want whatever direction they take to be done in a refreshing way.

how do you change your user name? i only see the ability to change my custom title

You can send a PM to one of the mods. I sent mine to C. Lee. Plan on only doing it once, though, because they don't like it when people keep changing their names.

I'm gonna change mine to "KingThor" one of these days, but for right now I'll stick with the one I have. :cool:

This is MCU Thor. It doesn't have to be exactly like the books.

Think back to all of the superhero movies since Superman. How many didn't have romance plots? All I'm saying is that too many movies with the same themes/plots tend to get old fast. I'd like Thor to be different.

But using the source material is the only way we can decide these things right now when it comes to Sif. She was a generic plot device in Thor rather than a character. All we know is that she's loyal and likes to fight.

Its just funny to me that people say Thor of all characters doesn't need a romance plot. When we first met him he was defined by his constant 'I want to marry Jane, Jane will never marry me' inner dialogue and then that grew into the crap love triangle of the 70s. Its an essential part of Thor history. Its not like Tony who had Pepper taken from him very early on and then went on to become a hoe.

IA and IMO Sif from the movie brings nothing to Thor's character. Who cares if they hooked up. There is no conflict, no story. There is a way to juggle the romance aspect with Jane and the warrior aspect of Thor without Thor 2 becoming a romantic film ala Nicholas Sparks. LOL

They have the same problem in the comics. There is a lack of story, she just hangs around moaning about him. With Jane we are rooting for them to get together against Odin's disapproval.

But using the source material is the only way we can decide these things right now when it comes to Sif. She was a generic plot device in Thor rather than a character. All we know is that she's loyal and likes to fight.

Its just funny to me that people say Thor of all characters doesn't need a romance plot. When we first met him he was defined by his constant 'I want to marry Jane, Jane will never marry me' inner dialogue and then that grew into the crap love triangle of the 70s. Its an essential part of Thor history. Its not like Tony who had Pepper taken from him very early on and then went on to become a hoe.

They have the same problem in the comics. There is a lack of story, she just hangs around moaning about him. With Jane we are rooting for them to get together against Odin's disapproval.

See, I think it's funny that you believe Thor has to have a romance plot. Of all the Avengers, he has the most to do, with villains scattered across the nine realms. How is Jane supposed to fit in that? Will he take her everywhere? I don't see how you put Jane in the movie without sacrificing the story. She's an anchor more than anything. I want to see Thor challenged by more than deciding who he wants to marry.

I liked Jane Foster, that gave Thor more reasons to be earthbound and have his girl in trouble for good stories.

Sif has always been there but I don't think he have the level of interest he had in Jane in the early stories.

However I don't think they could make it work now.

See, I think it's funny that you believe Thor has to have a romance plot. Of all the Avengers, he has the most to do, with villains scattered across the nine realms. How is Jane supposed to fit in that? Will he take her everywhere? I don't see how you put Jane in the movie without sacrificing the story. She's an anchor more than anything. I want to see Thor challenged by more than deciding who he wants to marry.

I agree on all counts, Thor exploring and defending ALL of the realms from evil forces is alot more important than either Jane or Sif.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"